Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Agree or disagree: Society would be better off if women stayed out of the workplace
Strongly agree 34 12.93%
Mostly agree 22 8.37%
Neither agree nor disagree 19 7.22%
Mostly disagree 19 7.22%
Strongly disagree 169 64.26%
Voters: 263. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 11:05 PM

3,448 posts, read 3,133,725 times

Advertisements

Originally Posted by Who?Me?!
In the 60's and 70's CEOs and other top execs made 30 to 40% more than the average American....NOW it's 400-600%...is that REALLY the fault of women???....

Stargazzer says

Add to it all pro athletes (Tiger Woods Billion) , huge tax exempt incomes, movie stars.....is there any end ?

A road map to disaster.

If , all the Ladies were to not work, or something similar, with above talent in grabbing resource, where do you think the cash on hand will go?

Wealth "disappears" in a get as much as you can society.

Women to stay home is a ridiculous idea, and it simply will not help.

Last edited by stargazzer; 08-08-2010 at 11:11 PM.. Reason: Copy error
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 06:21 AM

1,309 posts, read 1,362,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
I would say that depends on the job at that construction site, as well as the particular person being considered for the jobs. I know a few women who would be much better at swinging a hammer or lifting a beam than some men I know.
yeah, I can agree with that.
I have seen on construction sites where a woman will distract men and slow production. Is it there fault, of course not but asking a group of construction guys to "stop checking out that "broad" (for the use of construction lingo) and get back to work" will go over as well as mud on a wedding dress! By no means do I insinuate that a woman cannot handle the job.

Old 08-09-2010, 07:37 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCincorrect View Post
I have seen on construction sites where a woman will distract men and slow production. Is it there fault, of course not but asking a group of construction guys to "stop checking out that "broad" (for the use of construction lingo) and get back to work" will go over as well as mud on a wedding dress! By no means do I insinuate that a woman cannot handle the job.
That's the men's problem, not the woman's. And they should seriously grow the f up.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:53 AM

15,096 posts, read 8,639,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Yes, all the bad things in the world are the fault of women...your religious leaders have brainwashed you all really well....you have your whipping boy ...and it's a girl.

How lazy to pick a group to blame and hate and have at it.....especially in this country..., America, land of freedom, liberty, opportunity...for WHO?

Just those YOU women hating whiners CHOOSE ??!!!!

Do only males get those benefits? OK, fine, as long as women do NOT get EQUAL RIGHTS then they shouldn't have to pay any taxes !!!!!

Maybe these whiney women haters should take responsibility for their own actions and problems and quit blaming others....or is that too intellectually exhausting for you????
This response seems to be a very angry and aggressive overreaction to the conversation, and reminds me of a couple of issues I neglected to mention in my earlier "essay" on this subject.

Aside from being a useful means to double the labor force, and all of the associated negative economic and societal consequences born from that, I neglected to mention one of the most undesirable and damaging elements of the "feminist" movement ... the overt "attack" on the man-woman relationship, which seems to be one of the more insidious though appealing elements to the hardcore, man hating lesbian community. That's right ... there was, and continues to be a substantial lesbian influence that has driven and dominated the "women's liberation" movement from the very outset. And, as it's name would clearly imply, if a women is in need of being liberated ... they must be enslaved or imprisoned to begin with, and the logical association would infer that it must be men that enslaves them.

And I contend that almost any argument can be supported by pieces of evidence if one is determined to prove a point .. and I'm sure that there are few women who couldn't find some event in the lives which indicated that they were wronged or mistreated by a man. But if one is determined to assign gender as the major factor or motive .... such is a mathematical flip of the coin, as there are only two possible gender choices.

But an honest assessment of the man-woman relationship could find far more evidence to support the fact that men have loved and cared for women since time immemorial, and that for the well adjusted male, women have always held a unique status, and just about everything a man does ... be it fame, fortune or acts of good will are motivated by the desire for a woman's affection and admiration.

From the early caveman, who would go out and risk his life fighting off predators and return to the cave with food, the protection of the female and children was his first priority.

For all of the man hating feminists out there .. I leave you with an humorous axiom:

A gentleman was approaching the entrance to an office building at the same moment a women appeared ... the gentleman reached out and opened the door for her. The woman (a hard core feminist) admonished him "How dare you patronize me like that ... I don't need you to open any doors for me, as I'm perfectly capable myself". The man, rather taken aback, said "Mam, I was just being polite" to which the woman replied "No, you were being patronizing because you only opened the door for me because I am a lady". To which the man then replied: "No mam, I didn't open the door for you because YOU are a lady ... I opened the door for you because I am a gentleman".

Some of you may not get the punchline here ... but if you think hard, it might come to you.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:35 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,875,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Some argue that the women's movement has caused more problems than its been worth, even claiming that dual-income families have driven up the cost of living.

What do you think?
I think the cost of living has forced more families to be dual income. The rugrats have a better chance in the world if one parent stays at home to supervise and raise them.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:35 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,021,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post

To which the man then replied: "No mam, I didn't open the door for you because YOU are a lady ... I opened the door for you because I am a gentleman".

Some of you may not get the punchline here ... but if you think hard, it might come to you.
We are not brain dead - got the joke ha ha

Funny you should bring your story up. Just the other night we went out to eat. Upon leaving the restaurant I noticed
a couple walking to their Silverado. He was a tall slender man, and she was quite large in size. He gentlemanly opened the door and let his girlfriend/wife in to the passenger side and shut her door. I said to the party I was with, "That's nice to see". Then the gentleman proceeded to sit outside the car and have a cigarette. After about 5 minutes, he got into the driver's side, started up the truck, and drove off. I turned and said "I don't know if he is a gentleman, or if he was trying to kill her. It was 97 degrees outside

Last edited by pollyrobin; 08-09-2010 at 09:58 AM..

Old 08-09-2010, 09:53 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,753,645 times
Quote:
Oh, hell! That happens if a woman should happen to walk past a construction site! Should women be prohibited from walking in an area where there is construction going on? NO! People on any job site need to learn to concentrate on the JOB!

Old 08-09-2010, 10:22 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,635,477 times
Quote:
I had a manager tell me that when I worked at an oil change/smog place during college. He told me he would have to put me as a cashier because I was simply 'too distracting' to the male coworkers outside.

Less than a year later I was managing that place.

If you want to focus on my boobs instead of the job at hand, that's fine...more time for me to hone my skills and get promoted/raises.

Old 08-09-2010, 10:57 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
The above post (GuyNTexas) is ridiculous on several levels.

First of all, any relationship is smoother if someone gets to tell someone else what to do and the other just does it because they have no choice. Yes, that man-woman relationship of old sure was smooth sailing. Just shut the hell up and do as I say. Not much to argue about there.

Second of all, your assertion that lesbians are 'man hating' is ridiculous. Some might hate men, but most do not. If you stereotype women like you do lesbians, then you know nothing about either group of people.

Women don't need to be cared for or taken care of by men. They want to be loved and honored and respected as equals. Not thought of as trophies or pets. If you don't realize how patronizing your statements are, GuyNTexas, you might be the one who needs to think hard.

I can do just about anything as well as or better than a guy. In fact, I'm a better driver, I make more money, I can fix more things, I'm better educated, I can speak more languages, I'm more well-traveled, and I'm smarter than 99% of men in this country. To say I should shut up, give up my six figure salary, and sit at home so some guy like you can have his ego stroked again like 'the good old days' is beyond ludicrous.

Old 08-09-2010, 11:02 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,071,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
there's a new LAW that says women MUST be married !???
What about men? The exact same thing can be said for us.

The cost of living has gone up? So in order to live in a nice house I have to be married? WTF? What if I don't get married and have a dual income?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies