Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 11:03 AM

484 posts, read 1,217,271 times

Advertisements

They're back. Almost a decade after largely disappearing from public view, right-wing militias, ideologically driven tax defiers and sovereign citizens are appearing in large numbers around the country.

One law enforcement agency has found 50 new militia training groups — one of them made up of present and former police officers and soldiers. Authorities around the country are reporting a worrying uptick in Patriot activities and propaganda. "This is the most significant growth we've seen in 10 to 12 years," says one. "All it's lacking is a spark. I think it's only a matter of time before you see threats and violence."

SPLCenter.org: SPLC Report: Return of the Militias

Yes, this is from the SPLC, which many of you will dismiss as part of the "mainstream liberal media". Their findings though are supported by folks such as:

The National Criminal Justice Reference Service (National Criminal Justice Reference Service)
The FBI (FBI — Federal Bureau of Investigation Homepage)
US Department of Justice (Welcome to the United States Department of Justice)
National Threat Assessment Center & the Secret Service (United States Secret Service)

Search google for "Patriot movement" and you'll find links for press releases from these agencies as well as news in a variety of news outlets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2009, 11:04 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,878,379 times
LOL...SPLC or Morris Dees must need an infusion of donations...

Old 10-26-2009, 11:20 AM

737 posts, read 1,177,406 times
Eric Rudolph, Terry Nichols, Tim McVeigh, Scott Roeder, James von Brunn are all examples of the far-right wing extremists who want a very different America and murdered because of it. Although since most people don't subscribe to their ideology they are few and far between. The problem is that when one of these white nationalists or christian* reactionary people pop up they tend to cause the deaths of others. America as a whole doesn't face a these people as a threat as much as individuals who don't subscribe to their radical beliefs

*obviously some of these people claim to be Christian, but their actions speak louder than their words

Old 10-26-2009, 11:24 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,460,842 times
I think this country should be more Nationalistic. If we were we'd still have the World Trade Center towers. I don't believe that being more attuned to the needs of our country and its citizens necessarily has to be led by groups that have a racist or religious slant. I don't think it's too "fringe group" for the United States to welcome more nationalistic pride.

Old 10-26-2009, 11:24 AM

Five guys....wow that IS scary.

Old 10-26-2009, 11:40 AM

3,857 posts, read 4,217,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
Then present some "facts"

Here's what I know:

Immediately after the election, most people, even alot of conservatives, were genuinley proud of this country for breaking an enourmous barrier in race relations, depsite the politics. Now, about 10 months in and with things not going all that swimmingly, it seems we've here at C-D have been innundated with "Race" and how any critism of Obama is "race related"

Anytime a white person so much as steps on a Black person's shoe w/o saying sorry somewhere in America, there is a 50 page thread detailing how Third Riech stromtroopers are decending down on America's cities and towns killing and destroying all that is non-white. I don't normally agree w/ Rush Limbaugh, but he nailed it when he said that Liberals simply use race to try and silence dissent. You can't even go two posts w/o someone decrying how just because I don't want Washington running my healthcare, that I'm the most evil creature since George Wallace.
It's one big cinical ploy to intimidate and silence otherwise good people who aren't bigoted into towing the liberal line.

Wanna have a discussion about race? How about we drop the BS and look at the truth here: This all started once Obama started doing badly in the polls. If he starts to do well again, then everything will subside, once again.
You said: "This all started once Obama started doing badly in the polls"???????

The day after his election, as was pointed out in the first post here, white "nationalist's" web sites CRASHED a number of times because so many people were attempting to join. Obama's poll numbers were great the day after the election.

You said, "I don't normally agree with Rush Lingaugh, but"....... is that sorta like "I'm not a racist, but"???

Old 10-26-2009, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin13 View Post

You said, "I don't normally agree with Rush Lingaugh, but"....... is that sorta like "I'm not a racist, but"???
How intolerant you sound...

Old 10-26-2009, 11:43 AM

737 posts, read 1,177,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Five guys....wow that IS scary.
Go ahead and say that to the families of the victims of the Oklahoma City bombing.

A few years after that a few guys each hijacked airplanes to ram them into buildings. So yes anyone can cause death

Old 10-26-2009, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityPerson09 View Post
Go ahead and say that to the families of the victims of the Oklahoma City bombing.

A few years after that a few guys each hijacked airplanes to ram them into buildings. So yes anyone can cause death
Yes that is very true...however it would seem logical to be more concerned over MUSLIM terrorists considering the number of attacks and deaths they have caused....unless of course a person has an agenda he is pushing....

Old 10-26-2009, 11:47 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,638,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
LOL...SPLC or Morris Dees must need an infusion of donations...
Someone is in need it seems.. If this 'surge' in 'right wing paramilitary extremism' is , indeed, as bad as we are being told by some, and they are becoming so bold, where are all the incidents of violence and mayhem happening? Seems to me that certain people want to cry havoc, and label everyone who does not agree with the current administrations policies as 'right wing radicals'. By spreading fear that an explosion of 'militia groups' will be rolling down the highways an byways of the country spraying bullets at everyone who is supportive of the Obama regime. Spare me. A guy could get rich , even in this economy, by getting into a large number of shares in Renyolds. Lol, there is enough paranoia on the fringes of both the left and right to clean out the foil supplies in every grocery and convienience store nationwide. I , personally, will choose to go quietly about my business. I'll worry about the neo nazis rolling in or seeing bright blue helmets with UN emblazoned on them when I see them coming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies