Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 09:13 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,999,435 times

Advertisements

Someone here just said "This being America, you truly do possess the right to say your piece, whether folk support you or not...but when you DO say said piece, then be prepared to deal with the opinions of those who don't share your views or mindset---that's the way the system works, and yes, last time I looked, I was grown, and didn't feel any need to 'get over it'...end of narrative "

So I assume that I can have an opinion but since it doesn't jive with the masses then I, as a minority view point holder, must support my opinion in every regard and defend against all discusssion in opposition. Sounds like you live in a different America than I do.

No, I am not the king, and wouldn't want to be. I'm a commoner otherwise I wouldn't be addressing this issue.

Here's the point for those who missed it.

Time has come to grow a world where people stop setting themselves out as being "special." Time has come to look forward to a world where a human is judged on their accomplishment and skill.

The more we continue to focus on why someone else is deserving of additional consideration, the more we avoid consideration of those who do not aspire to recognizing seperate groups.

For those who disagree, kindly set out your opinion why separatists policies should be supported? Please do so that I can set out, point by point, why your group and your agenda is invalid.

This is the whole problem these days. We've been so accustomed to being fed a double message that we cannot set forth something without introducing inconsistency.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 09:17 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,886,517 times
Pluralism is one of the nations greatest assets and I’ve found so many extraordinary unique people that I’ve come into contact with over the years it’s been a learning experience for me.

I will have to admit that at times it can be difficult at that moment. However when we overlook the shortcomings of others we learn more from others who have so much to offer.

I get disturbed with those who have issues with pluralism and yet attend church each week.

Old 08-07-2009, 09:20 AM

Pluralism is the target which, btw, includes those who don't lke going to church, don't like public assembly, don't like being type cast, etc.

Individuality is part of pluralism unless you are speaking about that "group-type" of pluralism.

Old 08-07-2009, 09:26 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,613,724 times
I'm only tired of hearing about fake racism or hypocritical racism where racism is "ok" if you are the right color etc. It's also gotten highly politicized in that the reaction for similar comments can run from "disappointed" to a full blown witch hunt depending if a D or R says them.

The Havard professor thing is nauseating and ironic.

It's a good thing MJ's doctor was black and not White\Jewish or we'd have to hear Farakhan, Sharpton etc. spew thier racist conspiracy theories....<puke>.

Old 08-07-2009, 09:49 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checking out View Post
So I assume that I can have an opinion but since it doesn't jive with the masses then I, as a minority view point holder, must support my opinion in every regard and defend against all discusssion in opposition. Sounds like you live in a different America than I do.

The more we continue to focus on why someone else is deserving of additional consideration, the more we avoid consideration of those who do not aspire to recognizing seperate groups.

For those who disagree, kindly set out your opinion why separatists policies should be supported? Please do so that I can set out, point by point, why your group and your agenda is invalid.
Could you please explain what exactly these separatist policies are?

Old 08-07-2009, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Could you please explain what exactly these separatist policies are?

We have the whole, and this is all of us. Then we have those who prefer their membership in a group over that of the whole, these are separatists.

A policy which tends to treat an individual as part of a group that is the sub-set of the whole, with such separation being accompanied with an agenda which seeks something beyond that of the greater whole.

Care to offer your definition or idea?

Old 08-07-2009, 10:05 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,596,004 times
About racism: I hope the day comes when racism is discussed only in the context of history lessons. Clearly we aren't there yet. Whether you want to acknowledge it or not, grossly overt and deceptively subtle racism is hearty and well fed - it's all around us. So, although I'm sorry we're still talking about it in the present tense, no - I'm not sick of hearing or talking about it.

Nor am I sick of the other issues the OP raises. I might not choose to stand side by side and fight every fight - but I have no interest in squelching someone else's voice.
Quote:
I am sick of hearing about you and the problems you face because of what you think others think. Grow up and get over it.
It's not just about what others think - it's not a bunch of imagined slights and sideways glances - it's about how people are actually treated.
Quote:
The whole darned thing is little more than a bunch of control freaks screaming about wanting more.
Speaking of control, why can't you release some? What's so threatening to you for others to have equal access?
Quote:
That's just it - no one is asking for additional consideration. People want equal consideration - the same rights and privileges that the majority (you know - that other separate group) has.

Old 08-07-2009, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
About racism: I hope the day comes when racism is discussed only in the context of history lessons. Clearly we aren't there yet. Whether you want to acknowledge it or not, grossly overt and deceptively subtle racism is hearty and well fed - it's all around us. So, although I'm sorry we're still talking about it in the present tense, no - I'm not sick of hearing or talking about it.

Nor am I sick of the other issues the OP raises. I might not choose to stand side by side and fight every fight - but I have no interest in squelching someone else's voice.

It's not just about what others think - it's not a bunch of imagined slights and sideways glances - it's about how people are actually treated.

Speaking of control, why can't you release some? What's so threatening to you for others to have equal access?

That's just it - no one is asking for additional consideration. People want equal consideration - the same rights and privileges that the majority (you know - that other separate group) has.

OMG

Define equality. Or cannot I ask for a definition since you seem to place me in a separate group?

Old 08-07-2009, 10:27 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,596,004 times
Quote:
Or cannot I ask for a definition since you seem to place me in a separate group?
Why does someone else having a voice mean that you don't? You've made this sort of comment more than once in this thread and I don't get the correlation at all. Just because someone else "gets something" doesn't mean you "lose something" - especially when we're talking about concepts and rights - like the right to get married, for example. That's one way certain groups that you don't want to recognize want to be "equal" to the majority group. Inequities like that reinforce the "different groups" mentality and undermine the "we are the world" mentality.

Old 08-07-2009, 10:43 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
Why does someone else having a voice mean that you don't?
Exactly.
Not everyone has the same opportunity structure.
We might all be trying to herd in the same general direction, but I don't think we're all on the same path.

Maybe I just don't understand your argument, checking out.
I've been having one long blonde moment today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies