Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 03:53 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,752,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Would the increase in population and the skyrocketing cost of medical care have something to do with this also?

Neither increased by a factor of 100.

Also people yammering about the skyrocketing cost need to understand what the greatest contributor to increasing costs is. Innovation. Would you prefer we had less?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2009, 03:55 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
Mayo Clinic has some of the best physicians in the country and they welcome Medicare patients!
I am sure that the buisness people at Mayo would probably have more private insurance patients, as they pay better. They do, however, to thier credit accept medicare patients and it is a damn good facility.

Old 08-09-2009, 04:44 PM

272 posts, read 295,640 times
I hate when people call those who are for health care reform non -productive. Non -productive in what way. Because they started a business and can't afford the health care premiums, because they do construction work which doesn't provide health care, because they do your hair and the place they work at doesn't provide health care, because they are the day care worker where again no health care because after graduating from college they didn't get that job they were told they would get with a degree with good benefits and had to take a part time job again without health care. The non-productive are already getting health care you pay for called medicaide. Of course we could require all businesses to provide health care but that will still come out of your pocket with increased prices. Or we could say those are only starting jobs and leave those people without health care because they will have to become productive and move up to your job and maybe your boss will be glad to hire someone for less and you will be the one unemployed paying for cobra. It's a vicious circle but somehow or another something has to be done.

Old 08-09-2009, 04:50 PM

639 posts, read 1,142,772 times
Something can be done without throwing the baby out with the bath water the way the current administrations is suggesting. A single payer government system using incrementalism is their ultimate goal....punch in Obama and single payer on Youtube and see Obama in 2007 say in HIS OWN WORDS that it will be tough to get rid of private health insurance in the beginning but over 5, 10, and 15 years he can see there will be a point where a single payer government system will be the ONLY option. Barney Frank has said the same thing. Do we believe what you want us to believe or do we believe what the then Senator Obama stated in HIS OWN WORDS!!!!!???? I tend to believe that people don't change and that this is Obama's ultimate goal. I REFUSE to allow a government that has bankrupted Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security to get its' mangy paws on health care!!! Come on people, this isn't a Republican or Democratic issue, it is a right before your eyes issue!!! Yes, change is needed....tort reform, no disallowing insurance for pre-existing conditions, lower prices...yes, yes, yes...but not what Obama wants...it has failed elsewhere and will fail here........

Old 08-09-2009, 04:51 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcadca View Post
Why are they selfish??
Why do you think they are "selfish"?

I'd be interested to know.

Old 08-09-2009, 04:51 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
i am a senior and i am for universal health care.
15% of americans have no coverage.

Old 08-09-2009, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
15% of americans have no coverage.
Not exactly.

Because of the 15% with no insurance - not all of them are Americans. Some 10 million or so are illegal immigrants - not Americans.

And, of the remaining, and the estimates vary on this but, a whole bunch that ARE Americans - don't want insurance.

So, lets try to keep it in perspective.

OBTW - I'm a senior and I do not support universal health care.

Old 08-09-2009, 06:41 PM

I KNOW I'm going to get slammed for saying this but - IMO, it has to be said.

Bankruptcy is not that big of deal today - the problem is, many have little or know knowledge of the BK laws and many / most believe some of the MYTHS associated with BK -

First off, Bankruptcy is actually a Constitutionally protected right

Under Federal and State laws - a portion of the equity in your home is protected from claim by creditors. For instance, and it varies by state - in Arizona, $150,000 of equity is protected in your primary personal residence. In Nevada, it is $600,000 of equity.

Your retirement funds (401K's etc) are exempt.

You don't have to turn over your whole paycheck.

You might have to sell the boat though.

You do not lose the shirt off your back -

You can in some cases discharge certain debt (like Medical) while reaffirming other debt (like your home mortgage)

You can discharge Income Tax debt owed to the IRS (there are certain things that need to be done to have this done - but it is not a major issue)

As for your credit: BK and Foreclosure have essentially the same FICO score deduction.

FHA / HUD guidelines provide that FHA will insure a loan for someone to purchase a home 1 year after the discharge of a BK

There is more - far more than what I can do here - but, suffice to say, if someone has to file a Bankruptcy because of their Medical bills - they WILL NOT "lose" everything they own and have worked for.

One really needs to consult with competent legal council in their state to get specific details for their state of residence.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:30 AM

485 posts, read 1,455,398 times
Quote:
Mayo Clinic has some of the best physicians in the country and they welcome Medicare patients!
Gee, thanks for pointing that out. Unfortunately, it is a little far for me to travel for my healthcare. It is very disingenuous for people to name one clinic in one part of the country that welcomes Medicare in face of the evidence that more and more doctors are refusing to continue to see patients (even ones with a long term relationship) once they reach Medicare age.

Old 08-10-2009, 12:06 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,474,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Not exactly.

Because of the 15% with no insurance - not all of them are Americans. Some 10 million or so are illegal immigrants - not Americans.

And, of the remaining, and the estimates vary on this but, a whole bunch that ARE Americans - don't want insurance.

So, lets try to keep it in perspective.

OBTW - I'm a senior and I do not support universal health care.
So I assume you don't use Medicare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies