Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2010, 08:57 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,793,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
I agree with Stack. He is actually spot on BUT I very strongly disagree with KILLING other people. Truth is, we are the just the ******* of the government. Even if we protest, they will continue to rape us.
Agree with every word you said. We've all been raped so hard and so long I hardly feel it anymore. Here's to all my fellow "*******".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 07:46 AM

768 posts, read 1,088,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
Precisely. What Stack and others here fail to understand is that a baseline level of bureaucratic inefficiency an alienation are inherent in a populous, industrialised country. What they further fail to understand is that they are not nearly the first to discover this. Marx, Stirner, and many others whose ideologies that many would find deplorable theorised about such things a hundred years ago. The only difference being that these people actually brought about real effects. I doubt this non-event will affect anything.
Marx and Stirner's solution to the dilemma were diametrically opposed to the other. Although both were left Hegalians, Marx was a collectivist and Stirner was an egoistic individualist. I don't think Stirner was concerned too much about the plight of humanity like Marx was. Does the Stirner quote, "All things are nothing to me" sound compassionate to you? None the less, Stirner did have some positive and innovative ideas. One was that we should not consider law as sacred. Too bad that idea hasn't caught on.

Old 03-01-2010, 07:55 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,570,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Consent Withdrawn View Post
Stirner did have some positive and innovative ideas. One was that we should not consider law as sacred. Too bad that idea hasn't caught on.
I think we all go through that period in college when we think anarchy is cool, for most people it lasts about a minute, then we realize it is a ridiculous concept for obvious reasons.

Old 03-01-2010, 08:35 AM

2,549 posts, read 2,723,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Infowars banter?

All I've said is that the government has technological resources that would allow them to do large-scale tracking of internet posts, cellphone and land-line communications. Nothing you've said rebuts that.
This seems to be true in this post 9-11 Patriot Act era. We are giving up freedoms for supposed security. I can't help but be a little skeptical as to who is really being helped with this or if I feel safer. Still, I gotta think that a relatively benign discussion of guys like McVeigh and Stack is fairly low on the totem pole of priorities for Homeland Security, regardless of their capabilities.

Somewhere between absolute obedience and total anarchy lies the answer. Again, in the words of noted American Thomas Jefferson, "Those who are willing to give up freedom for security deserve neither."

Old 03-01-2010, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I think we all go through that period in college when we think anarchy is cool, for most people it lasts about a minute, then we realize it is a ridiculous concept for obvious reasons.
I question whether people like Henry David Thoreau, Emma Goldman, or Noam Chomsky, just to name a few, would agree with you. If you dismiss anarchism too quickly, it is because like most people, you haven't understood it properly. The core principle of anarchism is simply self rule, which is the natural result of self ownership. So do you feel you can rule your own life? Do you own yourself? If not, who does?

Old 03-01-2010, 08:37 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,135,035 times
Quote:
And how does a young soldier fighting on foreign soil have jurisdiction over that country's issues?
Diversion. You applaud this coward as a hero, and condone domestic terrorism. No amount of dissembling and diversion is going to change that.

I sincerely hope you are on some agency's watch list.

Old 03-01-2010, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I question whether people like Henry David Thoreau, Emma Goldman, or Noam Chomsky, just to name a few, would agree with you. If you dismiss anarchism too quickly, it is because like most people, you haven't understood it properly. The core principle of anarchism is simply self rule, which is the natural result of self ownership. So do you feel you can rule your own life? Do you own yourself? If not, who does?

Old 03-01-2010, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
Diversion. You applaud this coward as a hero, and condone domestic terrorism. No amount of dissembling and diversion is going to change that.

I sincerely hope you are on some agency's watch list.
I'm flattered to think that I may be on some watch list. Perhaps those watching me will consider who is a true believer in freedom; the watched or the watcher.

Old 03-01-2010, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Floyd View Post
This seems to be true in this post 9-11 Patriot Act era. We are giving up freedoms for supposed security. I can't help but be a little skeptical as to who is really being helped with this or if I feel safer. Still, I gotta think that a relatively benign discussion of guys like McVeigh and Stack is fairly low on the totem pole of priorities for Homeland Security, regardless of their capabilities.

Somewhere between absolute obedience and total anarchy lies the answer. Again, in the words of noted American Thomas Jefferson, "Those who are willing to give up freedom for security deserve neither."

Indeed and the majority of the posters on this thread do in fact deserve neither.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:12 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,570,903 times
Quote:
Therein lies the dilemma, how could 308 million people living according to their own rules possibly function. I guess it works for some on this board who live in their hillside hide-outs in rural Montana with their arsenals at the ready, but for the rest of us sane mortals, living in chaos and mayhem is not at all appealing. For the rest of us who choose to live in a civilized society there is a line drawn in the sand, and if you cross it you face the consequences or use resources to defend yourself. That's what happens when you choose to live in a civilized society. I believe there are some lovely international locales where vigilantism and anarchy are the preferred method of government, why don't you check them out if that's what you are looking for?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies