Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Agree or disagree: Society would be better off if women stayed out of the workplace
Strongly agree 34 12.93%
Mostly agree 22 8.37%
Neither agree nor disagree 19 7.22%
Mostly disagree 19 7.22%
Strongly disagree 169 64.26%
Voters: 263. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 09:18 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,957,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
I can't even believe this is a serious question.

I can understand the idea of having one of the parents take care of the children and the other working, but I think that's something that can be switched off. My wife and I have already agreed that there will be times when she is the primary breadwinner and times when I'm the primary breadwinner, but that neither of us would be completely set in one role. I don't see why the care-taking role needs to be aligned with one gender or one person in the relationship.
I guess I don't look at the question that way. I see the question posed simply because traditionally is was once such a way and asking the question if the path had went another way (women continued the role they once had), would things be better or worse?

I am not sure if the OP meant it as such, but when I look at it that way, I don't see the emotional or discriminatory push of the question that maybe you are seeing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 01:31 PM

229 posts, read 416,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
I can't even believe this is a serious question.

I can understand the idea of having one of the parents take care of the children and the other working, but I think that's something that can be switched off. My wife and I have already agreed that there will be times when she is the primary breadwinner and times when I'm the primary breadwinner, but that neither of us would be completely set in one role. I don't see why the care-taking role needs to be aligned with one gender or one person in the relationship.
You are WISE! My Husband works, while I stay home with the children. I have supported the family while he was out of work during the worst part of the recession. We do what we have to do, whether we are women or men. We work together when we can, not against each other. Respecting the opposite sex is important. We do not need to be stuck into roles just because we are a certain sex. Women can make just as good of leaders as men. It all depends on the person. Some People are good at being leaders others are not. It is not a Superior Quality. It is one of many good Qualities. Anyone who says that women can not be good leaders are to be feared. (Prejudice. Sexist. Ignorant. Ugly. )

Old 08-06-2010, 02:01 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,957,213 times
While I disagree with you on many points OP, what you are seeing in this thread is the ignorant and emotional responding. Never discuss a topic that might provoke the small minded with emotion. Some groups are meant to be sheep, meant to be led around by their little emotional minds. No wonder the kings of old treated peasants like cattle. It is easy to come to the position that some people can't think, they can only "feel", act with "instinct" just like a scared animal.

People are sheep, watch them run for the feed.

Old 08-06-2010, 02:04 PM

3,448 posts, read 3,134,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickinit View Post
You are WISE! My Husband works, while I stay home with the children. I have supported the family while he was out of work during the worst part of the recession. We do what we have to do, whether we are women or men. We work together when we can, not against each other. Respecting the opposite sex is important. We do not need to be stuck into roles just because we are a certain sex. Women can make just as good of leaders as men. It all depends on the person. Some People are good at being leaders others are not. It is not a Superior Quality. It is one of many good Qualities. Anyone who says that women can not be good leaders are to be feared. (Prejudice. Sexist. Ignorant. Ugly. )
First part of post really makes alot of good sense. You could be a woman who would be a good leader.
But come to think of it I'm not so sure........why....?
Because you jump to hastey conclusions, "accussing ", and as a matter of fact .... your summary digress's into emotional slanting....
Therefore your post is quite welcome in adding more substance to the obvious.....

WOMAN MAKE CRUMBY LEADERS

Hey....maybe in time all the women will have all the jobs and the men will just call all the shots from a command central, maybe thats what we almost have know!!! Most key positions are known to be held by ....

CLEAR THINKING MEN

Old 08-06-2010, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazzer View Post
First part of post really makes alot of good sense. You could be a woman who would be a good leader.
Because you jump to hastey conclusions, "accussing ", and as a matter of fact .... your summary digress's into emotional slanting....
Therefore your post is quite welcome in adding more substance to the obvious.....

Hey....maybe in time all the women will have all the jobs and the men will just call all the shots from a command central, maybe thats what we almost have know!!! Most key positions are known to be held by ....

CLEAR THINKING MEN
I doubt many woman respect you. But seems you'd rather have control then Respect. It is never ok to Categorize based on sex, race, etc.
More people polled do believe as I do. Woman should have a right to work.
I believe in Freedom for all. Good Leaders do not have your attitude, Sir.

Old 08-06-2010, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
While I disagree with you on many points OP, what you are seeing in this thread is the ignorant and emotional responding. Never discuss a topic that might provoke the small minded with emotion. Some groups are meant to be sheep, meant to be led around by their little emotional minds. No wonder the kings of old treated peasants like cattle. It is easy to come to the position that some people can't think, they can only "feel", act with "instinct" just like a scared animal.

People are sheep, watch them run for the feed.
No One is Meant to be Sheep. You are wrong.

Old 08-06-2010, 02:54 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,638,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
If you look in the relationships forum, you'll see topics about women refusing to date male nurses, because they don't think it's manly.. So men in these sort of professions can and sometimes does have consequences for them.
And I'm a woman in a man's career.

You unwad your panties/boxers/whatever and get the job done and quit obsessing about what other people think about you.

I've been told I was 'undateable' because I know more about cars and planes than most men out there...and that they would be intimidated. It rang true for the most part, but I found a good man who isn't freaked out about a girl who can fix his car.

Old 08-06-2010, 03:08 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,638,087 times
Quote:

CLEAR THINKING MEN
I disagree. I know many strong women who make excellent leaders. Unfortunately, there's a bit of a double standard between men and women leaders... when a man is aggressive he's seen as 'strong' and 'gets the job done', but when a women does the same, she's called a b*tch, naggy etc.

I think that may be a reason that women are seen as 'poor' leaders.

Old 08-06-2010, 03:19 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,158,177 times
Quote:

CLEAR THINKING MEN
""""Most key positions are known to be held by ....

CLEAR THINKING MEN"""

ROTFLMAO!!!!

Ya, that's why the world and especially this country are in such great shape!!! LOL!!!

And, if only those "clear thinking men" could keep their pecker in their pants we wouldn't see all the sex scandals associated with
"clear thinking men " in power....

Old 08-06-2010, 03:20 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,916,818 times
As long as ideas from the fifties are being recycled, why not say they should bring back the 57 chevy, or even the Edsel?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies