Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2009, 03:49 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,715,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
You obviously have no idea what you are talking about.

In the late 70s, the US supported the Shah, when we offered him asylum, the Iranian people went ballistic. Hostages were taken, and the event pretty much marks the beginning of the Iranian Revolution where the Shah's government was overthrown, replaced with the Ayatollah. As such, Iran went from being a US ally, to being an enemy.

Someone by the name of Saddam Hussein was at war with Iran. How does the cliche go? The enemy of my enemy is my friend. As such we supported Saddam and Iraq in their war against Iran. Part of the motivation for providing that assistance was providing weapons to forces that were against the Ayatollah in Iran.

A plan was devised to pass weapons through Israel, to a moderate and politically influential group in Iran that opposed the Ayatollah. At the same time, the idea was to sell the weapons, so that the mediator would negotiate for the release of American hostages held by Hezbollah. The problem was, the so called 'moderate' group was infiltrated by members loyal to the Ayatollah....

Proceeds from these weapons sales went to the Contras, who were anti-Communist forces in Central America. I should not need to go in depth, as I believe everyone here knows the reasoning behind not wanting a second country sympathetic to the Soviets in such proximity to the US.
All you have to do is call the Contras "anti-Communist forces in Central America" to prove you're clueless about Reagan policies in Central America in the 80's. He was responsible for countless murders of innocent people in the region. There's nothing heroic about a mass murderer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 09:44 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,321,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equality4all View Post
No, he was in fact a homophobic BIGOT:

"On April 2, 1987, Reagan said: "How that information is used must be up to schools and parents, not government. But let's be honest with ourselves, AIDS information can not be what some call 'value neutral.' After all, when it comes to preventing AIDS, don't medicine and morality teach the same lessons."

Reagan's AIDSGATE

Go there and you can hear the audio of his bigotry, in his own words.
What he said does not mean he is a "homophobic bigot." He was stating what was his opinion.
Just because you don't agree with it doesn't make him out to be what you claim.

So tell me, how much did the Clinton administration spend on HIV/AIDS?

Old 06-26-2009, 09:53 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,312,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
What he said does not mean he is a "homophobic bigot." He was stating what was his opinion.
Just because you don't agree with it doesn't make him out to be what you claim.

So tell me, how much did the Clinton administration spend on HIV/AIDS?

I would like to know that myself.

Old 06-26-2009, 10:01 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,473,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
When Reagan ran for president I remember laughing with some friends and saying; "Can you imagine that anyone would vote for a movie actor for president?" Sure he had been elected governor in CA but folks in California were always doing something strange. When he was elected....and then re-elected I thought the country had lost their collective minds. I didn't then....and still don't today....understand what in the world anyone saw in the guy.
You and millions and millions of others. His whole life was already upfront for everyone to see. Imagine trying to run against a lifeguard, actor, radio host, governor, president and the only union card carrying president to live. You or no one else would have a chance. He gave America something it couldn't get from taxing and spending, a sense of pride in understanding what a beautiful thing democracy is. Please don't disregard our history because of it's inequities.

Quote:
Our democracy must be not only the envy of the world but the engine of our own renewal. There is nothing wrong with America that cannot be cured by what is right with America.

Old 06-26-2009, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCity09 View Post
Reagan was a epic fail...the creator of todays mess.
Damn the guy has been out of office for 21 years... He's been dead for 5.

Old 06-26-2009, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
Fdr was the begining of the US becoming a first world country and Reagan was the begining of us becoming a second world country.
Right...

If you'll ignore all the previous story before him. Let me guess you'll argue how great the Carter years were....

Old 06-26-2009, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by california_is_superior View Post
Ahh the easily amused... You'd do yourself some good and avoid crap like that site and actually look into government documents. In fact Reagan has over 600 yellow legal note pads if you'd like to delve into a real thinker and communicator.

Old 06-26-2009, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Right...

If you'll ignore all the previous story before him. Let me guess you'll argue how great the Carter years were....

Yes they will. Most libs think Carter was a great President.

Old 06-26-2009, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Damn the guy has been out of office for 21 years... He's been dead for 5.

Reagan bothers these people for some reason.

They are afraid another great one like Reagan may come along soon and wipe out the democratic party for years.

Old 06-26-2009, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I kind of thought it was funny when he first ran against Ford in the primary but as a President Reagan was probably one of the most effective. I didn't agree with him on anything he did- very little of it anyway- but he was dealing with a Democratic Congress and Senate and still managed to get what he wanted out of them. Carter was a Democrat and could not get anything out of his own Congress.
That's what an austere leader does... That's what he did...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies