Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 10:39 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,554,984 times

Advertisements

Thanks. I'll check it out. 8)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2009, 10:49 AM

715 posts, read 2,087,759 times
On the side of neutrality. I think it's a good idea that these things are being discussed. If we consider the other people on the other side of the fence an "Enemy" then this would be a good media to get into the minds of those we consider the "Enemy". I would like to think it gives a better understanding for those with close or open minded individuals no matter which side of the fence your in.

This is far better than being trapped in our comfort zone of paranoia than lash out physically over a misunderstanding, ie violence. Not saying it would erradicate violence but if it were reduced significantly through mediums such as this, then this isnt so bad.

Old 07-12-2009, 11:28 AM

8,762 posts, read 11,578,593 times
Hmmm...

This is kinda like saying "Abortion exists and it isn't going anywhere. get over it."

Why don't YOU all just get it for once?

Old 07-12-2009, 11:29 AM

79 posts, read 74,212 times
Well abortion is here to stay. I allow that.

Old 07-12-2009, 11:34 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,506,355 times
Let's segregate the country up in regions and have a race competition!

The American way!

(Actually overt racism is sort of going away in my part of the country - I like it)

Old 07-12-2009, 11:54 AM

4,050 posts, read 3,961,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I suspect that you will always find some way to validate that kind of thinking, but my experiences prove different. As a young woman in a racially biased county in Michigan, my parents were NOT racists, and I didn't even know there was such a thing until we moved to a more urban area in my pre-teens.

Then, mixed marriages were reviled, and mixed babies were "damned," which I never understood, because I was entranced by the exotic beauty of the blacks and hispanics I met, and found their babies adorable.

Then, there were still lynchings and people were fighting for/against civil rights. Now, with those rights in place, with education and jobs more available -- those there are still many areas needed to improve, things are better.

We never have to accept hate into our lives, and we can ALWAYS neutralize it by demonstrating our own love.

I sincerely hope that you can find the way to overcome your fear, which is always an open door to hatred. Once that door is closed to hate, you will find your world a better place to live in, and more appreciated.

Good luck.

Your post is ridicolous to SOME people who will never really get it!

Don't be discouraged treat ALL people with respect and the ignorant ones, both black and white will make themselves known.

Old 07-12-2009, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
1. I would not know the answer to that as I've never lived in a predominantly white neighborhood (although I have worked in a predominantly white office where I have been fully accepted by my colleagues). I do know that I faced lots of ignorant comments from those around me and have been called a few racial names. I once met a girl in high school who once told me that she had never met a white person before (She was black). We became friends and hung out quite a bit over the next year or so. Then she started acting more aloof with me. I was puzzled until she confessed that she stopped hanging around me because the other black girls would make fun of her for being my friend. This was in senior year of high school. I have also suffered lots of cruel remarks from other children all throughout school and never felt accepted by my peers until I got to college.

2. I'm having a difficult time taking Narcissus23 seriously due to the racist nature of his posts. His viewpoints are extreme and do not represent the majority of white folks nor does he speak for us.

3. Could you clarify your last question as I'm not sure what you mean? Thanks!
"Let me ask you this, do you hold any hope in how those Blacks and Hispanics would change how they feel about you because of your pale complexion?"

Appreciate your honesty and points of view, your #2 statement is a start but may not go far enough into changing those peeps in your side of the fence's minds by simply stating here of your opinion.

Like you, i've lived in a neighborhood predominantly white, been on reciving end of racials slurs, had my car vadalized and had "Chinks out" written all over it, labelling me as some sort of chinese descendant when in fact im of Filipino descent.

So brings me to my question, How do we resolve this?? do we just carry on as normal and do nothing? If its yes then theres little possibility of things improving for you and for the likes of minorities living in a predominantly white neighborhood, isnt there?

Old 07-12-2009, 12:17 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,648,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
I don't think that threads like this are the problem. there are only around 100 people in the political forums who post a lot. even if it is 500, that still isn't much. if I could give the world a pill, and make it forget history, I would. but I know from experience, that you can't change people. like I said, it's been around since the dawn of time. if it wasn't "racism" it was "tribism." I just think that it's going to take a very long time to make real progress. I think we have chipped away at the issue, and we continue to do so, but to think that it will go away easy is naive. starting threads like this doesn't help the problem, but perhaps the dialogue will help. that's the reason for the discussion. perhaps you think I am adding to the problem. I might be, but I like to think that I am adding to the discussion.
Fair enough Final Say, I understand where you are going with this. And I agree, dialogue just might help move things along a little bit. But what I would really love to see is maybe a thread about racial progress. One could always add that racism is still alive and well, but mankind is steadily beating down the walls of hatred. Because even though racism is still a problem, we are beating down those barriers.

Actually, I think we are moving away from racism in favor of classism and political partyism(made this one up) What I mean is people seem to want to hate each other for political issues and money issues these days. You don't have to be a specific color anymore, just fall under a certain affiliation.

But anyway, I do want you to know I wasn't exactly trying to call you a "part" of the problem. I just feel like threads that lack any positive insight from the start often fall under dark clouds. If we could discuss this issue including both progress and failure, it would atleast make people realize that while hatred is still alive and may always be alive, we do have some good things going. Because historically, even in the days of the slaves there were good people who weren't blinded by the people's color.

Old 07-12-2009, 12:32 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,029,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieJJ View Post
Appreciate your honesty and points of view, your #2 statement is a start but may not go far enough into changing those peeps in your side of the fence's minds by simply stating here of your opinion.

Like you, i've lived in a neighborhood predominantly white, been on reciving end of racials slurs, had my car vadalized and had "Chinks out" written all over it, labelling me as some sort of chinese descendant when in fact im of Filipino descent.

So brings me to my question, How do we resolve this?? do we just carry on as normal and do nothing? If its yes then theres little possibility of things improving for you and for the likes of minorities living in a predominantly white neighborhood, isnt there?
I think as long as folks are looking at people in terms of "race" and not viewing them as individuals that they are, we will never trully eradicate racism. I get so sick and tired of hearing about "blacks are this" and "whites are that" "Asians are this" and "Mexicans are that" etc... I believe that when we allow ourselves to apply a stereotype to a whole group of people on the basis of their skin pigmentation, we are engaging in prejudice. I know lots of folks from just about every racial background and there is no typical white, black, Asian, hispanic, etc. We are all individuals who should be judged by our own merits and not judged by the color of our skin. This is what Martin Luther King was fighting for and, although we have made tons of progress on the issue of racism, it is apparent that we still have a ways to go.

Old 07-12-2009, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
I think as long as folks are looking at people in terms of "race" and not viewing them as individuals that they are, we will never trully eradicate racism. I get so sick and tired of hearing about "blacks are this" and "whites are that" "Asians are this" and "Mexicans are that" etc... I believe that when we allow ourselves to apply a stereotype to a whole group of people on the basis of their skin pigmentation, we are engaging in prejudice. I know lots of folks from just about every racial background and there is no typical white, black, Asian, hispanic, etc. We are all individuals who should be judged by our own merits and not judged by the color of our skin. This is what Martin Luther King was fighting for and, although we have made tons of progress on the issue of racism, it is apparent that we still have a ways to go.
Let me tell you something that always seems to come in the conversations between the minorities, i said it once before and ill say it again, we do from time to time talk with one another and compare notes every once in a while.

Question is, whats up with whites and their multiple white suppremacy groups? if we are to believe we have moved leaps and bounds then why is it that whites still believe they are still fighting a war amongst those of non whites??

We the Filipinos were conquered and suffered the lose of 1.4million people when America colonised us, the spanish have ruled us for 3 centuries. The .45mm calibre bullet and 1911 pistol was born out of the Phillipine/American war.

Vietnam and Japan was a scroched earth policy adopted by the Americans.

Do you see any of the 3 countries that i have mentioned having large gatherings of organisations that are "Anti white" ??

If we can get over that hurdle or wrong doing, then why cant the white man do the same?, why cant the majority of whites own up to their wrong doings or ignorance without deflecting a question? It is this inept of acknowledgement that dictates of how far or little progress will be made.. Does that make any sense?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies