Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 11:22 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,290,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Same here. I can't believe people take the words of an ENTERTAINER (because yes, that's all Beck is) to heart.

You might as well listen to Britney Spears' take on politics.
How about Beck's performance this week talking about history and getting ready to apply it to the present state we are in? Are you so historically sound that you couldn't profit by hearing him talk about history? That is his whole thing so far this week. No tears, giggling and carrying on. Just talking about historical facts that few here know or will ever know because they don't want to believe Beck.

Why do you think Obama started making a big deal about people shutting off their TVs at news time or the 24/7 channels all the time. He fears that people will start learning things they never knew before. I hardly think that Britney Spears could wheel out all the history that Beck has this week. However, I know that most left leaners will never know the things he has been saying.

BTW, I know what he has been talking about since I studied that period, WW I through WW II more than the average bear ever thought about doing. Why don't you take a chance and watch some of this week's shows so you can tell us all the lies he has been telling. I would enjoy laughing at you if you try to do that but it might be worthwhile knowing that you had heard all that truth in such a short space of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
No contest. My country first and always..
Then please, for the good of our country try to watch Beck talk for the first 3 days of this week. We are losing it very quickly.

Old 02-03-2010, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnFOG View Post
No, I'm not Barack Obama.

I am glad you share in my optimism toward the power of personal discovery. I would suggest that your line of thinking runs along a course of personal responsibility.

You say you were a teacher for 28 years, and a student of history. I would suggest that if you were a teacher and student of history for 1,028 years, instead of just 28, it would still be more beneficial for you to open three books or three manuscripts or three documents than to watch three television channels. There is never "too much".

"Too much", is in other words, a covert submission.

I would also say that if you were a teacher for 28 years and a student of history, if you were... excuse me, a *good* teacher during that time, when your students asked you for some advice on trying to understand the historical and moral implications of taxation, of its fairness, of understanding equality, I hope, for goodness sakes I do, that you referred them to the public library, or to some actual research or factual text, and not a television screen.

What you are suggesting -- and maybe what you do is dangerous. Glenn Beck and Keith Olbermann and television personalities have every capability of providing authentic, accurate information, such as we have the access to it. The difference here, and the trade-off, is that these men are made much richer by sharing that information. Olbermann's hatred of Bush made him a richer man. Beck's critism of Obama has made him a richer man.

Someone with a genuine interest in knowledge -- in understanding a point, should never in this country or any country be forced to receive that information through a for-profit medium.

If you were a history teacher in my history department, I would be ashamed of you.

You want to sell something, to innocent people, to people you claim know no better even, that you know damn well is free.
I managed to kick you out of hiding, anyway. Do you not understand that reading history out of books and knowing what happened at a time in our history so that I know that the history lessons Beck has been handing out this week were 100% right makes them any less true? As long as you refuse to see what he is saying about where we have been and where it appears we are going I think you are safe. Continue to argue your left leaning arguments and lets hope that you never have to admit that I was right and you were wrong.

Beck is no longer trying to entertain. He will have to be shut up because his audience is growing and I can assure you that this week he has told people things that they didn't know but could verify if they wanted to do so.

Now some of the books you want me to read would be a waste of time for me. I am 77 and that makes my life too near the end to take up with frivolous reading of quantum physics or like that. I will just stay with what I know about history to see the US making the very mistake that Wilson forced on Great Britain during his first term in office. i know what happened and you could have but you are too good to listen to a clown who isn't being a clown now. Keep up the whine and maybe you will sway someone to thinking like a left leaning loon but it won't be me.

Old 02-03-2010, 11:35 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,314,857 times
I don't care about the president and I HATE my country!!

Old 02-03-2010, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Funk View Post
roysoldboy ! ... Points well made ....

roy ... it's a damn good bet that so many of todays folks have yet to consider learning any actual history period ... That is unless it's the pseudo PC idiotic version of history ! It could even be considered a sure bet ! Thanks / Lamar
There is no doubt in my mind, Lamar, that a huge majority of our people are being had today because they know so little about the history of the US. We are being taken to the cleaners by advocates of Saul Alinsky and very few of our people know that. History wasn't worthwhile when they were in school and therefore they think it still isn't. Actually most of our people here are intelligent enough to see what Beck has been doing this week but they are afraid to watch him for fear he might point out something they never knew.

Old 02-03-2010, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eloyfan View Post
Glen Beck is excrement and I seriously can't withstand 2 minutes of his pap, so won't do it for you.

Who died and made Glen Beck relevent?
Over 1 million Americans in our history died and made what he is telling this week very relevant. Why do you think Obama came out today trying to get people to not listen to him. Oh yes, he did just that although he didn't mention names.

Old 02-03-2010, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
Nice try,....I love my children more, then my country..Never loved ANY President.

I'll be waiting in anticipation for your next silly thread.
It will certainly be there. If I manage to get just one of you haters who are afraid to watch that man because some lefty told you it was a waste of time it will have ben worth it. Just one weakening enough to over come that fear of the truth would make me feel very happy, indeed.

Old 02-03-2010, 11:40 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,097,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I managed to kick you out of hiding, anyway. Do you not understand that reading history out of books and knowing what happened at a time in our history so that I know that the history lessons Beck has been handing out this week were 100% right makes them any less true? As long as you refuse to see what he is saying about where we have been and where it appears we are going I think you are safe. Continue to argue your left leaning arguments and lets hope that you never have to admit that I was right and you were wrong.

Beck is no longer trying to entertain. He will have to be shut up because his audience is growing and I can assure you that this week he has told people things that they didn't know but could verify if they wanted to do so.

Now some of the books you want me to read would be a waste of time for me. I am 77 and that makes my life too near the end to take up with frivolous reading of quantum physics or like that. I will just stay with what I know about history to see the US making the very mistake that Wilson forced on Great Britain during his first term in office. i know what happened and you could have but you are too good to listen to a clown who isn't being a clown now. Keep up the whine and maybe you will sway someone to thinking like a left leaning loon but it won't be me.
Roy,

I was a history major in college. I know the silly history courses that education majors took in college - bare bones necessities, U.S. History to 1877, and 1877 to Present, and similar for Western Europe. This doesn't make you a scholar on history. In fact, we all made fun of the education majors who took history classes because they usually had little idea what they were doing and couldn't put together a strong, historically-accurate thesis if their life depended on it.

Having said that, I just want to say that you've lived through nearly a half-century's more history than I have, and I do think that's worth something. I want to give you all the respect that I can because I know you have important ideas and I know you care.

BUT, Glenn Beck is NOT a historian, he's a sensationalist. Roy, you have a higher level of education than he does, and he didn't study any history. It's called cherry picking. When a person wants to win an argument (easy against most Americans, wouldn't you agree?), they simply take the historical facts that is important to their thesis and nothing else, and most people don't challenge them. You're too smart, been on this planet for too long not to see this. Beck's not all bad, and he's not even all wrong, but he's a sensationalist, not a historian. There is VERY LITTLE analytical thought going on. Do you know how I know that? Because this world (and history) isn't black and white. It's a whole lotta gray. But black and white sells, my friend.

Just keep that in mind.

Old 02-03-2010, 11:42 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,036,241 times
Do you love your COUNTRY or your President more?

mmm, mmm, mmm, United States of America.

Old 02-03-2010, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factsplease View Post
I can prove that Glenn Beck is a liar and quite frankly, I'm tired of discussing his hateful *****. I have discussed his lies and provided links proving that he lies //www.city-data.com/forum/12724871-post64.html. It really wouldn't matter because to his blind followers, he can do no wrong. Again, I am talking to people who create multiple accounts online just so they can cheat in online polls to make themselves look like they are winnng at something. It is not about love of country for Glenn Beck sheep, it is about seeing Obama fail just to prove that you're right.

Glenn Beck thrives on the ignorance, fear, and hatred of his viewers. There is nothing patriotic about wanting the president to fail just to prove that you're right. Now, what can you prove that Glenn Beck is right about? I suppose he was telling the truth when he said that Obama has a "deep-seated hatred of white people" or when he made up numbers for the Tea Party rally and sited the University that he couldn't remember the name of. I suppose you can also prove that communism is a threat in the United States. I am not doubtful that you can prove it, I am positive that you can't.

Ok, I went to your post that you think bore out Beck lies. You said that Vancouver will hold the 2010 Olympic games but maybe you need to get some truth in that like in saying Winter Olympic games. Nice try but you were also completely wrong.

Since you failed on your first point I decided to treat you the same you treat Beck and myself and just skip over the rest. I will try to read more of your treatise tomorrow when it isn't past bedtime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies