Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2009, 07:49 AM

485 posts, read 1,455,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
I opted out of SS and Medicare over 3 decades ago - and have not paid one dime into the "system" in over 30 years.

I can never get Social Security or Medicare.

I'm totally "on my own"
I may be mistaken, but I believe that the poster I was responding to was of retirement age and had paid into the system for decades. Thus it was not very logical to suggest opting out at this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2009, 08:35 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,247,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marysally View Post
I may be mistaken, but I believe that the poster I was responding to was of retirement age and had paid into the system for decades. Thus it was not very logical to suggest opting out at this point.
The OP may have also been referring to their health insurance company forcing them to medicare when they become 65...I do know that was in our group policy at work.

Old 08-09-2009, 08:37 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,247,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
So will you correct momonkey when he/she said "Liberals never think things through"?

Of course-Liberals often always make sense and think things through more than conservatives.

How come you are always so quick to point out things I say or do? But when your fellow conservatives do it or say it, it is a free pass?
"But when your fellow conservatives do it or say it, it is a free pass?'

I'm asking the same to you about you and your fellow liberals...

Old 08-09-2009, 08:37 AM

45,438 posts, read 60,638,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
The OP may have also been referring to their health insurance company forcing them to medicare when they become 65...I do know that was in our group policy at work.

That absolutely happens almost across the board, and has been for at least the thirty plus years I've been paying attention.

Old 08-09-2009, 08:45 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,867,274 times
I think it is ironic but then I haven't seen legislation by Obama to wipe off Medicare... so how are the elderly hypocrites? I haven't seen town halls where eliminating medicare was on the table... Besides that, medicare is an established program whereas the public option is not... I think they are a bit too old to go back to work for health care, especially in a recession, but I do think that medicare should be SLOWLY eliminated... where the elderly still gets benefit but for those 35 and over, they lose those benefits and have to prepare on their own... I haven't seen that legislation and until then, I don't see their behavior as hypocritical but I do see the irony in your post considering it is bias and misinformative... comparing apples and oranges under a shroud of lemon trees...

Old 08-09-2009, 09:17 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,276,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno3314 View Post
I suspect you're covered on a group plan.
No, it most definitely is an individual, not group, plan

Old 08-09-2009, 12:30 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,863,574 times
They didn't give my husband a choice and they took $37 dollars out of each SS check each month for it. The second year they take $100 each month. He hasen't even filed any claims. To topit off, now there is a 3 year freeze on cost of living raises.

Quote:
You are under no obligation to "accept" Medicare or Social Security.

Old 08-09-2009, 12:34 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,276,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiegirlfriend View Post
They didn't give my husband a choice and they took $37 dollars out of each SS check each month for it. .
I dropped out of Social Security and Medicare. There was nothing to collect for.

Also, the post you are referring to: I was responding to another poster who said that there was a REQUIREMENT to use Medicare when they reached a certain age. And that is not true.

Old 08-09-2009, 02:22 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,008,953 times
Quote:
I dropped out of Social Security and Medicare. There was nothing to collect for.

Also, the post you are referring to: I was responding to another poster who said that there was a REQUIREMENT to use Medicare when they reached a certain age. And that is not true.
Yes. EVERYONE knows by now that you dropped out of Medicare. You only tell us that every other day. Lucky you.

Old 08-09-2009, 02:28 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,835,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
Who do these seniors think there are protesting about being told to take an oxy pill instead of getting a heart valve replacement. 76 years old? No pacemaker for you. 67 years old? No hip replacement for you. Here's a wheel chair. Stop complaining. The 'commitee' says - You are to die!!
Very good repeat of mindless propaganda!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies