Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 12:12 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,314,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Then why don't you do it? Private tutors are abundant.
I ain't talking private. I'm thinking more along the line of communal case load.

But I'd hate to have my kid complain every time I take the low bidder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 12:14 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,523,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Yeah I will run that by the dozen or so people and or business that I can think of off the top of my head that I work with, that do not work for Boeing, but indirectly are in business because of Boeing. Everyone from auto dealerships to appliance sales feel the effects of Boeing's ups and downs.
Elliott says Boeing will have to create at least 3,800 jobs and invest more than $750 million within seven years to take advantage of the various inducements.

North Myrtle Beach Times (http://www.nmbtimes.com/nm/publish/news_314.html - broken link)

While 3,800 jobs is a positive for SC, to say that an entire state's economy will get "much better" or "much worse" based on this information alone is much more than a little naive.

How much is Boeing paying the new workers? If it's less than their union counterparts, "auto dealerships" and "appliance sales" would profit more from the union workers.

Old 11-05-2009, 12:16 PM

Quote:
More like a political action committee with an incestous relationship with one political party, selling votes for power and in the process they drive up the cost of living for the vast majority of working families.

Scary rhetoric, indeed. Mommy!

(You are aware that all business interests have lobbyists?)

Old 11-05-2009, 12:18 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times
Quote:
More like a political action committee with an incestous relationship with one political party, selling votes for power and in the process they drive up the cost of living for the vast majority of working families.
Unless the incestuous relationship involves only the rich, the powerful lobbyists, then it is all fine and dandy.

Seriously, are you one of them? Or, just a self-defeater who simply believes that his/her "superior" will always have your best interest in mind.

Old 11-05-2009, 12:20 PM

9,888 posts, read 10,818,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Southwest Airlines is the most unionized airline in the Nation. It pays the highest wages. For decades it has kicked ass on other less unionized airlines.
It holds records for consecutive profitable quarters.

So there's a counterexample to your silly Boeing anecdote.
No its not any kind of counterexample. Boeing is major employer in an entire region, when its labor unions get to greedy they decide its time to look at other options , so when they pull out how is that better for the union workers than what they had?
Steven Pearlstein - To Survive, Unions Must Head Back to Their Roots - washingtonpost.com
"Unionized workers at Southwest Airlines have shown that it is possible to have good-paying jobs while accommodating market realities."

Old 11-05-2009, 12:26 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,972,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
I ain't talking private. I'm thinking more along the line of communal case load.

But I'd hate to have my kid complain every time I take the low bidder.
We have kind of this system in Texas. If you can afford to live in the wealthiest parts of town your kids can go to exclusive school districts where the are no poor/average income kids. My kids actually go here. They go to school with kids of Asian doctors, Asian engineers, CEO's kids, CFO's kids, Law Partner's kids, Dallas Cowboy's kids. They have a pre-med program in the High Schools, then tutoring to excel in subjects at Kumon after school. White average income kids can't afford to live in the district.

Public education GOP style.....Survival of the fittest.

You asked for it...you got it.

Old 11-05-2009, 12:27 PM

Quote:
No its not any kind of counterexample. Boeing is major employer in an entire region, when its labor unions get to greedy they decide its time to look at other options , so when they pull out how is that better for the union workers than what they had?
Did you miss the part about the incentives offered to Boeing by the state of SC? That's why Boeing is setting up shop in the South, not because of the union. Boeing is under no obligation to renew its contract with the machinists. Therefore, if the union were the sole motivator in Boeing's decision, it would have hired non-union machinists from the Seattle area. You don't have to move across the country to find workers.

Old 11-05-2009, 12:44 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
Class systems are always trying to limit entry unto the upper levels and maintain the differences. Education is a fundamental part of this system. Rich kids go to rich schools and get to know other rich kids so they will help their friends through exclusive colleges with new rich kids. Then they join the "work force" as jr executives and never ever meet their lesser beings.

New Hampshire schools are a lot like Texas. Wealthy towns have expensive houses and wealthy residents and they have some of the best schools anywhere. Poor cities with collapsed economies have poor people attending relatively poor schools so the kids simply do not have a very good chance of ever getting out of poverty.

OP - maybe Boeing moved because most of the materials for the Dreamliner are made in South Carolina. The workers of SC need to force their legislature to repeal the absurd Right to Work laws.

Old 11-05-2009, 12:45 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,314,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
We have kind of this system in Texas. If you can afford to live in the wealthiest parts of town your kids can go to exclusive school districts where the are no poor/average income kids. My kids actually go here. They go to school with kids of Asian doctors, Asian engineers, CEO's kids, CFO's kids, Law Partner's kids, Dallas Cowboy's kids. They have a pre-med program in the High Schools, then tutoring to excel in subjects at Kumon after school. White average income kids can't afford to live in the district.

Public education GOP style.....Survival of the fittest.

You asked for it...you got it.
No- I'm talking Non-Public education - Libertarian style.

I just might want my kid to be taught chemistry by a chemist, passionate about chemistry, rather than a person with a teaching degree.

Old 11-05-2009, 12:45 PM

9,888 posts, read 10,818,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Did you miss the part about the incentives offered to Boeing by the state of SC? That's why Boeing is setting up shop in the South, not because of the union. Boeing is under no obligation to renew its contract with the machinists. Therefore, if the union were the sole motivator in Boeing's decision, it would have hired non-union machinists from the Seattle area. You don't have to move across the country to find workers.
No , did you miss this part of my original post? (Unfortunately Boeing is not an isolated or unique case, when you couple the greedy unions and the greedy government in this state it makes for a very hostile environment for business) There is no way that Boeing could ever go non union in this state, period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies