Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 04:49 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,708,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Queen View Post
If her parents are fine with it, who am I to say she can't.

No you ask because you want to trash the bible and religion. Let's not pretend that it is any other reason k?
No, child. I ask because I've actually read the Bible and studied the Bible and would NEVER let that book get in the the hands of a 7 year old without proper guidance.

Let's have an adult conversation without jumping to false conclusions. Now, answer the question or move along.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 04:54 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,708,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
This was the delivery quoted from the Bible @ my grandson's funeral recently. Thought I'd share this most horrible statement with you and all.

18:16 But Jesus called them unto him, and said, Suffer little children to come unto me, and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of God. 18:17 Verily I say unto you, Whosoever shall not receive the kingdom of God as a little child shall in no wise enter therein." (Luke 18:16-17 KJV)

Guess you won't be there for dinner. I won't look for you.
You don't begin to understand what that phrase means. It's a profound statement hinting at deep, deep human potential.

Has nothing to do with reading a book written centuries after Jesus walked the earth.

Don't ever judge my relationship with Christ. You seriously do not have a clue about it and are taking a black-and-white stance on this as if I'm trying to bash your spiritual book.

You are also missing my point - there's a lot of great things for young children to read in the Bible, but they need to be directed to them (such as the quote you posted). Left to their own, they could easily stumble on rapes, murders, wars, hatred, etc... It's all in there.

Old 12-17-2009, 04:58 AM

2,203 posts, read 5,085,781 times
The Bible is way too violent for a 3rd grader to be reading...where is the parental supervision?

Old 12-17-2009, 09:33 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,426,570 times
What third grader can understand the Christian bible? If it were written at a third grade level, why are all those adults taking bible study classes? Or was it a dummy-downed version written specifically for kids?

Old 12-17-2009, 09:38 AM

37,972 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
NJ Teacher Tells Girl to Put Away Bible (http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/local_news/new_jersey/091215-nj-teacher-tells-girl-to-put-away-bible - broken link)
NJ teacher tells 3rd grade girl to put away the bible because the bible was not appropriate reading material for quiet time. Bet she wouldn't have had a problem if it had been the Communist Manifesto.
I heard about this story. I guess the teacher needs to have a good book burning to let the kiddies know what is, and what is not, properly approved government reading material.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:47 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,224,629 times
those of you that hate religion, have shown hate for this little girl who on her own time chose to read the bible. Its perfectly legal for her to do so. The teacher was wrong and the hate i see for a little girl who chose to read the bible sickens me. I thought liberals backed the idea of freedom. Guess they do unless its a little girl on her own time reading a book that is not illegal or violates school policy.

this thread has shown me how the atheists use hate.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC~Mom View Post
The Bible is way too violent for a 3rd grader to be reading...where is the parental supervision?
her mother approved of it, just because you hate religion does not mean all have to. the book did not violate school policy or any law was being read on her own during free time.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:50 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
trust me if she allows it, there will be static. of course if kids start breaking out the koran they will think twice.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Why should the teacher be "disciplined"? That is so stupid. There are laws that state that religion is to be kept out of schools.
there is no law that prohibits a student to read a book on he own time.
the teacher chose to inflict he rm oral vision on this child, the teacher needs to learn tolerance.

the law only prohibits school sponsored religion being taught. This was free time . No law was broken stop being hateful to this Little girl
the teacher was wrong. She should at least be told so

Old 12-17-2009, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
trust me if she allows it, there will be static. of course if kids start breaking out the koran they will think twice.
it was free time. if they want to eliminate free time then thats the schools right. if a kid wanted read the Koran during free time it should be allowed .
No law was broken no school or district policy broken. The attack on the girl was wrong
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies