Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 06:21 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,226,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC~Mom View Post
Then everyone's opinion is worthless....why are you posting..ARE YOU THE MOTHER?
I post to defend the right of the child and mother to do something which is not a school violation. You post to attack the mother
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2009, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Well, I'm no atheist and I certainly don't hate religion, but I still think the Bible - unguided - is not appropriate for an 8 year old. Think of all the violence, rapes, underage sex, murders, wars, and vengeful acts of God. It's really an intense book.

Approved or not by parents, the teacher is in charge during those hours.
The teacher is in charge of a classroom based on district policy. District policy is what gives her the ability to be in charge. A class room is not a country ruled by the laws of the teacher. The classroom power of being in charged is based on district policy. The child did not violate district policy therefore could not violate a teacher rule. A teacher can not make a rule that violates distract policy. If that were the case we would have anarchy .
Your distaste for the book means you are free to keep yourself and your children from reading it. You do not get to make district policy or the rules this parent wanted for her child

Old 12-18-2009, 08:14 AM

4,049 posts, read 5,033,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
And you think they will understand the language in it well enough to go to those parts? Question, did you understand it at that age? I know I certainly did not. I accepted Christ as my Savior at the age of 9. The reason, I wanted to be with my grandpa who had just past away, when I died. That is what I told my mother when she ask why I thought I needed to be saved. That is all I knew, that is all I understood.

I was raised in the church, learned Bible verses for Sunday School (which just maybe what that child was doing) and guess who has taught me about all the wars rape and murder stories of the Bible. The people of c-d. That post on the story in Genesis, I had to go look that up.

That's all people want to do any more---find the wrong in anything made good.

I didn't raise my children in the church. I did not teach to them about the importance of reading the Bible and learning it. And that Bluefly is a horrible regret of mine that I will carry with me to my grave and most likely beyond.
Um... You grew up religious but never really read the bible, and had to have the people of C-D tell you about what was really in your 'holy book', and, only then, did you find out about all the horror in the bible?

You complain that people showed this to you; are you saying you wish you could still be happy in ignorance? You then immediately tell us that you regret not having your kids find out about these things as they grew up... I'm confused.

Old 12-18-2009, 08:56 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,064,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
Um... You grew up religious but never really read the bible, and had to have the people of C-D tell you about what was really in your 'holy book', and, only then, did you find out about all the horror in the bible?
I remember being that child's age and reading some of those horror tales in our religion classes but I grew up Catholic in another country. I guess it's different for Protestants. We were never told though to walk around with a Bible like some Protestant churches do. In fact you were warned by the common folks not to read the bible from beginning to end because you would go crazy

About the kid, she was probably reading a regular bible if the teacher had an issue with that. What the teacher did was against the rules, but I can see where she was coming from. Sometimes you have to "live and let die" I wouldn't worry to much about a kid reading that stuff though by themselves, chances are the kid is not reading those particular passages, just the ones the parents tell them to read, and even if she did she would not understand them.

Old 12-18-2009, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
I remember being that child's age and reading some of those horror tales but I grew up Catholic in another country. I guess it's different for Protestants. We were never told though to walk around with a Bible like some Protestant churches do. In fact you were warned by the common folks not to read the bible from beginning to end because you would go crazy

About the kid, if she was reading a regular bible(and she probably was if the teacher had an issue with that) most likely she had no idea what she was reading in the first place. What the teacher did was against the rules, but I can see where she was coming from. Sometimes you have to "live and let die"
The teacher tried to enforce her own moral standard in a situation where she should not have.
Catholic nuns told me i woud grow hair on my palms if i did certain things. Despite al my effort to do so i never grew hair on my palms

Old 12-18-2009, 09:11 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,064,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
The teacher tried to enforce her own moral standard in a situation where she should not have.
Catholic nuns told me i woud grow hair on my palms if i did certain things. Despite al my effort to do so i never grew hair on my palms
Let's be clear, it was not the nuns who taught us so, it was the common folks, more like superstition tales. The nuns and priest never told us to read the bible in our free time either, so nobody did unless they wanted to join the clergy. Let's not bash catholics here.

Old 12-18-2009, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
Let's be clear, it was not the nuns who taught us so, it was the common folks, more like superstition tales. The nuns and priest never told us to read the bible in our free time either, so nobody did unless they wanted to join the clergy. Let's not bash catholics here.
Did not bash Catholics juts told you what they said to me.

Old 12-18-2009, 10:58 AM

2,203 posts, read 5,086,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
Guess you just aren't meeting the right children, then. I've known children who would walk right past an entire library section of children's books and pick up a Bible to read. I myself, though not quite as young as this girl, chose to read the Bible of my own volition at the age of 9.
There you have it then....the "right" children must only live in your area.
I was a child once too....and all I ever saw were parents who would force their children to read or write Bible verses as punishment....I'm sure the kids understood EVERY word.

Old 12-18-2009, 12:11 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,598,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post

You complain that people showed this to you; are you saying you wish you could still be happy in ignorance? You then immediately tell us that you regret not having your kids find out about these things as they grew up... I'm confused.
I didn't grow up religious. That's a social word not used by me, but only others in society who lack spiritual understanding so they can stay on the same page with their rants. I grew up going to church where they teach about the books of the Bible. I was born in 61, let that be clear as well. Because the difference between now and then is religion.

There is no horror in the Bible as far as I can see or any one else would see if they took the time to learn. The only horror is people's perception so as to deter others from the knowledge that the Bible teaches us. That is societies mission today in the use of the word religion.

The political scandal that surrounds the death of Christ still exists today within our world governments and its people.

So let me be clear. People of society are mean. For that I am not ignorant. They only wish to deceive others and point to the horror of learning about Christs teachings, so that they them selves will seem to be nice. The power of their deception is to keep, to pressure others not to seek their spiritual salvation through Christ, but to believe in them instead.

A few of the prophecies of Revelation is that the price of bread will equal to that of a man's wage and that society as a whole will have turned their backs on Christ. It is then we should look to the East for Christ to return so as to take those who have had the power within to maintain good principles in Christ so as they can obtain their just reward.

I did not have my children learn of this. It is up to the power of the Holy Spirit to prevail over my failure as not only a parent, but a child of God. For this failure I am deaply and forever, sorry. As sorry does not even begin to depict how I feel.

Look around you at the horror in this world today. Does it not make you want to stay indoors, never to walk among the people? But yet the horrors do not stop people from participation in society now does it.

People have not changed since the day of the spiritual guidance that brought to us the Bible. We have but only gone from bad to worse as those who of the Holy Spirit wrote we would. I can certainly understand why no one would want our children to learn this and know of it. Just a wee bit embarrassing wouldn't you say.

I may be in this world. But I am not of this world.

Old 12-18-2009, 11:51 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,487,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Why should the teacher be "disciplined"? That is so stupid. There are laws that state that religion is to be kept out of schools.
Which "laws" would those be?

And if you say "separation of church from state"...you've got a little research to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies