Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2009, 10:31 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,131,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
False analogies. Letting a Jew live or letting a black go free is not the same thing as being forced to gestate a human being inside your own body for 9 months and then go through the process of birth. There is no comparison. An embryo/fetus is part of a woman's body. A Jew is not part of a Nazi's body; a black slave is not part of a slaveowner's body. Respecting the rights of these two groups posed NO physical consequences to the perpetrators of injustice. For all kinds of reasons, a woman cannot be forced to endure a pregnancy against her will. Should she be more responsible and avoid pregnancy to begin with? Absolutely. But let's also don't forget rape, incest, congenital anomalies, or conditions that make pregnancy and birth more dangerous than usual (yes, pregnancy and birth are both dangerous to women).

Like it or not, abortion is truly unique. There are no comparable analogies.

More excuses to give the green light to abortion. Just like politicians like to seize the day with talk of funding police and firefighters, pro-choice folks like to drag the incest, rape, anomolies argument into the picture as an attempt to justify their beliefs that abortion is justifiable and right. But of course you make no mention that 47% of all abortions are performed on women who have had more than one abortion. The bottom line is that abortion is being used as a method birth control for many women, which is abhorrent. I will never defend this type of activity, or choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 10:32 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,155,997 times
Those who are against abortion hate a woman having a right to her own body .

They WANT GOVERNMENT INTERFERENCE in HER body but NOT theirs!!!!

FLIPFLOP

They think abortion is murder and then turn

A R O U N D FLIP FLOP

and say it's OK in the case of incest, children having babies or rape...????

Talk about mixed up!!!

And then they think they're applying REASON??!!!! Or logic ?!!!

Old 11-03-2009, 10:41 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,635,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
it was legal to exterminate Jews in Germany. Slavery was legal in America. Does the fact it is legal make it right?
You also will not change my mind about this genocide.

i think Birth control should be free. Not getting pregant with masturbation. I'm fine with the he morning after pill
Well, then we agree on the preventative measures. That's my biggest hurdle with many pro life people... there are quite a few who want to ban the use of contraception entirely and that bothers me.

And comparing exterminating Jews (especially to a woman who was born and raised in Germany and had to deal with that guilt...) and slavery to abortion is a ridiculous argument. Call it what you want...call it baby murdering, call it genocide... those words and phrases don't tug on my heart string as much as you'd like them too.

I still feel that abortion is a viable medical procedure that is private, and between a woman, her family (if she chooses) and her doctor(s). Period.

Old 11-03-2009, 11:14 AM

38,644 posts, read 26,389,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
False analogies. Letting a Jew live or letting a black go free is not the same thing as being forced to gestate a human being inside your own body for 9 months and then go through the process of birth. There is no comparison. An embryo/fetus is part of a woman's body. A Jew is not part of a Nazi's body; a black slave is not part of a slaveowner's body. Respecting the rights of these two groups posed NO physical consequences to the perpetrators of injustice. For all kinds of reasons, a woman cannot be forced to endure a pregnancy against her will. Should she be more responsible and avoid pregnancy to begin with? Absolutely. But let's also don't forget rape, incest, congenital anomalies, or conditions that make pregnancy and birth more dangerous than usual (yes, pregnancy and birth are both dangerous to women).

Like it or not, abortion is truly unique. There are no comparable analogies.

If the fetus were part of the mother's body, it would have her DNA and never be male. Splitting hairs won't change the facts. Jews were exterminated by the Nazis because they were a part of the nation that was rejected. Fetuses are not part of the mother's body, but they are a part of our nation that has been rejected just like German Jews. Blacks were declared to be property of their "owner". In both cases, a law making body declared them to be less than human.

Old 11-03-2009, 11:31 AM

3,004 posts, read 3,887,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Fetuses are not part of the mother's body . . .
No kidding? Whoah! Who knew?

Okay, it's comments like these that ensure your side will never win. Come to the debate table with at least a modicum of logic, or stay home. Anti-abortion proponents have many good arguments, as do pro-choice proponents. This just isn't one of them.

For those who are attacking my position on the basis of legality vs. morality -- don't get me and my argument confused with others'. I have never supported abortion on the basis of its current legality. We all know that "legal" is not equivalent to "moral" and those who choose to make that argument are misguided and as illogical as their opponents who make similarly stupid statements.

I also have never supported, and in fact, I've been quite clear on this, abortion used as birth control. I find that practice completely repugnant in every way.

Abortion is a multi-faceted and complex issue that can be discussed from many angles and inspires all kinds of responses. If you want to have a serious discussion, you must make an attempt to know what you are saying and to hear what your opponent is saying, so that you don't wind up lost on the wrong battlefield.

Old 11-03-2009, 11:36 AM

3,004 posts, read 3,887,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
More excuses to give the green light to abortion. Just like politicians like to seize the day with talk of funding police and firefighters, pro-choice folks like to drag the incest, rape, anomolies argument into the picture as an attempt to justify their beliefs that abortion is justifiable and right. But of course you make no mention that 47% of all abortions are performed on women who have had more than one abortion. The bottom line is that abortion is being used as a method birth control for many women, which is abhorrent. I will never defend this type of activity, or choice.
You cannot belittle, ridicule, and dismiss the mention of rape in the abortion debate when it is the pro-lifer extremists who have made such a point of declaring that even rape is no justification for abortion.

If there were only one pregnancy due to rape per one million women, I'd have to be pro-choice. Because societal rape via forced pregnancy that endures for 9 months and culminates in the excrutiatingly painful experience of childbirth, for even ONE woman, is something I will never personally allow.

Old 11-03-2009, 11:40 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,226,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Well, then we agree on the preventative measures. That's my biggest hurdle with many pro life people... there are quite a few who want to ban the use of contraception entirely and that bothers me.

And comparing exterminating Jews (especially to a woman who was born and raised in Germany and had to deal with that guilt...) and slavery to abortion is a ridiculous argument. Call it what you want...call it baby murdering, call it genocide... those words and phrases don't tug on my heart string as much as you'd like them too.

I still feel that abortion is a viable medical procedure that is private, and between a woman, her family (if she chooses) and her doctor(s). Period.
49 million people denied their right to live is a genocide whether you like the term or not. I understand why the pro abortion crowd does not like to hear the term. In the choice to deny a life the one with no say so is the one being killed. Their only voice comes from those of us who care

Last edited by wjtwet; 11-03-2009 at 11:41 AM.. Reason: typos

Old 11-03-2009, 11:41 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,538,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Those who are against abortion hate a woman having a right to her own body .

They WANT GOVERNMENT INTERFERENCE in HER body but NOT theirs!!!!

FLIPFLOP

They think abortion is murder and then turn

A R O U N D FLIP FLOP

and say it's OK in the case of incest, children having babies or rape...????

Talk about mixed up!!!

And then they think they're applying REASON??!!!! Or logic ?!!!

NO. We who are pro-life are very pro-woman.

We are pro-women who are sexually responsible

We are pro-women who respect themselves enough to take precautions since we as women carry the burden of a pregnancy

We are pro-women who are empowered and educated and are self-aware

We are pro-women who are caring and loving enough to allow a child to survive even if the child will need to be adopted and raised by another family

We are pro-women and pro placing the emphasis more on sex education and building the self esteem/self confidence of women/girls to make smart decisions about sex

Old 11-03-2009, 11:45 AM

38,644 posts, read 26,389,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
And for the billionth time, no! Abortion is legal because the government has NO RIGHT to get in the way of a woman and her body and her doctor.

Simple as that. It will stay that way.

Ironic how Republicans do not want UHC government health care because they are getting into our lives but have no problem whatsoever getting the government in the way of a woman and her doctor.

Blacks are also non human if the fetus is not? What are you trying to say there?

I know. How dare you.

Don't ever talk again if it is from personal knowledge, ok? It is invalid.

I only want to hear what you THINK. Not KNOW.

Where have you been for the past 206 years?

The Supreme Court has no constitutional authority to legislate, yet they do (Marbury v. Madison).

And for the billionth time it can't be her body if it has different DNA, and it definitely cannot be male.

It's not her body. It's someone else's body and that someone has the right to live.

Old 11-03-2009, 11:50 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,482,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
For the billionth time, Abortion is legal because Norma McCovney lied about being raped which caused the SCOTUS to overstep their Constitutionally limited power and declare an entire class of people sub-human again (see Dred Scott).
The means by which Norma McCorvey became pregnant was not an issue in Roe. At issue was the right of the state of Texas to preclude her from terminating a pregnancy she did not wish to continue. The decision in Roe -- finding that there is no power created that permits violation of a woman's right to decide when or whether to procreate -- makes no reference at all to either the rights or the legal status of embryos or fetuses, since neither one of them had any of either to start out with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies