Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you watching/did you watch the State of the Union?
Yes - I'm left wing 49 44.95%
Yes - I'm right wing 45 41.28%
No - I'm left wing 5 4.59%
No - I'm right wing 10 9.17%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 07:45 AM

3,047 posts, read 2,826,620 times

Advertisements

http://i870.photobucket.com/albums/ab264/Dragging_Canoe/napsleeping.jpg (broken link) Janet catching a few zzzz's, can you blame her....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

10,908 posts, read 9,556,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Well said.

U.S. citizens built a great country long before Obama was around. I know, hard to believe, but the U.S. did very well without Obama. Shock!!

U.S. citizens need a POTUS that will listen and lead, not lecture and lie.

The one thing I find really disturbing about his speeches (any of them) is his use of "my" and "mine".....as in "my Treasury Secretary", "my Congress", etc, etc. Nothing is his. Everything is the peoples. The position of POTUS is about the country and the people....not the man.
He only claims personal possession until something goes wrong (and it always does) and then it is someone else's fault. He is pro at plausible deniability.

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Excellent synopsis of this horrible speech by a desperate obama.

It is clear he will ignore what the voters are telling him and his party. The man-child is so in love with himself that he can't believe people hate his policies and ideas.

A Self-Reverential State of the Union Address -- Politics Daily

It really is amazing as you actually listen to him talking out of both sides of his butt. On the one hand, he continues to blame bush for his failed policies and then in the next sentence he claims he's not interested in "re-litigating the past". Isn't that exactly what you just did, Barry?
\

I am not sure how many actually listened to the whole thing, I think many fell asleep including those in the audiance.

Nita

oh and for Fox Terrier, Reagan, at least was not a boring speaker...Maybe it was because he wasn't so in love with himself. There was a song, many years ago: YOU< YOU< YOU< I'm in love with YOU< YOU< YOU> Pres Obama has re-written it using the same words except in stead of YOU, he uses ME/

Old 01-28-2010, 07:48 AM

11,431 posts, read 19,003,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
That is the polite way of saying "You lie!" but he did lie.

0bama stated that the supreme court ruling opens the flood gates for foreign corporations to spend without limits in our elections, this is not true. Foreign corporations are not entitled to America's free speech rights.
If they have ownership interests in american companies and can easily influence key industries, then why wouldn't they not be entitled to free speech rights under this new ruling?

Old 01-28-2010, 08:06 AM

37,982 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
If they have ownership interests in american companies and can easily influence key industries, then why wouldn't they not be entitled to free speech rights under this new ruling?
I think you mean some of the share holders might be foreigners. 0bama said the law allowed "foreign corporations"

A foreign corporation would be like one owned by the a foreign government like China, and the supreme court did not grant any new rights orf freedoms to foreign corporations.

This is getting off point, but which should be more of a worry to the American people, a corporation which has foreign investor making campaign ads, or our federal government running a $1.4 trillion deficit, where half of the money being used to pay the bills comes from foreign governments?

Old 01-28-2010, 08:15 AM

4,410 posts, read 6,139,161 times
I'm not going through 47 pages so sorry if I'm not addressing anyone else's comments, but I thought the speech was one of the best of any Presidency that I've seen. His comments were often non-partisan and the interjection of both humility and levity was refreshing. I'm not an Obama supporter, but if this is how he genuinely thinks, he won brownie points with me on this one. Of course, one can be easily swayed by rhetoric and I'm sure that somewhere above this post were a hundred other people expressing their perceived paranoia about his speech, his manners, etc. I too may have been swayed, but in the other direction. I don't have any confidence in the way our government (from both sides of the aisle) approaches our economic problems, so his comments on the economy were the weakest for me. But I would rate the speech very highly.

Old 01-28-2010, 08:19 AM

3,047 posts, read 2,826,620 times
http://i870.photobucket.com/albums/ab264/Dragging_Canoe/obama1.jpg (broken link)
http://i870.photobucket.com/albums/ab264/Dragging_Canoe/palplightninganim.gif (broken link)

Old 01-28-2010, 08:25 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,046,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
\

I am not sure how many actually listened to the whole thing, I think many fell asleep including those in the audiance.

Nita
typical Republican response...

Old 01-28-2010, 08:27 AM

4,164 posts, read 6,317,420 times
Obama seems to lack any real depth of feeling or empathy for the problems that are going on in our country today. He says he cares....he pretends to care....but it's plain to see that it is all an "act." Well...I see this now but I was blinded by his spell and fancy words during the election. He Is definitely a master manipulator. WEIRD how so many people are willing to give him another chance based on seventy minutes worth of words and exaggerated promises....Why did he wait so long to care about jobs?

Old 01-28-2010, 08:35 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
I think you mean some of the share holders might be foreigners. 0bama said the law allowed "foreign corporations"

A foreign corporation would be like one owned by the a foreign government like China, and the supreme court did not grant any new rights orf freedoms to foreign corporations.
Yes, it is completely besides the point, but a foreign corporation is a foreign corporation, and does not need to be owned by a foreign government. Toyota is a an example of a foreign corporation, and IBM is a US corporation with millions of foreign owners.

Why did the mods merge threads with real discussion with threats which are just partisan rants?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies