Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you watching/did you watch the State of the Union?
Yes - I'm left wing 49 44.95%
Yes - I'm right wing 45 41.28%
No - I'm left wing 5 4.59%
No - I'm right wing 10 9.17%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 04:27 AM

5,376 posts, read 5,348,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
I know lol I actually felt sorry for Biden, evry 5 minutes Nancy was standing up, he had to stand up. Even is she was glued to the chair, She would find a way to get up.

Guess you never watched any address's before. The speaker and the VP are always Jack-in-the-boxes at them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 04:44 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,673,812 times
I thought the speech was excellent. I gave a 9. But a much different grade for following through so far.

Old 01-28-2010, 04:44 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,651,295 times
It was one of the best I have ever seen. He admitted mistakes, he admitted there will be difficulties, he offered solutions and he offered a lot of things to Republicans and in the end made a good show of leadership.

Old 01-28-2010, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayabone View Post
Anyone who thought that was a good speech also believes in fairy tales.
Whether or not his plans succeed has no bearing on how good the speech itself was.

Old 01-28-2010, 04:52 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,226,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
I thought tonight's speech was one of the best State of The Union speeches I ever heard.

I personally would give Obama a 10.

He seemed to touch on every area that mattered, and spoke to both sides of the isle.

What was your opinion of Obama's speech - with 10 being the best, 1 being the worst?

This is a public poll.
When you check the facts of what he has said to the actual facts i find the speech to be terrirble.
Fact check: Obama and the ‘hatchet’ job - White House- msnbc.com

OBAMA: "Starting in 2011, we are prepared to freeze government spending for three years. Spending related to our national security, Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security will not be affected. But all other discretionary government programs will. Like any cash-strapped family, we will work within a budget to invest in what we need and sacrifice what we don't."
THE FACTS: The anticipated savings from this proposal would amount to less than 1 percent of the deficit — and that's if the president can persuade Congress to go along

OBAMA: The president issued a populist broadside against lobbyists, saying they have "outsized influence" over the government. He said his administration has "excluded lobbyists from policymaking jobs." He also said it's time to "require lobbyists to disclose each contact they make on behalf of a client with my administration or Congress" and "to put strict limits on the contributions that lobbyists give to candidates for federal office."
THE FACTS: Obama has limited the hiring of lobbyists for administration jobs, but the ban isn't absolute; seven waivers from the ban have been granted to White House officials alone. Getting lobbyists to report every contact they make with the federal government would be difficult at best; Congress would have to change the law, and that's unlikely to happen. And lobbyists already are subject to strict limits on political giving. Just like every other American, they're limited to giving $2,400 per election to federal candidates, with an overall ceiling of $115,500 every two years.

Old 01-28-2010, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambam0084 View Post
HAHAHAHAHA. Restating what he had already said a million times. .

Hmmm....off-shore drilling, nuclear power plants, more tax cuts, boost small business and spending freeze. If this is the current policy which he has said it a million times, then what exactly would you prefer?

Old 01-28-2010, 05:01 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,700,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
That was an excellent speech by President Obama. He stepped up to the podium and gave the Republican Party a proverbial black eye while getting in the Democrat's collective face and telling them to quit being *******.

Bravo!
He certainly gave the Supreme Court justices a black eye. Very, very inappropriate IMO.

No, he didn't give the Republicans a black eye. He was nursing his own black eye with the soft approach to gloss over his and the Democrat party's errors.

They all make errors, on both sides, and Obama knows that but will not acknowledge it directly. No humility in that man.

He talks with a forked tongue, out of both sides of his mouth - he threw barbs at the Republicans while stressing the need for cooperation and working together in bipartisan fashion, and implied that they were against everything and hadn't offered any suggestions. That is misleading and disingenuous of him. He intentionally misled.

www.solutions.gop.gov

The republicans are not the problem. Obama is. He wants to give the impression his hands are clean, but he was in the midst of all the special deals and maneuvering behind closed doors. He says that the people don't trust "Washington" and implies that he's not a part of Washington.
He implies that the big divide is between the two parties, when in fact there's a big gap appearing within his own party with differences among Democrats themselves.

Poor Obama, he had hopes of chipping away at the deficit he inherited and instead he was forced to add to it by spending, spending, spending. And now, as he does the admirable job of freezing spending to try to cut the deficit he created, he bemoans the fact that he will still be left with Bush's deficit. It's still Bush's fault. Will this nonsense never end? Guess he forgot to mention the last two years of Bush's term, when Democrats had control.

He put out what sounds to me, on the surface, as good ideas for small business, for diverting to small banks the $$ that big banks repaid, tax credits and easing the cost of education, etc. But he's still holding on to his favorite big ticket items and that means spending.

Last edited by swbtoo; 01-28-2010 at 05:58 AM.. Reason: add link

Old 01-28-2010, 05:02 AM

3,390 posts, read 4,952,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Hmmm....off-shore drilling, nuclear power plants, more tax cuts, boost small business and spending freeze. If this is the current policy which he has said it a million times, then what exactly would you prefer?
But, but, but... He campaigned against a spending freeze...

RealClearPolitics - Video - Obama Campaigned Against Spending Freeze

Old 01-28-2010, 05:04 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,919,896 times
i cannot take a president seriously if he won't address the core of what happened to this country. obama has to be a crook if he is pushing for bernanke and geithner. let's review what happened:

Tim Geithner. Timmy made a lot of noise about "total meltdown" risk (and indeed even referenced the possible loss of civil order!) but the question that was not asked is this: Who stoked that fear in Congress? That would be Bernanke and Paulson, right? They in fact told Congress "either hand over $700 billion for buying troubled assets or tanks will be in the streets."

But then - on top of that - they didn't do what they said they needed the money for and there were no tanks!

So we're stuck with a handful of facts, none of which are in dispute:

Congress was told that either $700 billion be handed out immediately or civil order would be lost. They were told this by Bernanke and Paulson and believed it.

Congress took the action Paulson and Bernanke demanded but then did not spend the money as they said they would, and yet the "or else" did not happen.

Yet neither Paulson or Geithner will take responsibility for the precise actions taken during what they, along with Bernanke, claimed was literally an "end of the world" event! (denninger, end)

we were told that there was going to be a systemic meltdown if we did not "print" this money, and then the money was not even used for what it was intended. we saw the same with the auto bailout and then they went bankrupt anyway. we were told if we did not give all these people the money, there would be a systemic meltdown of the economy. NONE OF THiS HAPPENED, and, as a matter of fact, some banks now say "oh, we never did really need the money anyhow" but "thanks for letting us get those big bonuses that we now have, which equal over 1% of the whole country's GDP".

is this insane not to acknowledge that there has been a GIANT THEFT from america and realize that no one has been punished? we are talking about reconfirming the criminals under obama's watch! how can this happen?! the american people have been robbed and no-one is accountable? REALLY?

Last edited by floridasandy; 01-28-2010 at 05:52 AM..

Old 01-28-2010, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
It was really a conservative speech, especially for a Democrat.
Yes, for a Dem it was very conservative indeed. It was funny when he suggested more tax-cuts and the Republicans sat stone faced in disagreement. It shows they will oppose even tax cuts when is comes from Obama. I have never seen a president offer so much to the opposing party. After that incident the Republicans realized they were being silly and started clapping to off-shore drilling, nuclear power, clean coal, spending freezes etc other ideas the Republicans have said they want.

But hats off to the Republicans for not resorting to public insults like last time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies