Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2009, 03:48 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,783,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Please keep in mind that, although there certainly have been instances where ins. companies have wrangled out of paying claims and have cancelled buyers, it's not the norm.
If it was, nobody would be getting new hips and knees or pacemakers or chemo and returning home grateful and happy.
Millions with chronic conditions get their bills submitted and paid with no problems or cancellations
Sources?

I guess you've never heard of the insurance companies paying bonuses to people based on how many people they deny coverage to, how many procedures they deny, etc?

Please show me a NON BIASED source to show this is not the norm.

Old 07-19-2009, 03:49 AM

1,030 posts, read 1,453,359 times
Quote:
Please keep in mind that, although there certainly have been instances where ins. companies have wrangled out of paying claims and have cancelled buyers, it's not the norm.
If it was, nobody would be getting new hips and knees or pacemakers or chemo and returning home grateful and happy.
Millions with chronic conditions get their bills submitted and paid with no problems or cancellations
you mean without having to wait weeks and months for tests???
no, that can't be right. private insurance is evil!!!

Old 07-19-2009, 04:06 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,184,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
Sources?

I guess you've never heard of the insurance companies paying bonuses to people based on how many people they deny coverage to, how many procedures they deny, etc?

Source?
How about yourself?
I don't know how old you are but how many people with insurance
have you known in your life that have gone to the hospital, seen a doctor,gotten whatever treatment was needed and had the bills paid?

How many do you know got cancelled or had the bills refused?
I have read about some but have never known one.

Old 07-19-2009, 04:11 AM

1,030 posts, read 1,453,359 times
Quote:
Sources?

the most corrupt people I know are in government. yet you think they can do healthcare better than the insurance companies.

Old 07-19-2009, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Source?
How about yourself?
I don't know how old you are but how many people with insurance
have you known in your life that have gone to the hospital, seen a doctor,gotten whatever treatment was needed and had the bills paid?

How many do you know got cancelled or had the bills refused?
I have read about some but have never known one.
I guess unlike you, I've experienced that and have known people who have experienced it.
I'm 19 and already I don't look forward to future interactions with health insurance companies as the system is today.

Old 07-19-2009, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrfitchett4 View Post
the most corrupt people I know are in government. yet you think they can do healthcare better than the insurance companies.
By the looks of "reform" the government won't be running health care.

I think there is more corruption in the health insurance business than government. They kind of work hand in hand...
My senator gets hundreds of thousands of dollars from the health insurance lobbyists to make sure that the health insurance companies make lots and lots of profits year after year without the government going after them for their horrible behavior.

Old 07-19-2009, 04:42 AM

Quote:
I guess unlike you, I've experienced that and have known people who have experienced it.
I'm 19 and already I don't look forward to future interactions with health insurance companies as the system is today.
Numbers?
Percentage of all the people you know?
Were any of these problems misunderstanding policy coverage like the gentleman earlier in this thread with the uncovered pregnancy?

Old 07-19-2009, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Numbers?
Percentage of all the people you know?
Were any of these problems misunderstanding policy coverage like the gentleman earlier in this thread with the uncovered pregnancy?
A percentage?
I'm not about to sit here and count up how many people I know but let's just say I know around 6 people who have had nightmarish experiences with health insurance companies.

It wasn't a misunderstanding of policy, it was the insurance company who didn't want to honor their end of the bargain.

A girl I've known since I was around 8 has been having a number of health problems and her mom's insurance won't cover it because they feel all the tests she needs are too expensive. She'll probably have to end up filing for bankruptcy because of all the costs associated with it.

A friend of mine got pregnant, ended up having an ectopic pregnancy, had one of her ovaries removed...the insurance company won't cover it because they say she was bleeding beforehand....
Well wouldn't any woman be bleeding if she was suffering a miscarriage and being poisoned by the dead fetus?

I just finished watching the DVD of "Frontline: Sick in America" and one woman had her health insurance rescinded retroactively right after she had a $100,000 surgery because she had some spotting during the physical to qualify for her the health insurance.

My mom had a hysterectomy two years back, she had already paid her deductible for the year and everything. At the end of the surgery, she is stuck with a $4,000 bill.

Old 07-19-2009, 05:07 AM

I'm going to just say that with the examples you've stated (3) the details are totally lacking.
And the devil is in the details.
For example...your mom.....most, including government issued Medicare, offer only 80% coverage.
So owing that would not be unusual.
Without counting, unless you've led a very sheltered life, you know hundreds of people.

Old 07-19-2009, 05:34 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,730,943 times
Right now people from all over the world come over here to have surgeries...they can skip waiting lists and have better skilled surgeons...what does that say of this system as it is right now.

So the rich need to pay for the people who didn't want to anything while being in school and committed crimes instead of making something of their life and pay back to society by paying taxes and either working in a job or creating jobs!.....the only thing they are doing is waitng for a bailout by either getting everything for free or sitting in prison...thousands live like that and now the hard working people should start to pay for their health care...
How many people working as 1099 contractors are paying for their own health care right now? Mostly because they don't want to spent that money, it is their own choice! Why should rich people pay more so they will start to choose priorities. Isn't this a country of freedom, people can make their own decisions, good and bad...do we want Obama to tell us if we want education or not, if we need heath care or not, etc...

Btw I buy health care myself for my whole family and it cost a lot and I'm not making over $ 250K a year, so according to Obama I would get it cheaper....well I don't believe in other people paying for me and I sure don't believe Obama ruling my life!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies