Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 05:50 PM

843 posts, read 1,298,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post

Ahh yes, let those few politicians speak for the WHOLE party? Uhm...right....

What year did the votes on same-sex marriage happen in Ohio and Oregon? Haasn't public opinion shifted since then?

As for CA...we could spend hours talking about that but you have your mind all made up.

Actually I have no idea what public opinion is in those states at this time. Those votes were within the last few years. And I used those politicians because they were viewed as the leaders of said parties.

The simple way to solve the entire marraige debate is to get government completley out of marrying people. Then the debate is over. There is not one valid reason the State needs to sanction any marriage. That is a religious function and should be treated as such.

Old 08-20-2009, 05:53 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,792,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthPoleMarathoner View Post
Actually I have no idea what public opinion is in those states at this time. Those votes were within the last few years. And I used those politicians because they were viewed as the leaders of said parties.

The simple way to solve the entire marraige debate is to get government completley out of marrying people. Then the debate is over. There is not one valid reason the State needs to sanction any marriage. That is a religious function and should be treated as such.
Public opinion has shifted.

Of course it would be nice if everyone believed in getting government out of marriage but I'm not holding my breath.

Old 08-20-2009, 05:59 PM

7,788 posts, read 8,033,284 times
Quote:

Of course it would be nice if everyone believed in getting government out of marriage but I'm not holding my breath.
gov is so in our lives. i got married by my church but divorced by my wife and the gov.seperation of church and state my s$$. what a bunch of crap.

Old 08-20-2009, 06:02 PM

37,219 posts, read 19,225,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymberwulf View Post
You guys don't actually know any Republicans do you? Stop watching cable news channels and posting on these boards and get out there and meet some folks, you might be very surprised.

I get a lot of shocked looks from folks when they finally get around to asking which party I support, since most of them have been led to believe all Republicans are knuckle dragging racists who are busy looking for their sheets and a cross to burn.
Sounds to me like you told them you were from South Carolina...

Old 08-20-2009, 06:14 PM

843 posts, read 1,298,699 times
Quote:

Maybe it has.

I have a feeling though that once people get in the voting booth they might change their mind. When the PC police aren't around. LOLs.

Polling is usually very accurate. This seems like one that people might lie about.

Of course, that is just a suspicion. I could be way off base.

And actually I don't care one way or another. I just think it is ridiculous to say repubs are against gay marriage. Their position is the same as the demopcrats. At least at the top of the parties. It's a wedge isssue that really isn't an issue.

Old 08-20-2009, 06:39 PM

30,075 posts, read 18,678,343 times
Quote:
Trust me, I know some Republicans and I try not to talk to them very much.

Most of them hate me because I'm gay and I hate most of them. It works out fine.
Alot of hate and anger there "PurpleLove". Perhaps a change in user ID might be in order. I think that when you get older, you will realize that most people do not care about your color, sexual orientation, or whatever. They are too wrapped up in thier own world to care. Hating a group of people is a waste of energy and is consuming. What every happened to happy left wing "hippies"? The left is so angry now; they were alot more fun in the past.

Old 08-20-2009, 07:06 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,792,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Alot of hate and anger there "PurpleLove". Perhaps a change in user ID might be in order. I think that when you get older, you will realize that most people do not care about your color, sexual orientation, or whatever. They are too wrapped up in thier own world to care. Hating a group of people is a waste of energy and is consuming. What every happened to happy left wing "hippies"? The left is so angry now; they were alot more fun in the past.
I love the color purple, I never claim to love a group of people.
I think once those my age become older things will be a bitter different in the world but for now I have to deal with all the older people who see me as a "sinful qu e e r" or a dyke.
Of course I think most people may not care on a day to day basis but let Focus on the Family whip up most people's inner heterosexism or their aversion to gays and lesbians and then people's true colors come out.

There is hate on both the left and the right so don't act like the left has a monopoly. I consider myself socially liberal and fiscally moderate. Of course some on the left wouldn't be so angry if it weren't for the right wing of our country but that's a totally different thread subject.

Old 08-20-2009, 07:27 PM

689 posts, read 743,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Do you really think these kids think for themselves or did their religious nutcase Republican parents think for them? What do you think?
Attachment 47402
Their nutcase parents thought for them. I think that's obvious. It's just like every kid (right, left, D or R) who have whack-job right, left, D or R parents. There are a plenty-o whacky-a$$ed D and liberal parents who do the same. If you don't admit that, you are not being realistic at all. And...there are A LOT of religious Democrats who are exactly the same regarding their feelings towards homosexuals. BTW...How do you know these kids' parents are Republicans? I'm curious.

Old 08-20-2009, 07:42 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,953,952 times
It amazes me that people actually spend the time to make threads like this and just prior realizing how dumb it is, they hit the "Submit Thread" button.

Old 08-20-2009, 07:43 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,273,270 times
Quote:

Ahh yes, let those few politicians speak for the WHOLE party? Uhm...right....

What year did the votes on same-sex marriage happen in Ohio and Oregon? Haasn't public opinion shifted since then?

As for CA...we could spend hours talking about that but you have your mind all made up.
A number of states have passed State Constitutional Amendments defining marriage as between one man and one woman
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies