Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 03:54 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Do you happen to know if the Koran is similarly trippy?
I have read the Qur'an. Not to different from the bible, most religious writings seem to follow the same basic format. Same way with the gnostic gospels, and Hebrew bible. You want to read some really trippy stuff, read some Buddhist sutras, out there stuff.

I find the funny thing about all of the religious texts of the world, none of them were written by the actual leaders themselves. The Qur'an was never written down by Muhammad, it was written down by "followers" later, as they remembered his teachings. Same way with Christ, thats why the Gospels seem to all tell different stories. And God never wrote the Torah, that was done by Aaron, and other scholars of the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 04:02 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
Heh...people that want to ban books--like Huckleberry Finn or The Catcher in the Rye--should take a good look at the Bible sometime, and look at the topics discussed within. Primarily the sex and violence, but also things like slavery.

Maybe the the Bible was really beyond her ken, and more appropriate for an adult to read and understand.

Old 12-16-2009, 04:59 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,800,800 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0pRNwwRrw4

Old 12-16-2009, 05:32 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,588,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
She was his son's widow.

[SIZE=-1]38:26[/SIZE]And Judah acknowledged them, and said, She hath been more righteous than I; because that I gave her not to Shelah my son. And he knew her again no more.

If we know from were we came and we can see our present, then our future is but for us to behold.

Old 12-16-2009, 05:37 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,461,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Bet she wouldn't have had a problem if it had been the Communist Manifesto.

So dumb.

Old 12-16-2009, 05:38 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,588,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpenny View Post
The bible does not have a place in school. They can read who killed who and is screwing whos wife and which daughter of lot is tossoing lots salad on their own time.
Now that gave to me a chuckle.

Old 12-16-2009, 05:39 PM

52 posts, read 24,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpenny View Post
They can read who killed who and is screwing whos wife and which daughter of lot is tossoing lots salad on their own time.
Who are you kidding. Leave this stuff up to Jennings our favorite pedophilia czar and this stuff is on the agenda for our pre-schoolers.

Old 12-16-2009, 05:40 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,424,163 times
The righties have learned well from their masters. Everything is partisan. If it isn't, they will find a way to spin it to make it appear so. The "bad guys" are always cast as the liberals, the "victims" are always the conservatives. Fox News has taught them well. And like sheep, they follow their leader.

Old 12-16-2009, 05:48 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,461,350 times
It is a rather violent and sexual book when you think about it. I'm sure there are other fairy tales that don't involve selling your daughter as a sex slave.

Old 12-16-2009, 05:58 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,884,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
It is a rather violent and sexual book when you think about it. I'm sure there are other fairy tales that don't involve selling your daughter as a sex slave.
And what biblical character was sold as a sex slave, exactly?? And if it's full of sex and violence, shouldn't every liberal love it?

The reason you reduce it to "sex and violence" is because you don't understand it or the lessons it is trying to teach. Violence and sexuality are a part of life, as the authors of the bible well knew. It was also a history of the ancient Hebrews, and their authors did not attempt to hide or whitewash the very real problems of human nature that were part of every day life. Lessons were meant to be learned in the telling of these stories. Think about that the next time you decide to discount it all.

The bible is rich in metaphors, is beautifully written as any educated person will admit, and most of the Western literary canon draws heavily upon its symbolism. That is why my secular friends in college struggled so much with our classical (I should say "pre-modern") literature classes, and why I breezed on through. I was familiar with the stories, the characters, and the deeper symbolism.

As John Gardner, perhaps the greatest and most beloved writing teacher of all time, said, "God is an uneven writer, but when He's good, nobody beats Him."

When you disparage the bible and discount its literary merit, you reveal yourself to be an uneducated fool. Most of the Lit majors I knew were liberal atheists, and I never heard a single one of them make the idiot comments that have been made on this thread here!

Take a lesson from those who know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies