Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2009, 02:27 PM

12 posts, read 8,043 times

Advertisements

The truth about the Confederate Battle Flag is this. In 1865 many Southerners who had been Pro Lincoln and Pro Union looked at the flag as a symbol of oppression. Their children however would be taught southern values in southern schools and within a generation the unionists would fade into history.

During Reconstruction especially in States such as Kentucky which had seceded but had been conquered early on southern identity started to cement into one identity. Reconstruction resulted in even unionist southerners becoming "redeemed rebels". By the time Birth of a Nation came to the screen in 1915 the identity of the South as the 13 states of Dixie (AL, ARK, FL, GA, KY, LA, Miss, MO, NC, SC, TN,TX, VA) along with West Virginia and Oklahoma had been relatively cemented as one bloc of states with similar settlement patterns (ie Scotch Irish, Irish, Welsh, and English), Fundamentalist Chrisitianity, politics, and Roots Music (Country, Bluegrass/oldtime, Blues, and Gospel). Similar food was also shared.

The Confederate battle flag was seen as a unifying symbol of a nation within a nation. Its roots were in the flag of Saint Andrew in Scotland which was the birthplace of the roughneck branch of Southern Culture that gives the South its "flavor".

I say the Dixie Flag has it's place. I have heard good' ol boys say this rhyme TWO BARS 13 STARS AND THE SOUTH IS OURS.

The KKK has a right to use the flag just as any political group does the American flag. We can disapprove of them but realize this. It is a freedom of speech issue and we have the right not to listen. If Americans followed this just ignoring people instead of turning everything into some 1960s hippy antiwar protest wed be better off.

To you Marylanders: Yes I know I didn't include you on the list but don't feel left out. Maryland while not having as much of the unifying characteristics of the continuous South (above states) ie Scotch Irish, Country Music, etc, and being dominated by Roman Catholics and Immigrants does have the familial bonds with the old Virginia Aristocracy in the original families and most of the good old families fought for the Confederacy. I say it like this. If you feel you are then you are if you feel you are not then you are not. Up to you.

Old 12-05-2009, 02:41 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,010,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamWallace1305 View Post
The truth about the Confederate Battle Flag is this. In 1865 many Southerners who had been Pro Lincoln and Pro Union looked at the flag as a symbol of oppression. Their children however would be taught southern values in southern schools and within a generation the unionists would fade into history.

During Reconstruction especially in States such as Kentucky which had seceded but had been conquered early on southern identity started to cement into one identity. Reconstruction resulted in even unionist southerners becoming "redeemed rebels". By the time Birth of a Nation came to the screen in 1915 the identity of the South as the 13 states of Dixie (AL, ARK, FL, GA, KY, LA, Miss, MO, NC, SC, TN,TX, VA) along with West Virginia and Oklahoma had been relatively cemented as one bloc of states with similar settlement patterns (ie Scotch Irish, Irish, Welsh, and English), Fundamentalist Chrisitianity, politics, and Roots Music (Country, Bluegrass/oldtime, Blues, and Gospel). Similar food was also shared.

The Confederate battle flag was seen as a unifying symbol of a nation within a nation. Its roots were in the flag of Saint Andrew in Scotland which was the birthplace of the roughneck branch of Southern Culture that gives the South its "flavor".

I say the Dixie Flag has it's place. I have heard good' ol boys say this rhyme TWO BARS 13 STARS AND THE SOUTH IS OURS.

The KKK has a right to use the flag just as any political group does the American flag. We can disapprove of them but realize this. It is a freedom of speech issue and we have the right not to listen. If Americans followed this just ignoring people instead of turning everything into some 1960s hippy antiwar protest wed be better off.

To you Marylanders: Yes I know I didn't include you on the list but don't feel left out. Maryland while not having as much of the unifying characteristics of the continuous South (above states) ie Scotch Irish, Country Music, etc, and being dominated by Roman Catholics and Immigrants does have the familial bonds with the old Virginia Aristocracy in the original families and most of the good old families fought for the Confederacy. I say it like this. If you feel you are then you are if you feel you are not then you are not. Up to you.
Well said!

Old 12-05-2009, 02:44 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,391,849 times
Good point. Roman Catholics were also attacked by confederate thugs & another reason why America abhors the confederate flag just like the swastika. It has no place in our nation & those who fly it are anti-America.

Old 12-05-2009, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Good point. Roman Catholics were also attacked by confederate thugs & another reason why America abhors the confederate flag just like the swastika. It has no place in our nation & those who fly it are anti-America.
Ok, can you provide proof of Catholics being attacked by "Confederate Thugs". And if America abhors that flag so much it wouldn't have been on the Dukes of Hazzard or anything.

And no it is not like the swastika because it does have a universal meaning, being that of Nazi Germany and it's dreams of remaking the world in their own image.

Old 12-05-2009, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
No, it just doesn't change your perception of it. There is a difference, and amazing to me that those who have such negative feelings about the Confederate Flag assume their own feelings are those of everyone else. Or should be.

Anyway, I don't know about world opinion, but according to the latest Gallup poll on the subject (which was in 2000) a clear majority of Americans saw the Flag as a symbol of Southern pride, not "racism." Here is the link and an excerpt:

Americans Divided on Southern States Flying Confederate Flag

Apart from their feelings about flying the Confederate flag, only 28% of Americans say that the Confederate flag is a symbol of racism, while 59% of Americans say the flag is more a symbol of Southern pride. This represents a slight decrease in the "Southern pride" position since 1992, when 69% said that this was what the flag represented, as opposed to racism. This pattern is the same for those who have followed the issue closely as it is for Americans overall. Although Republicans are much more likely than Democrats to say the flag is a symbol of Southern pride (by 74% to 16%), even Democrats express this view by a plurality of 48% to 40%.
From post #368.

Old 12-05-2009, 05:24 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,391,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
Ok, can you provide proof of Catholics being attacked by "Confederate Thugs". And if America abhors that flag so much it wouldn't have been on the Dukes of Hazzard or anything.

And no it is not like the swastika because it does have a universal meaning, being that of Nazi Germany and it's dreams of remaking the world in their own image.
You don't seem to understand that the confederate flag equals the KKK and that group has attacked Jews, Catholics, Blacks, Latinos & "Yankees" in general. The confederate flag has no respect and means ignorance and bigotry to Americans. Why do you want to be affiliated with the KKK? Are you a klan member?

Old 12-05-2009, 07:20 PM

Quote:
You don't seem to understand that the confederate flag equals the KKK and that group has attacked Jews, Catholics, Blacks, Latinos & "Yankees" in general. The confederate flag has no respect and means ignorance and bigotry to Americans. Why do you want to be affiliated with the KKK? Are you a klan member?
First off I do realize the Confederate flag is offensive to some (I will say again, it's about perception, IT IS NOT OFFENSIVE TO EVERYBODY!), however I am not going to surrender a flag I like (and what I had family members honorably fight for) be surrendered to a bunch of nimrods in white sheets. And second of all the Klan is not a uniquely southern thing (the klan we know today was a different klan from the one in 1866) it is an American thing, no different than neo-Nazis or La Raza. And thirdly I resent the insinuation of being one.

Old 12-05-2009, 08:04 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,610,755 times
Quote:
You don't seem to understand that the confederate flag equals the KKK and that group has attacked Jews, Catholics, Blacks, Latinos & "Yankees" in general. The confederate flag has no respect and means ignorance and bigotry to Americans. Why do you want to be affiliated with the KKK? Are you a klan member?[/
THAT is a serious thing to bring up. Might as well accuse me of being one. Is that what you are doing? Are you suggesting either of us are cone-heads?

Are you? Better be ready to back it up, if you are, sonny boy. I don't take something like that lightly...

Old 12-05-2009, 08:05 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,186,581 times
Well, I did like the Dukes OF Hazard........

Old 12-05-2009, 08:05 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,414,512 times
Quote:
Not only fixated on revised history but ignorant OF history.
See a professional about that bad case of White Guilt, you'll feel better.
Untill then, this spray should make US feel better...
Attached Thumbnails
Confederate Flag, your take?-anti_troll_spray.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies