Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2009, 10:10 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,477,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Why are you asking me about hypocrisy? I actually didn't think Reagan was a bad guy, but it's not like he's Jesus.

Question for the older folks here: Did the Democrats worship FDR in the same way? Like in the 70s when they weren't doing well, were they always hearking back to FDR, about the "good old days?"
He was elected 4 times, despite 15%+ unemployment. They freaking loved him. That's what real political leaders are like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Back to post #5 - The evil people "brittanyfox" talks about were mostly Jews but she doesn’t have the courage to make her complaints clear.

Regan simply arranged a system where he and his wealthy colleagues would lend their money to the government instead of paying their fair share in taxes. His goal was to destroy a progressive income tax system and it was accomplished. With out a steeply progressive tax the lower middle class winds up paying the rich to use their money to wage foreign wars for the benefit of the military and oil oligopolies.

IMHO the Regan legacy is institutionalizing the GREAT RIPOFF of the American people.

Holy sh** mental midgetism sucks....

Old 06-26-2009, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmg1 View Post
I'm not a big believer in polls, but if you do consider them, Reagan was listed very high in polls when asked "Who Was the Greatest President?"

#5 of 14 by ABC, #9 of 20 by Rasmussen, #2 of 16 by Washington College Poll, #2 of 16 by Gallup.

When asked "Who Was the Worst President", Reagan was rated #8 of 12. George W was rated the worst BTW, no surprise there.

This was from a wikipedia article, but references the above institutions:
Historical rankings of United States Presidents - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I should also mention the polls are a bit dated, ABC was from 2000.
He finished, after Iran contra, higher than almost any other president. It's amazing after all he achieved how they still underestimate. It's about time for these folks to learn something about their previous leaders.

Old 06-26-2009, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVofM View Post
reagan was one of the WORST presidents ever. His eight years of vetoing a min. wage increase when it was a a paltry 3.35/hr, his veto of the clean water act, his support of apatheid in So. Africa - even called Nelson Mandela a terrorist...reagan was almost as bad as nixon and bush-2.
You're gaining credit by the miles with your awesome grammar and spelling. Great judgment for all the illiterates out there keeping track...

Old 06-26-2009, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post
It's interesting that someone brought up polls. A poll simply reflects people's attitude/rememberance/concept of a President. The polls show that people think that Reagan;

1. "He brought down the Berlin wall." In fact his "Mr. Gorbachov, tear down this wall" speech was not directed at the Kremlin, but at his right wing attackers (particularly Newt Gingrich) at home.

2. He "got the country (job market) moving again." Hmmm, so apparently the business cycle didn't apply back in the '80s.

3. "He put through the biggest tax cut." Followed by some of the biggest tax increases. And of course gas prices coming down had not effect on the economy picking up.

4. "He shrunk the size of government." Wrong, he increased it, Clinton did shrink it though, how about that!

5. "He was tough with our enemies." Actually he was more than willing to talk to our enemies. Go check the record, he was often in trouble with the right wing at home because of this. See #1 above.

I think he was a good President, not great, not bad. I don't think he was "an amiable dunce" as many think. He was smart enough, and a good enough actor to appeal to stupid as well as smart people. His idea of totally deregulating everything was an unmitigated disaster. His banking dereg led right to the S&L mess, the cure of which led to where we've gotten now. The regulations put in during the '30s led to a long period of sustained growth. Since the deregulation bug bit we've lurched from housing crisis to tech boom to banking and insurance crisis.

A good Presisent, not great, not bad, good.

golfgod
Revisionism, it's great on drugs... None of that can be backed up by facts but much of it can be backed up by opinions and slander...

Old 06-26-2009, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoBankerGirl View Post
"He brought down the Berlin wall." In fact his "Mr. Gorbachov, tear down this wall" speech was not directed at the Kremlin, but at his right wing attackers (particularly Newt Gingrich) at home.

Okay, this is just silly.

First of all, you are presuming to know what his motive is and asserting your presumption as a fact.

Second, he was in Berlin when he made the speech. The people gathered in East Berlin could hear him. But you don't think it was directed toward them?
If he knew how on the edge Reagan was with saying that and how fiercely he had to go after his speech writers to keep it in the speech he'd known he was dead wrong. He'd also might ask himself how to understand complex problems and countries situations. If they'd do that they'd understand how on the fringe Reagan was with his rhetoric. Simple minds though... they're told he was bad so that it must be...

Old 06-26-2009, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
The Reagan regime supported murderous dictatorships in El Salvador and Guatemala with U.S. tax dollars, military "training" and special ops forces on the ground. He was responsible for the murder of thousands of innocent people. He was a pig.

And no one has even mentioned Iran-Contra. Remember that? Illegally selling arms to Iran to fund the Contras? The same Iran that's killing its people in the streets today.

Reagan worship? Might as well be devil worship.
While your still on chapter 4 the other 12 chapters were written and done. thanks for playing.

Old 06-26-2009, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I thought Reagan was a nice guy, but I have been very puzzled about the hero worship that has surfaced in the last 10 or so years.

Truman was one of the best Presidents we have ever had. He gets very little notice, it seems.

FDR created a huge welfare state. However, that was NOT his intent. If you study the legislation he backed and the programs he was instrumental in creating - they were to be TEMPORARY.

John Kennedy actually did very little as far as legislation. Yet, b/c he was assassinated, he has been canonized. I always found that weird. He got us into Viet Nam . . . (read your history b/f you tell me I am wrong).

Carter is a good man but as a Prez - dismal.

Nixon was good on foreign policy but his own personal issues led him to make some totally stupid mistakes.

Clinton got us into trade agreements that have ended up w/ our jobs being outsourced and a huge imbalance of trade w/ China.

You can't even say GWB w/o people throwing eggs, even tho the man did the right things after 9/11. When he took us into Iraq, he screwed the pooch, big time. God only knows when we will get ourselves extracted from that hell hole. (I thought Obama promised to get our troops out? At least Nixon did what he said he would do and got us the hell outta Viet Nam).

I honestly don't remember anything Reagan accomplished that was so extraordinary. I remember Iran-Contra . . . and Trickle Down Economics . . . and a terrible recession (for y'all who are too young - wait til you see what is ahead for us - Recessions SUCK). Even Gorbachev said this stuff about Reagan influencing the collapse of the Soviet Union is hogwash . . .

So . . . I dunno.

Yes, I am a registered Republican. I admire FDR b/c of the way he handled WWII and for establishing public works projects (Conservation Corps). He is probably my favorite Prez of the last 70 years. Reagan - nice guy . . . but I didn't feel he was that effective while he was in office.
9 Things You Probably Did Not Know About Ronald Reagan's Radio Career Address at Moscow State University (May 31, 1988) - Miller Center of Public Affairs Address by President Reagan to the Houses of the Oireachtas, 4 June 1984 American Thinker: A talent for intelligence Book Review: Venona and The Haunted Wood Context of 'May 1981: Soviet Union Prepares for US First Strike' Florey1.pdf (application/pdf Object) (http://www.nuc.berkeley.edu/dept/Courses/E-24/E-24Projects/Florey1.pdf - broken link) FSU Contributor: "Reagan's Renaissance" Part 2 in Series by Reagan Renaissance 07/08/2004 Historical Inflation data from 1914 to the present Hoover Institution - Hoover Digest - Reagan, in His Own Hand http://www.writing.upenn.edu/~afilreis/50s/chambers-review.html Joe McCarthy Was Right Joseph McCarthy: Re-examining the ... - Google Book Search NOVA Online | Secrets, Lies, and Atomic Spies | Read Venona Intercepts President Reagan: The Role of a Lifetime - Google Book Search President Ronald Reagan: Winning the Cold War » HistoryNet Reagan 1947 HUAC testimony (http://www.twcnet.edu/cschutz/history-page/Consensus/Reagan-huac-testimony.html - broken link) Reagan, all-American, dies at 93 - The Boston Globe Reagan, in His Own Hand: The ... - Google Book Search Reagan's Address at the Brandenburg Gate�A Retrospective Look 20 Years Later - Miller Center of Public Affairs Ronald Reagan - A Tribute (http://www.ronaldreaganmemorial.com/a_tribute.asp - broken link) Ronald Reagan Honored God Ronald Reagan Presidential Library, National Archives and Records Administration Ronald Reagan Video | The Presidents | American Experience | PBS Ronald Reagan: a Study in Manliness Ronald Reagan's Military Buildup The Secret History of the KGB | Insight on the News | Find Articles at BNET The Secret World of American ... - Google Book Search The Soviet Weapons Program - The Tsar Bomba Town Meeting of the World: "The Image of America and the Youth of the World" - John F. Kennedy Presidential Library & Museum UC Berkeley Library Social Activism Sound Recording Project: Anti-Vietnam War Protests - San Francisco Bay Area Venona: What My Father Didn’t Know Reagan's Crusade for Freedom Speech Tributes and Tears - TIME An Optimist's Legacy (washingtonpost.com) The Rise and Fall of the Brezhnev Doctrine in Soviet Foreign Policy

If you ever get curious....

Old 06-26-2009, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talbet View Post
Worship? What a failed actor that the right built into some jesus type of myth? I never worshiped him, I did not even like his lousy movies.
How about the 72 lives saved? The repairing of a budget that was losing $1 million a day in California? 8 Years and the determination of bringing down the Berlin Wall. Not something he figured out a week prior. There is documentation having him calling for the fall of the wall 20 years previous. Just sayin...

Old 06-26-2009, 10:29 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,328,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
All you have to do is call the Contras "anti-Communist forces in Central America" to prove you're clueless about Reagan policies in Central America in the 80's. He was responsible for countless murders of innocent people in the region. There's nothing heroic about a mass murderer.
Yeah, but it was for a good cause - the W.R. Grace Company.

They both got away with murder.

Libby, Montana A History of Asbestos Disease (http://www.mesothel.com/asbestos-cancer/lawsuits/libby-montanta/libby.htm - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies