Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 03:41 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,300,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
There's no such thing as race. The concept of race doesn't exist in my world.

Period.
Nope. And there is no such things as different kinds of animals. A cat is a cat. That's what I say. Different kinds of cats do not exist in my world. They are all equal. A tiger is no different than a house cat. That's just a myth.

- Reel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2009, 04:05 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,554,984 times
Default Attitude defines us

I suspect that you will always find some way to validate that kind of thinking, but my experiences prove different. As a young woman in a racially biased county in Michigan, my parents were NOT racists, and I didn't even know there was such a thing until we moved to a more urban area in my pre-teens.

Then, mixed marriages were reviled, and mixed babies were "damned," which I never understood, because I was entranced by the exotic beauty of the blacks and hispanics I met, and found their babies adorable.

Then, there were still lynchings and people were fighting for/against civil rights. Now, with those rights in place, with education and jobs more available -- those there are still many areas needed to improve, things are better.

We never have to accept hate into our lives, and we can ALWAYS neutralize it by demonstrating our own love.

I sincerely hope that you can find the way to overcome your fear, which is always an open door to hatred. Once that door is closed to hate, you will find your world a better place to live in, and more appreciated.

Good luck.

Old 07-12-2009, 09:05 AM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,846,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I suspect that you will always find some way to validate that kind of thinking, but my experiences prove different. As a young woman in a racially biased county in Michigan, my parents were NOT racists, and I didn't even know there was such a thing until we moved to a more urban area in my pre-teens.

Then, mixed marriages were reviled, and mixed babies were "damned," which I never understood, because I was entranced by the exotic beauty of the blacks and hispanics I met, and found their babies adorable.

Then, there were still lynchings and people were fighting for/against civil rights. Now, with those rights in place, with education and jobs more available -- those there are still many areas needed to improve, things are better.

We never have to accept hate into our lives, and we can ALWAYS neutralize it by demonstrating our own love.

I sincerely hope that you can find the way to overcome your fear, which is always an open door to hatred. Once that door is closed to hate, you will find your world a better place to live in, and more appreciated.

Good luck.

this post is ridiculous. seriously, are we still living in the artificial we are the world mentality? I assume you are talking to me, since I made the original post. I am not "racist." the post wasn't about me, it was about society. no fear here.

Old 07-12-2009, 09:22 AM

My post was directed to the OP, and regardless of your reception of my post, it remains my opinion. I didn't intend to infer you were a racist, only that you believed racism would always be with us. To that, I disagreed. I explained why I disagreed.

Before I forget: yes, look around, you are in the WORLD. With nearly seven billion of us, that world shrinks daily, and your actions matter more than ever.

I did say that you exhibited fear, in my opinion, because I believe that it is fear that would cause a person to think a negative situation cannot improve. The fact that you feel the need to give reproach leads me to believe I was correct. Perhaps it is you that needs to "get over it."

If you cannot accept opinions other than your own, and seek only validation of your beliefs, perhaps you would be better served in the blog area, rather than the forum?

Regardless of your response to me, I still wish you luck.

Old 07-12-2009, 09:23 AM

1,635 posts, read 1,950,661 times
[SIZE=2]Interesting how one of the men who discovered DNA even thinks that there is a evolutional difference in Black Africans and White Europeans intelligence levels. In London to promote a new book, Nobel Prize-winning geneticist James Watson provoked widespread outrage after the co-discoverer of DNA's structure told a newspaper that Africans and Europeans had different levels of intelligence. http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/10/18/world/main3379730.shtml?source=RSSattr=HOME_3379730 It is possible that Black Africans that were isolated below the Sahara developed over the past 100,000 years differently than Europeans. Skin color and many other physical features have evolved since man left it's cradle in Africa over 35,000 to 50,000 years ago. Some say the harsh conditions of Europe and far north made man have to think differently, and may have caused an increased intelligence level. That does not mean we are separate species. We all share the same DNA, but Europeans are a different type of thinker than Africans. Black Africans have been interbreed with White Europeans in America. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/10/18/world/main3379730.shtml?source=RSSattr=HOME_3379730[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]

Old 07-12-2009, 10:16 AM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
Quote:
My post was directed to the OP, and regardless of your reception of my post, it remains my opinion. I didn't intend to infer you were a racist, only that you believed racism would always be with us. To that, I disagreed. I explained why I disagreed.

Before I forget: yes, look around, you are in the WORLD. With nearly seven billion of us, that world shrinks daily, and your actions matter more than ever.

I did say that you exhibited fear, in my opinion, because I believe that it is fear that would cause a person to think a negative situation cannot improve. The fact that you feel the need to give reproach leads me to believe I was correct. Perhaps it is you that needs to "get over it."

If you cannot accept opinions other than your own, and seek only validation of your beliefs, perhaps you would be better served in the blog area, rather than the forum?

Regardless of your response to me, I still wish you luck.
your post was directed at me, since I am the OP. I respect your opinion, but I deal in reality. hatred has been around since the dawn of time. it's not going anywhere. I didn't say the situation couldn't improve. you are putting words into my mouth left and right. I said it will take 500-1000 years for marked improvement.

Old 07-12-2009, 10:24 AM

Whatever, mr. "final say" -- fare thee well. Adieu.

Old 07-12-2009, 10:26 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,295,951 times
Default To the OP: you prefer to continue/support racism?

I prefer to live my life in a way to eliminate it.
Sorry you choose continuation of racism.

Old 07-12-2009, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I prefer to live my life in a way to eliminate it.
Sorry you choose continuation of racism.
how am I supporting it? by asking a question in an internet chat room frequented by 50 people? I am certainly "spreading my hatred agenda."

Quote:
you prefer to continue/support racism?

that wasn't a question.

Old 07-12-2009, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Whatever, mr. "final say" -- fare thee well. Adieu.

whatever right back at cha "lookingformayberry." you'll be looking for a long time, but pilot mountain, NC, is a good place to start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies