Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 09:22 AM

39,875 posts, read 26,526,580 times

Advertisements

If (when) it turns out he lies about this, and about covering criminal aliens on healthcare, will these become his "Read my lips, no new taxes" moments? Or will people just forget since it's from the messiah and all is forgiven?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 09:24 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,168,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Planter View Post
And if they don't want it, why would they being fined/taxed, whatever you wish to call it for not wanting it?
So that the insane retail costs of the care they have to incur when they fall off the roof of their house is mitigated. Im not sure how much of their fee (or tax, or xat, or eef) would go toward covering their medical expenses (but I think it's funny that they'd end up paying both these costs).

As someone else said, here or in another thread, if these people who want to be uninsured can pay for any medical cost 100% cash out of pocket, that's fine. OTOH if they can afford to pay cash and retail, they can certainly afford to pay the relatively tiny fraction that would be insurance. (Nobody cares if they do or dont, just an observation.)

It's just a shoot-yourself-in-the-foot gamble seems to me.

Old 09-22-2009, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlilesiu View Post
You are back peddeling. You stated "Read the bill", and people posted the actual portion of the bill that contained the word "tax" and now are back peddeling to what Obama said in a speech.
Actually I said "you could read the plan" -- meant Obama's plan, not the Baucus bill. In the Sept 9 health care speech he goes into better detail about paying for all this, that's why I added it - here it is again for ya (you'd have to click the transcript link but it's to the page with the payment information):

//www.city-data.com/forum/10864521-post12.html

Old 09-22-2009, 09:44 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,744,135 times
I defend anyone's rights to be free from government manipulation whenever possible. Also, I choose to buy my health insurance and no one has, as of yet, forced me to do so.

Old 09-22-2009, 09:45 AM

4,104 posts, read 5,311,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
By "we", do you mean you intend to go without insurance? Because those are the only people who wd pay the govt anything.

"Those number are not real, they are imagined" -- nope, they're honest, true, real calculations. $500B over 10 years? Obviously cost-cutting legislation has to be put into place, and it will pass.
Clearly, it’s time for fresh thinking and transformational solutions that deliver President Obama’s targeted cost savings in order to cover healthcare for 47 million uninsured Americans. Fortunately, private sector “reformers†have tackled these issues for years, and many have proven it’s possible to cut costs *and* improve quality at the same time. Indeed, with a few smart bets on healthcare technology and service innovations already available, we believe reform can literally pay for itself.

Here’s how:
Waxman: ObamaĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Big Miss-Tackling Healthcare Inflation - CNBC Guest Blog - CNBC.com
Tell me why we have to pass legislation to enforce existing laws? Pelosi stated she was going to pay for reform by cutting out all the fraud. Fraud is illegal.

Old 09-22-2009, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
If (when) it turns out he lies about this, and about covering criminal aliens on healthcare, will these become his "Read my lips, no new taxes" moments? Or will people just forget since it's from the messiah and all is forgiven?
It would be a "Read my lips" moment and they'd all be thrown out. But since the final Act wont go into effect until 2013, the cost-cutting will begin first.

Old 09-22-2009, 09:53 AM

37,981 posts, read 22,167,958 times
Quote:
The only people who would be paying anything more than they pay now would be people who dont have health insurance.

The "tax" people are on about in this thread is the fee that would be pd by people who don't want insurance.
Not just people who "don't want insurance" it would be a tax even on people who had insurance, but the their insurance did not meet some arbitrarily defined requirements set by the federal government.

If I were to purchase health insurance that met all my needs and only cost me $100 a month, I would be taxed with a fine because my private health insurance did not meet government mandates. The same would be true if I purchased a premium health insurance, and the government thought it was too nice because it was the Cadillac of health insurance plans, they will punish me then too.

If 0bamaCare passes, all health insurance will be exactly like the 0bamaCare insurance, and the government will punish those who stray from those government mandates.

Old 09-22-2009, 09:54 AM

245 posts, read 447,957 times
Obama will go down as a bigger liar than the two Bushs. That isn't good for any Middle-Class American. The Middle-Class will end up paying for the bulk of his three trillion+ dollar health welfare plan.

Old 09-22-2009, 09:56 AM

37,981 posts, read 22,167,958 times
Quote:
It would be a "Read my lips" moment and they'd all be thrown out. But since the final Act wont go into effect until 2013, the cost-cutting will begin first.
Where is the "cost cutting bill"? Or are we just being promised that their will be one?

Government: "I promise, the cost cuts are in the mail, you will get them by 2013."

Sheeple: "Okey dokey"

Old 09-22-2009, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Where is the "cost cutting bill"? Or are we just being promised that their will be one?

Government: "I promise, the cost cuts are in the mail, you will get them by 2013."

Sheeple: "Okey dokey"
They want to stay in office doncha know
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies