Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you watching/did you watch the State of the Union?
Yes - I'm left wing 49 44.95%
Yes - I'm right wing 45 41.28%
No - I'm left wing 5 4.59%
No - I'm right wing 10 9.17%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 07:02 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,288,764 times

Advertisements

I agree 110%. TV was off the entire evening. There's a reason they call it "programming".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 07:06 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,961,908 times
Default Analysis of SOTU; Vindictive, Petty, Partisan, Self-Referential

Excellent synopsis of this horrible speech by a desperate obama.

It is clear he will ignore what the voters are telling him and his party. The man-child is so in love with himself that he can't believe people hate his policies and ideas.

A Self-Reverential State of the Union Address -- Politics Daily

Quote:
President Obama's State of the Union address should unnerve Democrats in Congress and throughout the country.

The speech was defensive and petulant, backward-looking and condescending, petty and graceless. What was on display last night was a man of unsurpassed self-righteousness engaged in constant self-justification. His first year in office has been, by almost every measure, a failure – and it is perceived as a failure by much of the public.
It really is amazing as you actually listen to him talking out of both sides of his butt. On the one hand, he continues to blame bush for his failed policies and then in the next sentence he claims he's not interested in "re-litigating the past". Isn't that exactly what you just did, Barry?

Old 01-28-2010, 07:08 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
I was on too late in the evening.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:08 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,961,908 times
More:

The state of the union - Clive Crook

Quote:
It is as though losing political support and an election or three is not a judgment on the administration's performance: it is an accident, an injustice even, akin to somebody losing his job. But Obama will carry on, just as America's people will carry on, because he is righteously determined to ignore the voters' opinion.
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/pos...d=opinionsbox1

Quote:
I gave up hoping that it might eventually build toward something remotely interesting. (For much of the speech Obama sounded like a commerce secretary at a professional conference on a particularly uninspired day.) Obama’s problem is not primarily political -- though he seems in complete denial about the political dangers he faces.
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/nationa...6WFW12qZnpv10J

Quote:
The White House insists that the new wave of populism created by Democratic governance is, in fact, the same populist wave that carried Obama to victory in 2008. In other words, Obama was elected president by the backlash against his own presidency.

This novel theory allows Obama to stick to his view that there's nothing wrong with his health-care plan, and anyone who feels differently hasn't heard or understood the president's explanations.
Truly amazing that obama and his advisers come away with this idea, in light of three, huge electoral defeats - VA, NJ, Mass.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/28/us...ef=todayspaper

Quote:
The agenda was largely the same, dressed up in fresh packaging, as he offered point-by-point rebuttals to the litany of critiques he hears with increasing frequency. He acknowledged only a failure to explain his policies without retreating an inch on the policies themselves. His main message: “I don’t quit.”
The agenda is one the American people are rejecting. I encourage him to continue with his tin ear - this will cement republican victory in 2010.

Last edited by sanrene; 01-28-2010 at 07:20 AM..

Old 01-28-2010, 07:11 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,679,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
I don't know when this became a tradition but this is a tradition that has made me sick to death and so I refuse to watch the actual SOTU speech no matter who is president. This is the butt kissing standing ovation after each and every statement of the president by members of his own party. It's blatantly obvious butt kissing and does nothing more than waste time. What I'd love to see is everyone in the room sit on their hands and remain silent until the president has finished his SOTU statement. Even better, just release a written press release or a SOTU released on the White House's website. A historian was on a news program and said that at one time some presidents would not make such a speech before congress because it smacked of royalty and instead would simply release a written statement. This isn't about Obama or Democrats because members of both parties have done this whenever their party is in the White House.

I did watch the speech and I did like the speech.

You are correct though. I truly dislike watching the SOTU address because it is always the same brown nosing nonsense. I think that it shows how divided our congress really is and how juvenile they ALL are.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:13 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,866,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Excellent synopsis of this horrible speech by a desperate obama.

It is clear he will ignore what the voters are telling him and his party. The man-child is so in love with himself that he can't believe people hate his policies and ideas.

A Self-Reverential State of the Union Address -- Politics Daily

It really is amazing as you actually listen to him talking out of both sides of his butt. On the one hand, he continues to blame bush for his failed policies and then in the next sentence he claims he's not interested in "re-litigating the past". Isn't that exactly what you just did, Barry?
It was absolutely sickening to watch Obama with his self righteous attitude, chastise everyone else in Washington. He seems to think he is "the one" sent to save the world. He really needs a good serving of humble pie. Just a bit of humility would go a long way with the public.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:14 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,652,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Look up Reagan's first state of the union address. All he did was hammer the democrats, blaming them for all the mess he inherited.

What's different?

To me, the only thing that's different is people did not accuse Reagan of 'talking out of both sides of his butt'. How crude.

32,816 posts, read 19,496,494 times
it was a good speech if you like "look what I SAY I have done, dont look at what I actually havent done"

and as a second point. while all the utopian ideas sound so really nice..like giving everyone college, health, etc..my question is just how does he think he can pay for it all

5,696 posts, read 6,210,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Are you now speaking of the Justice, or the President who didnt stop lying?

no, I am speaking about the senator that yelled out "you lie" to Obama, we know Obama lies because his lips are always moving~

Old 01-28-2010, 07:15 AM

5,165 posts, read 6,054,529 times
This is what really bothers me most about this President. He thinks he knows what is best for everyone. He is the all knowing Obama and only his policies will work.

He lectures us, he does not talk to us. He needs to sit down and listen to Reagan speeches and learn how to communicate.

Obama is not a great communicator he is a good orator. He dictates well, he communicates terribly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies