Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 04:00 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,168,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
So..... does that mean we do not demand evidence that the government can run Medicare, Medicaid, Welfare, social Security and do it without fraud and waste, and lower the costs, without cutting services? Or is the plan simply - a blind faith and trust in 0bama's promises?
No, we should definitely demand away on everything that's important to us

Meanwhile, just sayin' from last Feb. concerning the stimulus, you may have forgotten:
For the most part, conservatives will be working to strip out the most progressive and economically important aspects of the bill -- money that goes to states for a variety of programs (including important health care programs) and money that goes directly into the hands of low income or out of work people, people who need it most and who are most likely to spend it in ways that will stimulate the economy. Conservatives will be also pushing for increased tax cuts for business and the rich, including tax cuts that benefit multi-national companies with large foreign holdings. And as if they weren't trying to do enough to ruin our economy, conservatives reportedly will also offer amendments to reduce or eliminate Pell Grants, which help Americans pay for higher education.

And on the health care front, this bill contains billions in investments for health IT, Medicare and Medicaid, and COBRA, all of which will make it easier to pass health care reform for everyone later this year and all of which are in danger of being stripped if conservatives have their way.

Jason Rosenbaum: Republicans Looking to Strip Health Care, Education provisions from recovery - Make the Call!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 04:09 PM

37,982 posts, read 22,163,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
No, we should definitely demand away on everything that's important to us

Meanwhile, just sayin' from last Feb. concerning the stimulus, you may have forgotten:
For the most part, conservatives will be working to strip out the most progressive and economically important aspects of the bill -- money that goes to states for a variety of programs (including important health care programs) and money that goes directly into the hands of low income or out of work people, people who need it most and who are most likely to spend it in ways that will stimulate the economy. Conservatives will be also pushing for increased tax cuts for business and the rich, including tax cuts that benefit multi-national companies with large foreign holdings. And as if they weren't trying to do enough to ruin our economy, conservatives reportedly will also offer amendments to reduce or eliminate Pell Grants, which help Americans pay for higher education.

And on the health care front, this bill contains billions in investments for health IT, Medicare and Medicaid, and COBRA, all of which will make it easier to pass health care reform for everyone later this year and all of which are in danger of being stripped if conservatives have their way.

Jason Rosenbaum: Republicans Looking to Strip Health Care, Education provisions from recovery - Make the Call!
Refresh my memory, has it been 6% or 7% of the stimulus money that has been spent to "jump start the economy"?

Your quotes are a spin on old, tired, divisive politics of the left, instead of calling people racists for disagreeing with their policies, this time they say we hate the poor instead.

Not being in favor of a bloated, wasteful, pork filled $787 billion dollar program, that does not stimulate until 2010 to 2012 does not mean they want to deny medical care for the poor. Besides, we do have Medicaid and S-CHIP set aside specifically for the poor, and even the not so poor. So go peddle your "Conservatives are mean and hate the poor" crap some place else.

Last edited by Wapasha; 09-22-2009 at 04:23 PM..

Old 09-22-2009, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
So go peddle your "Conservatives are mean and hate the poor" crap some place else.

This is the tragicomedy about conservative politicians. They dont dare be seen voting for something that looks as if they're pro-spending for people other than their conservative constituents. Thus, the buck is passed over and over, year after year until the problem gets too big and someone with some integrity has to step up and fix it. It doesnt matter though because their constituents are... have extremely short memories.

"...billions in investments for health IT, Medicare and Medicaid, and COBRA, all of which will make it easier to pass health care reform for everyone later this year...."

Old 09-22-2009, 04:37 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
When the question is over whether a contemplated payment is a tax or not, then the definition of what is and is not considered to be a tax becomes pertinent.
I agree, lets examine the Legal definition of taxes then shall we?

This term in its most extended sense includes all contributions imposed by the government

upon individuals for the service of the state, by whatever name they are called or known, whether by the name of tribute, tithe, talliage, impost, duty, gabel, custom, subsidy, aid, supply, excise, or other name.

Thanks for doing your best to prove that its not a tax, while indeed proving that it is.. Once again, you AND Obama failed when you claimed its not a tax..
Quote:
As you should know but probably don't, the health insurance available to members of Congress and other civilian federal employees actually differs very little from packages tpyically available through larger entities in the private sector. Rates, deductibles, and co-pays have all been going up for everybody, and lower income workers have a hard time affording the costs.
As a former IRS employee, I know extremely well all about the available options to the governmental sector. You act as if your posting adds to the conversation, other than to verify the fact that you are indeed a governmental employee.
Quote:
LOL. I guess you didn't realize that he was simply poking fun at you. If you are going to try to call any old increase in costs a "tax", then these ridiculously rising health care and health care insurance costs are indeed a "tax" as well. Try as you might, you can't have it both ways, you know...
Um, Obama was making fun at ME? Wow, I didnt know he knew existed let alone talked about me. Really, I missed my name being called out when he said that private rate increases were tax increases.. btw, your posting claiming this is indeed laughable, especially considering that it was Obama, who started the debate by saying that the private sector puts a tax on the citizens, but his program wont. Really, how close to the president are you that you can say these lies without falling off your chair laughing? Hillary, is this you?

Old 09-22-2009, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Yeah, sure it is. Until Mr. 20-Year-Old puts all that money into a new way-cool motorcycle that he then splatters along with himself into a tree, while of course not wearing a helmet, as that would be a sign of having surrendered his Individual Freedom. Then the ambulance comes and they haul him off to the emergency room where they plug him up to expensive machines and do all sorts of expensive procedures to save his worthless butt, while I and everybody else end up paying for it.
Jees, once again saganista elequately displays her stupidity, by ignoring that any motorcycle accident would be covered by auto insurance policy, not health care.

Old 09-22-2009, 04:42 PM

Quote:
I guess you'll be staying with your own insurance company, then, as many millions will do.
Happily, if Obama allows me to... After all, I'm one of those "self insured" individuals who actually can afford to pay to "self insure".. I didnt realise that was an option under Obamas plan, can you point out the part of the code which doesnt require me to pay for others care if I'm willing to pay for my own?

Old 09-22-2009, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Happily, if Obama allows me to... After all, I'm one of those "self insured" individuals who actually can afford to pay to "self insure".. I didnt realise that was an option under Obamas plan, can you point out the part of the code which doesnt require me to pay for others care if I'm willing to pay for my own?
I dont understand what you mean, are you asking if there's going to be a new tax to pay for this? The answer is no.

Look! This is the easiest-to-read transcription of HR3200 Ive found yet. H.R. 3200 - Wikisource

Old 09-22-2009, 05:06 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,288,764 times
Quote:
Still bitter over that stinging reproof, eh? Not knowing what the term "voluntary tax system" actually means is an entry on YOUR ledger (among others). And it'll not be found under Assets.
Unlike the government, I stopped making up word definitions when I was 5.

Old 09-22-2009, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Unlike the government, I stopped making up word definitions when I was 5.
oh govt-related euphemisms - "hiking the Appalachian trail", "preemptive war" (= invasion)...

this is great, from exactly 40 years and two days ago (also shows the decline in quality and -- here's a good euphemism -- "attention accommodation" that writing has suffered since then, even for Time mag):

Nation: THE EUPHEMISM: TELLING IT LIKE IT ISN'T - TIME

Old 09-22-2009, 05:24 PM

Quote:
i dont understand what you mean, are you asking if there's going to be a new tax to pay for this? The answer is no.

look! This is the easiest-to-read transcription of hr3200 ive found yet. h.r. 3200 - wikisource (http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/h.r._3200 - broken link)
you lie!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies