Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 05:49 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,792,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Right now people from all over the world come over here to have surgeries...they can skip waiting lists and have better skilled surgeons...what does that say of this system as it is right now.

So the rich need to pay for the people who didn't want to anything while being in school and committed crimes instead of making something of their life and pay back to society by paying taxes and either working in a job or creating jobs!.....the only thing they are doing is waitng for a bailout by either getting everything for free or sitting in prison...thousands live like that and now the hard working people should start to pay for their health care...
How many people working as 1099 contractors are paying for their own health care right now? Mostly because they don't want to spent that money, it is their own choice! Why should rich people pay more so they will start to choose priorities. Isn't this a country of freedom, people can make their own decisions, good and bad...do we want Obama to tell us if we want education or not, if we need heath care or not, etc...

Btw I buy health care myself for my whole family and it cost a lot and I'm not making over $ 250K a year, so according to Obama I would get it cheaper....well I don't believe in other people paying for me and I sure don't believe Obama ruling my life!
I don't think anyone is doubting we have good medical quality...we have great doctors, great innovation...it's AFFORDING those procedures and affording health insurance that is crippling so many people, businesses, etc.

I don't doubt my doctor is skilled, my dermatologist is skilled, the person who performed my mom's surgery is skilled, my dentist is skilled....its affording them and the deductibles, premiums, prescriptions that is the problem.

There will always be people who want something for doing nothing but I'm not one of those people. Most Americans want a public option so they can AFFORD (ya know...PAY for it) health care. I think Americans DESERVE a choice...they can either choose PRIVATE insurance or choose to enroll in the public option. I don't want people to HAVE to get health insurance if they don't want it, the rich shouldn't be taxed more just to pay for this plan, etc. You would just check a little box on your tax form saying you want to be in the public health insurance plan and the government can decide what you can afford every month.
Even something like the FAFSA would be an alternative...[as much as I hate filling out the FAFSA and hate that it doesn't ask about a person's debt.]

There are thousands of people who own their own business, are self employed or maybe work for a small business (that can't afford to provide health insurance for their employees) who just want an equal shot at affordable coverage. It is very asinine to say to people, "GO GET A JOB!" as if jobs are growing on trees and lots of companies are providing great health insurance/coverage.

Some people can't pay the outrageous cost of individual insurance and sometimes see that enrolling in Medicaid would be easier than working a job and barely being able to afford medical expenses...

Quote:
Kristin from Beaverton, OR-1 Wu
I am a single mom who has been out of work for almost a year. I started working 2 months ago and was diagnosed with Interstitial Cystitis last week. I went to fill my prescription of "Elmiron" and to my horror found out that AFTER my insurance discount, I will still have to pay $283/mo. for my medication. I also take buproprion and effexor xr. This means that I will be paying $420/mo for medication alone. I already pay almost $400 for my insurance. I live on $1000/mo after paying my mortgage (which I currently can't do anything about due to the market) payment. Now I will live on $200???? Yet, because I took a contract position until the end of the year, I make too much money for any assistance programs. I am very frustrated with the system and I'm tired of being taken advantage of for insurance and medication that I need. Maybe I would be better off not working and getting assistance. This is a serious problem with our society! Sometimes not working and depending on assistance is the ONLY way to get our medications...what else can I do?
Source: http://www.prescriptionforchange.org..._and_Labor.pdf

^You can find even more stories similar to these...

I don't think Obama is trying to ruin your life and BTW...it is Congress who will have the last say and controls everything. As much as Obama may want Americans to have access to affordable health insurance and coverage....Congress will be the one to make that call.

Old 07-19-2009, 06:02 AM

3,074 posts, read 4,727,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
Sick of ridiculous emergency room bills? If the private hospitals have to compete with free government clinics maybe they will be more reasonable. All the new hospitals and clinics need staff and we can train them here instead of import them. That is the most likely avenue for job creation, not 'green'.

Nothing is free..........NOTHING....

Old 07-19-2009, 07:52 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,273,270 times
There is NOTHING wrong with being responsible to PAY some of your medical expenses.

So what if you have to pay a co-pay? I'd like to see co-pays at $50.00 or more

So what if you have a "deductible" (just like your automobile insurance)? Having to pay the first $2500 is not a big deal.

What many here are saying - or implying is, they want to go to the doctor with no out of pocket costs. That is ridiculous

Old 07-19-2009, 08:29 AM

3,689 posts, read 10,420,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfields View Post
HOw the hell do you know that they were adhering to the terms of the contract? You don't and your just making more bull**** assumptions and this time you crossed the line. Your trying to stick your nose into something you know nothing about. YOur weren't there, you don't know what was in the contract, you don't even know what they refused to cover and you've got the ****ing nerve to say that I lack honesty? Don't attack me because you're brainwashed on the issue of health care and I'm calling you out on the untrue right-wing propaganda that you're spewing.
if they do not adhere to the terms of contract, and you have proof, you can very easily sue them for breach of contract.

read them carefully, look at the exact coverage. It is not hard to do, I have to do it every year when my wifes company does its open enrollment.

Old 07-19-2009, 08:29 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,706,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am Joe White View Post
'Commoners', eh? lol

Well how bout this?

The lower 50% of wage earners (commoners to you) pay $0 income tax each year.

Many of them even come out ahead, paying $0 income tax AND getting more back besides. It's called EITC (Earned Income Tax Credit).

Many of those don't even wait till the end of the year, they get it IN ADVANCE in their paychecks. Advance Earned Income Tax Credit Questions and Answers (http://www.irs.gov/individuals/article/0,,id=96515,00.html - broken link)

So I think that the 'commoners' come out pretty good, all told.
Whith the top 20% controlling over half the wealth, what do you expect them to pay?
Having everyone pay the wage tax seems fair to me

Old 07-19-2009, 08:34 AM

3,689 posts, read 10,420,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
Sources?

I guess you've never heard of the insurance companies paying bonuses to people based on how many people they deny coverage to, how many procedures they deny, etc?

Please show me a NON BIASED source to show this is not the norm.
I am one of these such people with Chronic conditions. I have Multiple Sclerosis

I require a very expensive treatment (Copaxone injections Daily)
I require Neurologist visits every 6 mo. unless I have an attack which is within 24 hours of the start of an attack, which is treated with Solumedrol IV steroids (not cheap) I have to have an MRI every year, unless the doctor sees fit to have any additional after an attack to make sure things are not getting too worse. I have NEVER ONCE been denied treatment for my condition by the insurance company. They are ALWAYS quick to approve the items the doctor wants. In fact, they wanted me to get looked at more frequently by my Neuro for preventative checks.

if you head over to www.msworld.org (a pure MS forum) you will find 100's of people in the same boat as me. With very good prompt and proactive insurance companies.

Old 07-19-2009, 08:40 AM

439 posts, read 443,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Whith the top 20% controlling over half the wealth, what do you expect them to pay?
Should you be allowed to 'control' the money you earn?

Seriously.

Who should we appoint to 'control' how you spend your paycheck?

I mean if we are going to treat everyone equally, someone is going to have to be appointed to tell you how you can and cannot spend the money from your paycheck, if that's what you wish for others.

Old 07-19-2009, 08:45 AM

439 posts, read 443,602 times
Quote:
HOw the hell do you know that they were adhering to the terms of the contract? You don't and your just making more bull**** assumptions and this time you crossed the line. Your trying to stick your nose into something you know nothing about. YOur weren't there, you don't know what was in the contract, you don't even know what they refused to cover and you've got the ****ing nerve to say that I lack honesty? Don't attack me because you're brainwashed on the issue of health care and I'm calling you out on the untrue right-wing propaganda that you're spewing.
And apparently you don't know either.

Quote:
I honestly don't remember what her deductible was.

Old 07-19-2009, 09:31 AM

3,091 posts, read 3,968,825 times
You are correct. I've been struggling with this today trying to find out what the exact plan is going to be and how it will affect Americans, and the information is not there. I have to rely on other politicians to explain how the plan is going to impact Americans, and you know how reliable the opinions of other politicians are. Who will dictate what treatment is reasonable for my children--the government? Me?

Despite the information here applauding this plan, I am reading and seeing people in other countries being denied necessary medical treatment for months/years, waiting on waiting lists. What criteria will be used to determine if someone has value that they should receive treatment, if any criteria will be used at all? Will the impaired/elderly be denied certain treatment because they are not contributing citizens? Will it affect our drug and other companies research and development? These are questions I haven't seen the answers to yet, and I'm not willing to throw the baby out with the bath water just because people think they're going to get medical care for free.

Thank you to the poster who said NOTHING is free. By the way, my brother lives in San Antonio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrfitchett4 View Post
the most corrupt people I know are in government. yet you think they can do healthcare better than the insurance companies.

Old 07-19-2009, 09:44 AM

7,923 posts, read 8,849,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
Sick of ridiculous emergency room bills? If the private hospitals have to compete with free government clinics maybe they will be more reasonable. All the new hospitals and clinics need staff and we can train them here instead of import them. That is the most likely avenue for job creation, not 'green'.
Hasn't anyone who opposes a new health system in America even realised how many jobs would be created? Obviously not as they have a job and health cover.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies