Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 01:25 PM

2,203 posts, read 5,083,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
She is not your child. She did not violate the law or district policy or school rules. What you do with your child is your business and my opinion on your child is as worthless as your opinion is to this mother.

Then everyone's opinion is worthless....why are you posting..ARE YOU THE MOTHER?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 01:33 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,424,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiberalCleanser View Post
does the sand bother your eyes after a while with your head so far beneath it? Come up for air once in a while.
Righties just can't stand it when they are shown to be misrepresenting the facts....

Old 12-17-2009, 01:34 PM

17 posts, read 16,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
Righties just can't stand it when they are shown to be misrepresenting the facts....
There was no misrepresenting what that pedophile pervert Jennings has in mind.

Old 12-17-2009, 04:00 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,645,569 times
Quote:
She is not your child. She did not violate the law or district policy or school rules. What you do with your child is your business and my opinion on your child is as worthless as your opinion is to this mother.
So the kid could read "A Clockwork Orange" or "Playboy" and it wouldn't matter because it's none of the teacher's business what the kid reads, so long as the kid is reading?

Old 12-17-2009, 04:36 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,751,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC~Mom View Post
You know me? Tamer books than that have been banned from school libraries....why allow a child to have access to a book that contains so much sex and violence? I doubt the kid could even read it....., but it shouldn't be on school grounds...they have books there to read yanno?
And why shouldn't it be on school grounds? What books have been 'banned' from school libraries? What book would you recommend over the Bible? And, as I have said before, we don't know if this was a standard Bible or a children's Bible, so how can you so arbitrarily decree that she shouldn't be reading it?

Old 12-17-2009, 04:44 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,751,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC~Mom View Post
Then I know you too! I can state my opinion on the matter, and if the child isn't attending Xtian school....then she should keep her worshipping materials at home. Children may read versions of the Bible, more like cartoony stories about Noah, and Adam and Eve....but I've never met a child who wanted to read the Bible if left to their own decision (kids wouldn't know a thing about religion at all if not for their parents or guardians, they aren't born religious)..who can even understand WTH they're talking about in there?
Guess you just aren't meeting the right children, then. I've known children who would walk right past an entire library section of children's books and pick up a Bible to read. I myself, though not quite as young as this girl, chose to read the Bible of my own volition at the age of 9.

Old 12-17-2009, 08:22 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,593,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
NJ Teacher Tells Girl to Put Away Bible (http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/local_news/new_jersey/091215-nj-teacher-tells-girl-to-put-away-bible - broken link)
NJ teacher tells 3rd grade girl to put away the bible because the bible was not appropriate reading material for quiet time. Bet she wouldn't have had a problem if it had been the Communist Manifesto.
As long as the girl didn't jump up on the desk and call for a revolution of the proletariat (that would've interfered with quiet time!)

Old 12-17-2009, 08:48 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,885,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
Guess you just aren't meeting the right children, then. I've known children who would walk right past an entire library section of children's books and pick up a Bible to read. I myself, though not quite as young as this girl, chose to read the Bible of my own volition at the age of 9.
I did too! My plan was to read the Bible from cover to cover. I have to admit that I didn't get very far! But my older, wiser sister pointed me to the Book of Esther and we read it together and it was such a wonderful story, very engaging, and held my attention. There are many other parts of the Bible that are very accessible for children.

Old 12-17-2009, 08:52 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,702,787 times
Quote:
those of you that hate religion, have shown hate for this little girl who on her own time chose to read the bible. Its perfectly legal for her to do so. The teacher was wrong and the hate i see for a little girl who chose to read the bible sickens me. I thought liberals backed the idea of freedom. Guess they do unless its a little girl on her own time reading a book that is not illegal or violates school policy.

this thread has shown me how the atheists use hate.
Well, I'm no atheist and I certainly don't hate religion, but I still think the Bible - unguided - is not appropriate for an 8 year old. Think of all the violence, rapes, underage sex, murders, wars, and vengeful acts of God. It's really an intense book.

Approved or not by parents, the teacher is in charge during those hours.

Old 12-17-2009, 10:26 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,590,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
You don't begin to understand what that phrase means. It's a profound statement hinting at deep, deep human potential.

Has nothing to do with reading a book written centuries after Jesus walked the earth.

Don't ever judge my relationship with Christ. You seriously do not have a clue about it and are taking a black-and-white stance on this as if I'm trying to bash your spiritual book.

You are also missing my point - there's a lot of great things for young children to read in the Bible, but they need to be directed to them (such as the quote you posted). Left to their own, they could easily stumble on rapes, murders, wars, hatred, etc... It's all in there.
And you think they will understand the language in it well enough to go to those parts? Question, did you understand it at that age? I know I certainly did not. I accepted Christ as my Savior at the age of 9. The reason, I wanted to be with my grandpa who had just past away, when I died. That is what I told my mother when she ask why I thought I needed to be saved. That is all I knew, that is all I understood.

I was raised in the church, learned Bible verses for Sunday School (which just maybe what that child was doing) and guess who has taught me about all the wars rape and murder stories of the Bible. The people of c-d. That post on the story in Genesis, I had to go look that up.

That's all people want to do any more---find the wrong in anything made good.

I didn't raise my children in the church. I did not teach to them about the importance of reading the Bible and learning it. And that Bluefly is a horrible regret of mine that I will carry with me to my grave and most likely beyond.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies