Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 10:10 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Well, you could read the plan. He went into some detail, more than here, in the health insurance speech, probably elsewhere too.
I will read it when the bill hits OpenCongress.

Until then it's just a plan with 500+ amendments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 07:02 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,164,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I will read it when the bill hits OpenCongress.

Until then it's just a plan with 500+ amendments.
Here's a link to the transcript of the health ins speech, & the "How to pay for it" content. I added a bold & the only things I took out were the "(Applause)" interjections and some stuff about reducing waste in Medicare:

Transcript: Obama's Health Care Speech - CBS News

[Mod edited for copyright]
Now, add it all up, and the plan I'm proposing will cost around $900 billion over 10 years -- less than we have spent on the Iraq and Afghanistan wars, and less than the tax cuts for the wealthiest few Americans that Congress passed at the beginning of the previous administration. Now, most of these costs will be paid for with money already being spent -- but spent badly -- in the existing health care system. The plan will not add to our deficit. The middle class will realize greater security, not higher taxes. And if we are able to slow the growth of health care costs by just one-tenth of 1 percent each year -- one-tenth of 1 percent -- it will actually reduce the deficit by $4 trillion over the long term.

Last edited by TnHilltopper; 09-22-2009 at 08:14 AM..

Old 09-22-2009, 07:06 AM

Also liked this, in the ^ speech:
I understand how difficult this health care debate has been. I know that many in this country are deeply skeptical that government is looking out for them. I understand that the politically safe move would be to kick the can further down the road -- to defer reform one more year, or one more election, or one more term.

But that is not what the moment calls for. That's not what we came here to do. We did not come to fear the future. We came here to shape it. I still believe we can act even when it's hard. I still believe -- I still believe that we can act when it's hard. I still believe we can replace acrimony with civility, and gridlock with progress. I still believe we can do great things, and that here and now we will meet history's test.
I just dont understand why so many people choose to stand in the way of their own benefit.

Old 09-22-2009, 07:06 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,956,928 times
Quote:
Here's a link to the transcript of the health ins speech, & the "How to pay for it" content. I added a bold & the only things I took out were the "(Applause)" interjections and some stuff about reducing waste in Medicare:
So...you're relying solely on what obama says to discern what is true?

He has already been proven to be a liar in what he says.

The actual bill has it right there, page 29, subtitle D - it is a tax.

Old 09-22-2009, 07:11 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,128,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Good night!

Even Stephanopoulos wasn't buying it.

YouTube - Obama Goes Toe-To-Toe With Stephanopoulos On "Tax Increases"

So is that yes or no?
Haha, Obama called a healthcare rate increase by the insurance companies a "tax increase", but not one mandated by government. oooh can I stop laughing..

Old 09-22-2009, 07:13 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,288,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Also liked this, in the ^ speech:
I understand how difficult this health care debate has been. I know that many in this country are deeply skeptical that government is looking out for them. I understand that the politically safe move would be to kick the can further down the road -- to defer reform one more year, or one more election, or one more term.

But that is not what the moment calls for. That's not what we came here to do. We did not come to fear the future. We came here to shape it. I still believe we can act even when it's hard. I still believe -- I still believe that we can act when it's hard. I still believe we can replace acrimony with civility, and gridlock with progress. I still believe we can do great things, and that here and now we will meet history's test.
I just dont understand why so many people choose to stand in the way of their own benefit.
Many would disagree that a bill which benefits the corporate and government tag team against US citizens is to "their benefit". Nevertheless, that is not the topic of this thread. It is whether the plan has a tax. It's right there in the bill. Done.

Old 09-22-2009, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Many would disagree that a bill which benefits the corporate and government tag team against US citizens is to "their benefit". Nevertheless, that is not the topic of this thread. It is whether the plan has a tax. It's right there in the bill. Done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
So...you're relying solely on what obama says to discern what is true?

He has already been proven to be a liar in what he says.

The actual bill has it right there, page 29, subtitle D - it is a tax.
Well, never mind that he spoke Sept 9 and the Baucus bill was released Sept 16. The thing you're talking about is not a "tax on all Americans". It's a fee -- call it a tax if you want but then you might as well call all involuntary fees taxes -- that wd be paid ONLY by people who choose to go without health insurance.
[Baucus's bill] would make almost everyone buy insurance or pay a fee, give subsidies to the poor to help them buy coverage and create new online exchanges where small businesses and people without government or employer-provided insurance could shop for plans and compare prices.

Baucus revises health bill amid concerns - Health care reform- msnbc.com
It's just semantics. "Tax" is a freighted word. But you all seem to be getting off track and thinking this would be charged to everyone - not so.

Old 09-22-2009, 07:22 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,482,490 times
The usual gang of know-nothings does not actually know (or care) what the actual definition of a tax is and has invested no effort at all in ascertaining whether the payments contemplated conform to it or not. The matter is so out of hand that Sen. Bozo Ensign (R-NV) has an amendment pending to switch every occurrence of the word "fee" in the Baucus bill to "tax" so that the right-wing will have even more little fishes to toss to the trained seals. What a perverse caricature of any proper political debate...

Old 09-22-2009, 07:27 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,128,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
The usual gang of know-nothings does not actually know (or care) what the actual definition of a tax is and has invested no effort at all in ascertaining whether the payments contemplated conform to it or not. The matter is so out of hand that Sen. Bozo Ensign (R-NV) has an amendment pending to switch every occurrence of the word "fee" in the Baucus bill to "tax" so that the right-wing will have even more little fishes to toss to the trained seals. What a perverse caricature of any proper political debate...
Never fear, saganista is here, to try to explain that there is a difference between a tax, and a fee, and to pretend that if you dont pay your "fees", you wont go to jail. As if the difference matters to those of us who have to pay it. Hows the health care benefits for your government job sag? I bet you dont think we taxpayers pay that either...

p.s. you might want to call your buddy Obama and tell him, because he just called rate increases from the insurance companies "a tax" in the video above.

Old 09-22-2009, 07:28 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,288,764 times
Enjoying my popcorn while watching the resident DC retards redefine words and talk about "the other side" to deflect. Unsuccessful people typically are unsuccessful because they feel compelled to blame others. It's also classic political nonsense and noise. So what you have to pay more? It's not a tax! Even though it says tax in the bill. Just like all of those troops going to Iraq and Afghanistan will be redefined as police officers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies