Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2009, 09:29 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,302,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
The only way to take this is "lightly." It is absurd to make a causal connection between being called names and turning into an evil murderous thug. Certainly bullying is serious business when we're talking about a victim who is truly powerless (such as a small child outpowered by a group or a larger person), but this terrorist jihadi was a Major in the U.S. Army. He could easily have disciplined any subordinates who disrespected him, and he could have filed harassment suits against any superiors.

It's time to stop making excuses for people and tell them to "cowboy up." A military man should be a . . . man.
You don't get it. It's not about what is fair or how someone should react. Of course, bullying should never lead to one murdering 12 people. That's not what I said nor what I'm arguing. It's about protecting and preventing something like this from happening again. There are individuals who are psychologically unbalanced and anything can set these people off. A military man should also treat people with respect and show honor to his fellow soldiers...that's also being a man! Being a man isn't calling someone else a camel jockey...that is just being trashy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2009, 09:40 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,529,744 times
I know this is sort of off-topic in discussion of this tragedy but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
I like Mormons. To my knowledge, they've never once murdered large groups of non-Mormons in the name of Mormonism.
Mountain Meadows massacre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-06-2009, 09:40 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
So what we are called rednecks and don't go around killing masses of people because of it. Real excuse there.You will find that nothing will stop a mass murderer from finding a reason toustify what he wants to do.. people always have excsues and often as evidenced here actually go of their way to confront people. He afterall was give a poor evluation for his attitude with wounded solidesr at Reed. Like a guy looking for a excuse for starting for a fight. tdoes not take a mentally ill person to do this but cettainly; a evil person.You can't alk on tiptoes thru life really.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:46 PM

1,715 posts, read 4,779,206 times
Wow I thought he was a psychiatrist did not know he was in the calvary

Old 11-06-2009, 09:51 PM

1,133 posts, read 712,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre57 View Post
We (Americans) should be thankful that we do NOT have people with opinions such as these making up our immigration and enforcement laws, or writing American foreign policy, we would definitely be in trouble.
No we would be securing our future and not falling to the demise that the Europeans hav relegated themselves to. Do not be surprized if a moratorium is not in our future. I would vote fo rthat now.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:55 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,678,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atilla View Post
No we would be securing our future and not falling to the demise that the Europeans hav relegated themselves to. Do not be surprized if a moratorium is not in our future. I would vote fo rthat now.
That gets into dangerous territory - demonizing certain groups and blaming them for the country's problems. The Nazis experimented with that, you may recall.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:57 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,280,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Fort Hood shooting suspect, Major Nidal Malik Hasan, wanted out of the Army after being constantly harassed by others in the military and was called a "camel jockey," his family said.

As Hasan was about to be deployed to Iraq, he was suffering from some of the same stresses that he was trained as an Army psychiatrist to treat.

Nidal Malik Hasan Wanted Out of Army, Family Said - ABC News
I wonder if every Christian who got called names and shot all his buddies and subordinates like that would be eased up on like he was. I have come to think that the man wanted to take as many with him as possible since he shot about 200 rounds in a crowded auditorium. I bet that was probably the most taped mass murder in history since those people were at some kind of graduation ceremony.

I kind of favor that name for a man who is said to have been shouting Allah, Akbar while blasting away. I am glad he will survive so he can be tried for his crimes and won't get his 72 virgins for some time.

Old 11-06-2009, 10:01 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
You don't get it. It's not about what is fair or how someone should react. Of course, bullying should never lead to one murdering 12 people. That's not what I said nor what I'm arguing. It's about protecting and preventing something like this from happening again. There are individuals who are psychologically unbalanced and anything can set these people off. A military man should also treat people with respect and show honor to his fellow soldiers...that's also being a man! Being a man isn't calling someone else a camel jockey...that is just being trashy
Which is quite impossible to do. You would approve restricting all Americans from things "just in case?"

One person shoots another and all of a sudden ALL guns should be outlawed to "prevent something like this from happening again" ?

You can't do that after the fact. It's now coming out that there were plenty of warning signs and red flags that got ignored along the way.

Had they not been ignored..the future may have turned out differently.

Old 11-06-2009, 10:02 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,196,736 times
If he was a PFC, maybe it would be believable.

It was stated he was an officer ( Major) and outranked 99% of the soldiers.

Do you really believe some 19 year old PFC is gonna be harrassing a Major ?

Old 11-06-2009, 10:04 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,479,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
This issue shouldn't be taken lightly. The Columbine murders, the Virginia Tech shooter and this person all felt like they had been picked on and were outsiders or rejected people. Bullying is not okay. As we can see, it can lead to a lot of anger and angry people can commit atrocious acts.
Neither is murder. There were too many other things he could have done to address the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies