Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Agree or disagree: Society would be better off if women stayed out of the workplace
Strongly agree 34 12.93%
Mostly agree 22 8.37%
Neither agree nor disagree 19 7.22%
Mostly disagree 19 7.22%
Strongly disagree 169 64.26%
Voters: 263. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 08:39 AM

31,292 posts, read 20,749,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Ah the American Taliban, perhaps Burkas and Polygamy?

Those two items have nothing in common.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 08:42 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,155,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Ya, they're both sexist.

Old 08-08-2010, 08:43 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,155,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
What is your point? Men and women can be rude and oppressive. However, women are quicker to cry and point the finger instead of taking responsibility if they started the fight first. I've seen it happen again and again.
Sounds like your experiences have been extremely limited and focused.

Soooo....rude and oppresive people should not be allowed to work???

Old 08-08-2010, 08:58 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,956,590 times
Rude and oppressive weirdos should work but I don't know where.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Sounds like your experiences have been extremely limited and focused.

Soooo....rude and oppresive people should not be allowed to work???

Last edited by artsyguy; 08-08-2010 at 09:26 AM..

Old 08-08-2010, 09:19 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,326,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
I think the education system is anti-artistic.

I was born with artism, and the schools were unable to . . "get my mind right".

Old 08-08-2010, 10:00 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,340,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
If the argument is against dual incomes, then who's to say it should be the woman who should stay out of the workplace? That's a logical fallacy.

Can someone put forward a more reasonable argument against women in the workplace? Or perhaps make a separate argument against both spouses working at the same time?

Or should we just write this off as another nonsense thread?
This.

Old 08-08-2010, 01:58 PM

15,096 posts, read 8,639,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
See, this is a huge failing of the women's movement -- thinking that being equal to a man, even with regard to man's WORST qualities, is somehow an improvement over being a woman!!!! I mean, how pathetic is that? How ironic that women strive to negate the natural strengths of their gender in order to emulate the worst qualities associated with males. That's a misquided aspiration if ever there was one.

Is it wonderful that there are more girl gangs in the ghetto now, and that they are becoming increasingly vicious?

I think we should all try to be better people while embracing what we are and recognize that "equal" does not mean "equivalent." Men should stop trying to learn how to cry and emote more, and women should stop trying to be cutthroat in the professional sphere.
How refreshing .. good old common sense ... but I now tend to expect that from you, so no surprise there!

Overal, the question posed in the OP is an attempt to simplify a complex issue. So, when dealing with a complex issue, it's best to break it down, and avoid absolutes.

Going back to the beginnings of this ... the feminist movement ... one can see an multifold agenda behind it. It was born in a very calculated way ... social engineering for which the negative consequences were not necessarily "unintended", and though many woman have personally benefitted, the negative aspects now being realized in hindsight is proving to be a net negative for everyone ... including those women.

The feminist movement provided far more benefits to those behind it's creation than the benefits realized by the feminists themselves, in the form of a huge expansion of "labor resources", which is always desirable for business, and bad for workers in general. When there is more competition for a finite labor pool, increased compensation and benefits and working conditions are the logical result to attract and secure those needed resources. On the other hand, when there are too few jobs for the number of potential workers, compensation and benefits drop, which is why big business looks at higher unemployment as a good thing, though I doubt many "workers" consider it a positive!

The second benefit to business was that the subsequent creation of a two income household replacing the traditional one income version provided increases in disposable income ... the need for two cars instead of one ... the ability to increase prices for goods ... more movement in real estate markets with the purchasing of larger homes, etc. etc. ALL of this was great for big business, and appeared to be great for the average family too ... at least during upturns in the economic cycle. But the moment the cycle takes a turn down, business contracts, trims it's labor pool, and the family takes the hit in reduced income to support the new price ceilings on all of their needs. That's the economics angle that has been a net negative.

Now there are also the social implications to go along with the negative economic impact which by all measures ... financial matters are always one of the key stress points in relationships and marriages. Two income workers stressed over finances as prices continue to increase while incomes stagnate or decline ... the marriage suffers through these stresses, as do the children of these families who no longer receive the nurturing and supervision that a full time stay at home "parent" provides. This opens the door wide for the "state" to become the children's parents, rather than the parents raising their kids.

This "re-engineering" of the societal structure of 'middle class America' relied on mainstream media propaganda that preyed upon individual selfishness and foolishness ... telling women that they can have it all ... a happy marriage, a full time career and raising a family too. THE BIG LIE, that is only now being recognized for what it was intended to be. The destruction of middle class America who have always been the intellectual, economic, and moral backbone of our society. But even now, few realize what a prominent role the feminist movement played in this carefully designed re-engineering of American society.

This has produced skyrocketing divorce rates, extraordinary numbers of single parent households, 3 or more generations of government raised children, and a middle class that is on the verge of extinction.

Of course, some women benefitted personally ... and there are always situations where women need to be self sufficient and have available to them the opportunities to achieve their individual goals in life which may not include marriage and children .. and they should certainly have those opportunities. At the same time, women must also have the ability to support their family in the absence of a partner (for whatever reason), so there are no universal absolutes in relegating women to one role in society.

At the same time, it is just as important to recognize how women in general have been used and manipulated into serving this agenda of social engineering which has produced a net negative over the long haul for society, children, their mates, and themselves too, none the least of which is the stolen choice to enjoy the traditional role of SAHM which is now reserved for only the financially fortunate few.

We've become a society of I-I-I ...ME-ME-ME .... MINE-MINE-MINE, and winner take all, and I want my cake and eat it too. The price for this self centeredness is just now coming due, and the costs to women include abandoning the duty of serving your children and your family's best interests, to being a corporate slave, serving theirs.

In the end ... the corporation won't love you, because it never did.

Old 08-08-2010, 02:18 PM

43 posts, read 76,851 times
I definitely disagree with the question as it is asked, but I do believe we would be better off if families had one person at home to raise kids. I have two friends and my own brother that stay home while their wife works, and I have worked with too many talented women to say that we'd be better off without them. We are well beyond a blanket reponse over which gender should shoulder each responsibility. Perhaps another interesting question would be "Agree or disagree: American society would be better off if parents raised their kids instead of depending on schools and daycare."

Old 08-08-2010, 02:29 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,079,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua0 View Post
Off topic:

I think problems in society began when women stopped being selective about who they mated with and had babies with.

If deadbeats found it IMPOSSIBLE to obtain sex unless he stopped being one, he'd stop being one.

The old 50's dating guidelines for girls: "Play hard to get. You have something highly valuable and desired by the male sex." Gone and out the window.

Welcome to our society where all kinds of unqualified people become parents.

Old 08-08-2010, 02:48 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,079,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
In the 60's and 70's CEOs and other top execs made 30 to 40% more than the average American....NOW it's 400-600%...is that REALLY the fault of women???....
It just might be the fault of the working women who left the kids at home to grow up with no discipline, etc., etc., that "produced" these current CEO's and top execs. that are now so greedy and have no ethics, eh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies