Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 10:05 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,700,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but is there anything about the Swiss sending Jews and Muslims to camps? If not, then there's nothing unconstitutional about what they did and we have no provisions in our constitution to force a level of diversity. In short, I disagree there is any link to what the Swiss do and what is unconstitutional here.
What camps?

I said it is THEIR right, because it is their country. However, the US Constitution prohibits the government from creating special laws to harass Jews and/or Muslims. Freedom of religion is in the 1st Amendment (FYI). So, it may be OK in Switzerland, but not OK in US, and that is a Constitutional issue, not a partisan one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 10:08 AM

Quote:
I'm talking about gangbangers, ebonics, introducing spanish into the culture nefariously, magnet schools, and other liberal diversity policies.
The Swizz are not talking about gangbangers. They are talking about regular Jews and Muslims, who want to practise their religions.

Old 12-09-2009, 10:08 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,302,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
What camps?

I said it is THEIR right, because it is their country. However, the US Constitution prohibits the government from creating special laws to harass Jews and/or Muslims. Freedom of religion is in the 1st Amendment (FYI). So, it may be OK in Switzerland, but not OK in US, and that is a Constitutional issue, not a partisan one.
What are the Swiss doing to harass these people and what laws did they pass (I assume they passed laws since you mentioned an analogy of the US doing the same?)

Old 12-09-2009, 10:09 AM

Quote:
The Swizz are not talking about gangbangers. They are talking about regular Jews and Muslims, who want to practise their religions.
What laws are in place in Switzerland that prevents this? I'd gladly concede the argument if you provide a link to a national code that makes it difficult or impossible for a Jew or Muslim to worship freely in Switzerland.

Old 12-09-2009, 10:10 AM

Quote:
What are the Swiss doing to harass these people and what laws did they pass (I assume they passed laws since you mentioned an analogy of the US doing the same?)
No, I never said US is doing the same, I specifically said it would never fly in US. In US you are free to practise your religion whatever that religion may be.

Old 12-09-2009, 10:12 AM

Quote:
No, I never said US is doing the same, I specifically said it would never fly in US. In US you are free to practise your religion whatever that religion may be.
So in Switzerland it is illegal for a Muslim to practice Islam or for a Jew to worship God? Just wanted to make sure I understood correctly.

Old 12-09-2009, 10:36 AM

Quote:
So in Switzerland it is illegal for a Muslim to practice Islam or for a Jew to worship God? Just wanted to make sure I understood correctly.
No, as usual you misunderstood. Show me a post with the word "illegal". Where did you come up with that????

No one said practising religion is outright illegal, but they are creating laws or trying to create laws to make it more difficult. Last week, the Swizz right wing said they wanted to ban Jewish cemeteries. And before that they said they wanted to ban Muslim cemeteries. And before that pushed for a vote on a federal initiative to ban building of minarets. The vote passed. None of that would fly in US because it flies against our constitution.

I think you are only pretending to not understand what people are telling you, because you like to disagree just for the heck of disagreeing.

Old 12-09-2009, 10:38 AM

Quote:
No, as usual you misunderstood. Show me a post with the word "illegal". Where did you come up with that????

No one said practising religion is outright illegal, but they are creating laws or trying to create laws to make it more difficult. Last week, the Swizz right wing said they wanted to ban Jewish cemeteries. And before that they said they wanted to ban Muslim cemeteries. And before that pushed for a vote on a federal initiative to ban building of minarets. The vote passed. None of that would fly in US because it flies against our constitution.

I think you are only pretending to not understand what people are telling you, because you like to disagree just for the heck of disagreeing.
I didn't know that an ethnicity/religious group can run a business that prohibits customers of another religious group from purchasing goods & services? If I'm not mistaken, that by definition is what a "Jewish" cemetary or "Muslim" cemetery is doing...discriminating against other religions. That would never fly in the United States.

This is still consistent with rational immigration policy. You cannot set up cemeteries that discriminate against the general Swiss population.

Old 12-09-2009, 10:45 AM

4,173 posts, read 6,692,442 times
Quote:

You will love this segment in Daily Show....
Incentives Matter: Jon Stewart on Minarets and Swiss Neutrality

Old 12-09-2009, 10:50 AM

Quote:
That would never fly in the United States.

This is still consistent with rational immigration policy. You cannot set up cemeteries that discriminate against the general Swiss population.
We have plenty of Jewish cemataries in US. We also have churches, temples, synagoges and mosques for different religions, and it's all possible because of the 1st amendment.

It gets tiresome to talk to someone who disagrees just for the same of disagreeing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies