Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Agree or disagree: Society would be better off if women stayed out of the workplace
Strongly agree 34 12.93%
Mostly agree 22 8.37%
Neither agree nor disagree 19 7.22%
Mostly disagree 19 7.22%
Strongly disagree 169 64.26%
Voters: 263. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 01:49 AM

38,644 posts, read 26,389,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Some argue that the women's movement has caused more problems than its been worth, even claiming that dual-income families have driven up the cost of living.

What do you think?

The question of "should" seems pretty irrelevant since they do and have every right to do as they please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 06:39 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,326,750 times
Default Agree or disagree: Society would be better off if women stayed out of the workplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
This thread is gonna go south in a hurry. LOL

20yrsinBranson
Agree or disagree: Society would be better off if women strayed out of the workplace

Old 08-08-2010, 06:58 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,155,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
Look at it like this. During the Depression we had at times what 20-25% unemployment? If women had been as much of the workforce as they are today then that would have been closer to 60% since you'd already lost 20% of the jobs, and if women had been working then that's would be fully half the work force without jobs without ever even factoring in the actual folks who were working but lost jobs.

Now look at today we have 9-10% unemployment overall in the US. If you take out half the workforce then you have full emplyment plus millions of jobs going wanting for workers. Those who remain at work thus make a lot more as the workplace becomes a definite seller's market instead of the buyer's market it is now and has been for a while.

I'll note here those percentages may be off a bit as I've never set down to work it out on paper.

This isn't intended to be anti-women in the workforce. They just happen to provide an easy before and after picture. You could really cut out anyone be they a random assortment of individuals or some easily definable group like women. The bottom line is if fewer people were working in normal times (and those not working were being supported by some other individual and not the government) then the country would have much lower unemployment and hopefully be better off financially.
"""""""This isn't intended to be anti-women in the workforce. They just happen to provide an easy before and after picture. You could really cut out anyone be they a random assortment of individuals or some easily definable group like women"""""......

Or people of color or short people or disabled people or lazy, incompetent men...or ...

Just what great Supreme Ruler would decide who gets to work and who has to depend on the charity of others to exist????

Old 08-08-2010, 07:17 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,956,590 times
I said you weave around toxic people or expose them so that other people can weave around them too or at least so they are well-prepared for drama. That includes toxic, rude, and bossy women. Women who act like rude oppressive idiots are not showing off their intelligence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post

So those "big strong emotionally stable" MEN are blaming women for their actions????

NO, it is NOT women's fault when men do stupid things. It's THEIR fault ....and if they WERE strong and stable and responsible and more intelligent they'd realize that.

Old 08-08-2010, 07:20 AM

Women are equals to men! That is why there are just as many women bullies. They make their nasty facial expressions and bully everyone that looks sensitive and compliant. Fun women!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna7 View Post
The American Taliban (Christian fundamentalists) would like to have us believe that. In all truth, many women (and mothers) would LOVE to stay home with the children (and even those who don't have children) if finances afforded. Heck, there are some men that wouldn't mind to stay home with the kids while there wives worked. "It's about the money stupid" (as the saying goes).

The truth of the matter is that the extreme right-wing Republicans/extreme Christian fundamentalists would like us to believe in the glory of yesteryear when "women didn't work." Women have always worked, and have worked years, often for no money, that's all. They have done back-breaking labor inside and outside the house, given birth, tended to the children, their husbands, and everyone else. The Leave-it-to-Beaver image is an illusion that never was. My husband's grandma was a widow of 13 children; my grandma was a widow of 9. Both worked extremely hard inside and outside the home in order to provide for the kids. These were in the days BEFORE the social programs we have available today. Look at Rosie the Riveter poster from the WWII days; there were plenty of women working, there still are. Women have always worked; the women that HAD to work have always worked, the ones that HAVE to work are still working today. Absolutely NOTHING has changed except that there are a few more laws in place that protect ALL workers (not just women workers).

I'm from the NE OH area; an area that had a lot of immigrants living there after WWII. Many worked at various factories around here when jobs were plentiful. BOTH the husband and wife worked; these were people from the "old country" - people that had no idea what "women's liberation" or "feminists" were. In fact, I am positive that they could care less even if they did know (but I know they didn't because they didn't waste their time on talking about stupid things, they just went out and did it). Both husband and wife worked because they came here to make a better life for themselves and their families. These are the types that were able to buy a small house IN CASH for their son or daughter when they got married, or pay for their son or daughter's college education in cash (even though they didn't have a college degree themselves). These people worked their fingers to the bone because they wanted a better life in America than they had from where they came from. People still want the same.

What in the world is wrong with people today that they are so easily manipulated with lies and half-truths? Are they totally that dumb, ignorant, and naive as to believe the garbage/lies that are being spewed forth from comedian con artists or greedy, "hold out their hands for your tithes" religious gurus? Seriously.

So, when I hear the argument of women working as something new or something that is attributed to "women's lib", I just think to myself how contrived this whole argument about women working is. Women have ALWAYS worked; this is nothing new.

Old 08-08-2010, 08:14 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,753,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCincorrect View Post
I'm impartial.
I feel women in some work places are downright dangerous. Yet I feel women in other work places are necessary.[/SIZE]
Women on a construction site, no place. This is probably the only place that I really see a problem.[/SIZE]
I would say that depends on the job at that construction site, as well as the particular person being considered for the jobs. I know a few women who would be much better at swinging a hammer or lifting a beam than some men I know.

Old 08-08-2010, 08:18 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,326,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
I said you weave around toxic people or expose them so that other people can weave around them too or at least so they are well-prepared for drama. That includes toxic, rude, and bossy women. Women who act like rude oppressive idiots are not showing off their intelligence.

Defensiveness tends to make a person more idiotic than the perceived incompetence against which one is constantly defending.

I run into this problem more at Government facilities where the job position is more a contrived merit than an actual.

"Merit" in a Government position is evaluated on one's ability to manipulate, in a world of favors, and which is little more than a sublimated abstraction of the crass and crude elements of bribery, extortion and blackmail.

This is known as "western civilization". Less developed (less rich) countries are crass and crude.

Old 08-08-2010, 08:21 AM

I would say merit is determined by how well you can manipulate and emotionally blackmail people in certain jobs. Women are great at doing that with their looks of disgust, snickering, and bickering. I'm glad I don't experience that anymore. But I've seen it before. It's weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Defensiveness tends to make a person more idiotic than the perceived incompetence against which one is constantly defending.

I run into this problem more at Government facilities where the job position is more a contrived merit than an actual.

"Merit" in a Government position is evaluated on one's ability to manipulate, in a world of favors, and which is little more than a sublimated abstraction of the crass and crude elements of bribery, extortion and blackmail.

This is known as "western civilization". Less developed (less rich) countries are crass and crude.

Old 08-08-2010, 08:33 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,155,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
So MEN who act like rude oppressive idiots are....what?

Sounds like your experiences have been extremely limited and focused.

Posted that 3 times so that maybe IT could be addressed ....

Old 08-08-2010, 08:36 AM

What is your point? Men and women can be rude and oppressive. However, women are quicker to cry and point the finger instead of taking responsibility if they started the fight first. I've seen it happen again and again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post

Sounds like your experiences have been extremely limited and focused.

Posted that 3 times so that maybe IT could be addressed ....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies