Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 03:52 PM

980 posts, read 1,147,815 times

Advertisements

"The NBA’s America

by Steven LaTulippe

"Most athletes, they hunger for the Olympics every four years. They spend their lives wanting to get there and that's what they want to do. But we're different. We've just finished an 82-game season and we want to chill out."

~ Seattle SuperSonics guard Ray Allen
on why NBA players should be paid to play in the Olympics

In my childhood, I spent many an evening watching professional basketball games with my father. Having been born and raised in Massachusetts, he was a die-hard Boston Celtics fan. Together, we watched the glorious rebirth of the Celtics in the 1980s with such luminaries as Larry Bird and Kevin McHale. He would always reminisce about the legendary Boston teams of the 1950s and the heroics of men like Bill Russell and John Havlicek.

But by the mid 1990s, he had stopped watching basketball altogether, and a couple of years later, I followed suit.

I was reminded of the wisdom of that choice the other evening while at a friend’s house. He happened to be watching the NBA playoffs, so I joined him for a while.

By any reasonable standard, the NBA today is a squalid and obscene mutation of what it once was. Having enjoyed the game in its better days only makes its current status all the more painful.

The violence, the obscenity, and the pompous arrogance that accompany modern basketball have destroyed the sport for any respectable fan. I’ve lost count of the number of news stories I’ve seen concerning professional players and their assaults, weapons charges, and drug convictions. And it hasn’t always been like this…there has been an undeniable disintegration of standards across the league. (Can anyone imagine Celtics great K.C. Jones trying to strangle Red Auerbach at practice, à la Latrell Sprewell?)

To make matters worse, many of them seem to be more concerned with their music and film careers than with cultivating fan loyalty to their team and the sport

Without doubt, the rot that is the NBA finally came out into the open in last year’s Olympic Games in Athens. There, the world got to see a team full of players with 8-figure salaries loaf, bumble, and curse their way to mediocrity. They finally stumbled their way to a bronze medal after being defeated by several nations the size of postage stamps.

The reasons behind that pathetic performance were threefold and obvious:..."

The NBA’s America by Steven LaTulippe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 03:57 PM

No doubt, racial differences exist. But don't point to the NFL or NBA and tell me that is proof. Bologna! Those people got there because of affirmative action; not because it was good for the team, the sport or the fans.

Look at Ali boxing. He doesn't even seem to be in the same class as someone like Rocky Marciano. Yet, we are told ad nauseam, he was the greatest!

Old 01-11-2010, 04:01 PM

It's just like Hollywood. All we get is crap and we're told, ad nauseam, how wonderful it is! Bologna! Hollywood used to generate good actors, because it developed them. Not anymore! It's the same crap in Hollyweird as it is in Sports: affirmative action and the quality goes down the drain

Oh, and the irony of it all: they charge a fortune for the crap and it used to be cheap!!!

Old 01-11-2010, 04:04 PM

Here's proof of racial differences:

"The Color of Crime

Race, Crime, and Justice in America
Second, Expanded Edition, 2005

Major Findings:

Police and the justice system are not biased against minorities.
Crime Rates

Blacks are seven times more likely than people of other races to commit murder, and eight times more likely to commit robbery.
When blacks commit crimes of violence, they are nearly three times more likely than non-blacks to use a gun, and more than twice as likely to use a knife.
Hispanics commit violent crimes at roughly three times the white rate, and Asians commit violent crimes at about one quarter the white rate.
The single best indicator of violent crime levels in an area is the percentage of the population that is black and Hispanic.
Interracial Crime

Of the nearly 770,000 violent interracial crimes committed every year involving blacks and whites, blacks commit 85 percent and whites commit 15 percent.
Blacks commit more violent crime against whites than against blacks. Forty-five percent of their victims are white, 43 percent are black, and 10 percent are Hispanic. When whites commit violent crime, only three percent of their victims are black.
Blacks are an estimated 39 times more likely to commit a violent crime against a white than vice versa, and 136 times more likely to commit robbery.
Blacks are 2.25 times more likely to commit officially-designated hate crimes against whites than vice versa.
Gangs

Only 10 percent of youth gang members are white.
Hispanics are 19 times more likely than whites to be members of youth gangs. Blacks are 15 times more likely, and Asians are nine times more likely.
Incarceration

Between 1980 and 2003 the US incarceration rate more than tripled, from 139 to 482 per 100,000, and the number of prisoners increased from 320,000 to 1.39 million.
Blacks are seven times more likely to be in prison than whites. Hispanics are three times more likely"

Major Findings of The Color of Crime -- Second, Expanded Edition (2005)

Oh, but you probably think that's all just "institutional racism," right...

Old 01-11-2010, 04:29 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,215,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Boyardee View Post
To give just one example, even though whites are only 10 percent of the world's population, they win over 90 percent of the medals at the Winter Olympics and over 70 percent of the medals at the Summer Olympics, including many medals in sprinting and jumping.

Caste Football's goal is to see that white athletes are respected for their abilities, and that they receive the same opportunities to succeed as non-white athletes."

Caste Football (http://www.castefootball.us/aboutus.asp - broken link)
I don't know who exactly wrote this article, but I think they are ignoring the facts. When they talk about how whites win medals for sprinting and jumping, I think they are being a little obtuse. No whites ever win any medals in sprints in the Olympics. I have already poured over the numbers.

Lets look at the Beijing Olympics. In the 100 m and 200 m(actual sprints), not a single white person. Most were African-Americans and one Usain Bolt from Jamaica, all of which are of West African descent. In the long distance running, the 5000m and the 10,000m all the winners were from East Africa, Ethiopia and Kenya. If we look at the high jump, it seems like whites do favorably(surprisingly), but the long jump and the triple jump are completely dominated by blacks.

Athletics at the 2008 Summer Olympics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you adjust for known physical differences, it is easy to see what Olympic events are dominated by each race.

Most Americans are white, and would prefer to see whites dominate all sporting events. Anyone who believes that NFL teams or even college football teams are choosing black athletes over white athletes because of some unfair system, they are dilluding themselves. NFL teams want to win, they will not intentionally disadvantage themselves by refusing to use white athletes if they are the best athlete. What might look like some racial selectivism from the outside is merely a system that chooses the best athletes. Blacks are just better cornerbacks because they have great quickness, that position requires more quickness than any other position on the field. Everyone knows about it, I have seen several documentaries talking about it. If a college chooses a black cornerback or running back it is because they understand why black cornerbacks and running backs are much more likely to be a better player. I am sorry if you think it is unfair, the world isn't fair.

If that white athlete is truly better in that position, he will eventually have his time to prove himself on the field, in the NFL combine, the draft, and later in the league itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies