Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2009, 01:20 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,970,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Have you ever been to a PP? They got me through some tough times when I was uninsured and needed birth control to regulate my periods. I've also gone to two separate counseling sessions... one for abortion with a close friend, and one with my little brothers girlfriend (they're both 17) who's mom was too perpetually drunk to take her to the doctor and get on bc/get sex ed advice.

My friend had to go through 3 counseling sessions before she was given the ability to get an abortion...I don't know how it is with other PP, but that's how it is with my local one. She was given multitudes of information on adoption, government programs, groups that help out single/pregnant mothers and plenty of charities that would be willing to give her baby clothes and supplies. In the end, she chose to abort and hasn't regretted it at all.

I think PP does a great service.
Yeah, I know they do some good. But whenever I hear their activists talk its always about abortion rights and never about preventing unplanned pregnancies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 01:20 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,713,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
You offer no evidence for that at all. The Supreme Court decision meanwhile presumes these facts...

Roe alleged that she was unmarried and pregnant; that she wished to terminate her pregnancy by an abortion "performed by a competent, licensed physician, under safe, clinical conditions"; that she was unable to get a "legal" abortion in Texas because her life did not appear to be threatened by the continuation of her pregnancy; and that she could not afford to travel to another jurisdiction in order to secure a legal abortion under safe conditions.

Despite the use of the pseudonym, no suggestion is made that Roe is a fictitious person. For purposes of her case, we accept as true, and as established, her existence; her pregnant state, as of the inception of her suit in March 1970 and as late as May 21 of that year when she filed an alias affidavit with the District Court; and her inability to obtain a legal abortion in Texas.

She is pregnant, does not want to be, and is prevented by Texas law from obtaining a legal abortion. End of story. How she may or may not have become pregnant doesn't enter into it.
Abortion, when performed correctly, results in death 100% of the time. You support this.

Old 11-03-2009, 01:26 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,635,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Yeah, I know they do some good. But whenever I hear their activists talk its always about abortion rights and never about preventing unplanned pregnancies.
I think it's because it's a more emotional issue. It gets a lot more people riled up, so obviously that's what's focused on. Do you think the media would report on middle aged women handing out birth control and doing pap smears on women who don't (or can't afford) have insurance? Or maybe handing out condoms at college fairs? It's just not as exciting.

The media thrives on making mountains out of mole hills...so that's what they do.

Old 11-03-2009, 01:26 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,482,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
Abortion, when performed correctly, results in death 100% of the time. You support this.
Yes, I certainly do. I do not have -- as some do -- any illusions considering the actual state and nature of blastocysts, zygotes, embryos, and fetuses. Mystical, magical beliefs and preachings do not make any sort of case at all.

Old 11-03-2009, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Yes, I certainly do. I do not have -- as some do -- any illusions considering the actual state and nature of blastocysts, zygotes, embryos, and fetuses. Mystical, magical beliefs and preachings do not make any sort of case at all.
So, you readily admit all human life is not equal. Thank you for your honesty.

Old 11-03-2009, 01:30 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,970,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XodoX View Post
This is what you all get wrong. There's NO pro-abortion, but there's a pro-CHOICE.

Wondering where all the Republicans are. Government banning abortion? Where are the whining Republicans here? Government banning abortion is ok, but providing health care is not? Because the government needs to stay out of the people's business, you say?

Bunch of hypocrites, sorry.
Please don't paint with such a broad brush. This Republican believes abortion should remain legal. At the same time, per my earlier post, I think it's a disgrace that we do not cooperate as a society and work to reduce the number of unplanned pregnancies.

Just because we're Republican doesn't mean we buy the whole party line 'ya know!

Old 11-03-2009, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Please don't paint with such a broad brush. This Republican believes abortion should remain legal. At the same time, per my earlier post, I think it's a disgrace that we do not cooperate as a society and work to reduce the number of unplanned pregnancies.

Just because we're Republican doesn't mean we buy the whole party line 'ya know!
I wish the left would learn that there is a huge difference between republicans and conservatives. You are a republican. I am a conservative.

Old 11-03-2009, 01:56 PM

38,644 posts, read 26,389,506 times
Quote:
Does the judiciary have any role at all? You are aware that very few laws can be written with such specificity as to preclude there arising multiple interpretations of such law or one of its provisions.

Whose body is a transplanted kidney part of? Does it belong still to the donor, or if it should fail in turn, may the recipient of his or her own volition choose to discard it and seek another? You aren't going to get anywhere with DNA arguments. Neither will you by simply claiming that things have a right to life. Something more than your personal say-so would be called for...
The Constitution gave us a legislative branch to enact laws. If we wanted a king, we would have crowned one.

Nice diversion,

The assertion that was made was "it is her body".

Argue with strawmen on your own time.

How can "her body" have unique DNA or be male?

Old 11-03-2009, 02:03 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,576,037 times
Quote:
Agreed.

We as pro choicers should fight and advocate educating women AND men on how to prevent pregnancy if it is unwanted. Everyone wants to blame the female but the male is equally involved, no?

My partner and I use various methods for the past year and I have not yet got pregnant (thank goodness).

When conservatives or Republicans do not want us even teaching birth control, then it is wrong. Abstinence works but only if the couple WANT it to work. I agree with teaching abstinence as well as condoms and birth control.

Abortion should always be the LAST resort. There is birth control, abstinence and adoption. Perhaps, in sex ed, they can go over how horrific abortion is and the long lasting effects it has had on some women. Some women lose their ability to have children in the future, right? Go over that. Go over the pain it may create physically and emotionally. I say "may" because some women only feel discomfort and some do not have any emotional hurt feelings.

I agree that we need to teach our students more. Sorry, but I disagree with teaching only abstinence. Teach that as well as other things.

Old 11-03-2009, 03:01 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,430,049 times
Quote:
You are changing the topic. The claim was made that all life was sacred. A polyp is not just unquestionably life, but unquestionably life of human origin. Yet we remove and discard polyps every day without giving the matter a second thought. It must be that "human life" by itself is no standard for special protection.

BABY

NOT A BABY

An acorn is not an oak tree. A pile of lumber sitting in a vacant lot covered by one of those garish blue tarps is not a house. Nearly 50% of pregnancies ends in spontaneous abortion. There is no guaranty of any conceptus ever becoming anything. What you count on here is potential. The same potential that any woman reaching the end of her child-bearing years with but three children will have discarded something like 17 times. Fetuses have no right to expect to be conceived and born. Those decisions are made by women...and each one for herself only.

You don't have any case at all that is not based upon religion, and you may not in this country impose your religious beliefs on others through law. If you can come up with pertinent non-magical, non-mystical, more-than-emotional arguments, those are apt to be listened to. But you cannot...
Again, you're grasping at straws and haven't proved anything I said wrong.

Yes, an acorn IS an oak tree at it's earliest form. That acorn will turn into nothing more than an oak tree. It will not grow into a pine tree, rhinoceros, tin can or 1970 Chevy Nova. It's an oak tree and that's what it looks like in its earliest form. If you want to deny that, you show your ignorance.

A fetus IS a child at its earliest form. You cannot deny that.

I've changed no subject. Just pointed out that you have nothing of any intelligence to say. It's sad when there are those that are so fervently anti-anything Christian or conservative that they can't see past their vitriol and realize the simple SCIENTIFIC fact that an embryo IS a child at its earliest form.

Those that are against abortion are that way because we feel that you're taking a life. It's about nothing more. We CARE for that unborn life and it disgusts us that there are those out there that don't care anything for that life.

It's pathetic and sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies