Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2012, 11:54 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,756,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
So, homosexuality good, behavioral immune system bad?
I don't think the behavioral immune system concept has any merit.

I recall as a kid by best friend was a hispanic boy. We all played together When we reached adolescence, a third of my friends started wearing hairnets and chicken walking like cholos, a third started wearing cowboy boots and listening to country, and a third did not wear an obvious costume, but became jocks and "soches" or just did D&D all day. Point is, none of us recognized the obvious cultural boundaries until we hit adolescence, and I am pretty sure it was all learned in group / out group behavior. No 5 year old is a racist.

Old 04-03-2012, 02:46 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,921,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
So, homosexuality good, behavioral immune system bad?
I don't believe I used the words good or bad, but if you wanna take it that way, sure... if by "behavioral immune system" you're only referring to being a born racist, then most definitely being gay is good compared to that! Wouldn't you agree, or is this is an attempt to justify something personal about yourself?

But I don't really buy this whole theory anyway, as the poster above me stated. Nobody is born a racist - nobody. Even those Westboro Baptist kids were probably born with love in their heart, and it's the evil adults who indoctrinated them later. I don't have any evidence to support that theory (without researching first), but it makes a HECK of a lot more sense than your "born racist" one.

Old 04-03-2012, 05:46 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,366,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I don't believe I used the words good or bad, but if you wanna take it that way, sure... if by "behavioral immune system" you're only referring to being a born racist, then most definitely being gay is good compared to that! Wouldn't you agree, or is this is an attempt to justify something personal about yourself?

But I don't really buy this whole theory anyway, as the poster above me stated. Nobody is born a racist - nobody. Even those Westboro Baptist kids were probably born with love in their heart, and it's the evil adults who indoctrinated them later. I don't have any evidence to support that theory (without researching first), but it makes a HECK of a lot more sense than your "born racist" one.

You keep using words like "bogot" and "racist" to describe what is a natural biological adaptation built into our DNA to help us avoid pathogens through behavior.

What specifically do you find wrong with their research?

Old 04-03-2012, 08:36 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,366,979 times
[quote=Fiddlehead;23695836]I don't think the behavioral immune system concept has any merit.

Drs. Schaller, Murray, Park, Fualkner, Dunhan, Terracciano, McCrae, Buchtel, Norenzayan and Heine will be so disappointed to learn that Dr Fiddlehead says they're full of beans.

Old 04-03-2012, 10:38 PM

161 posts, read 211,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
C-D proves this study right every day

Online, liberals far less tolerant than normal people
A new study shows that liberals are more likely to unfriend, block or hide those whom they disagree with than conservatives are.

Liberals tend to respond defensively with anger, even trying to shut off or silence critics.

Civil discourse is not tolerated by liberals, according to the study, who prefer to block or unfriend diverse opinions that differ from their own.
I find your post to be one of a troll and the source (and your post) is clearly biased and meant to incite anger. The article also skews the results.

In fact, plenty of studies have shown the opposite.

Old 04-04-2012, 05:53 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,219,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
liberals are open-minded. otherwise
they would not be liberals, so take
that lie somewhere else.
So open minded and tolerant of you

Old 04-04-2012, 06:33 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,824,355 times
Study: Conservatives More Likely To Be Intolerant Of Different Opinions.

Both sides are intolerant of the other's views. Why? It's human nature.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:20 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,868,480 times
I think that liberals as a whole are more tolerant than conservatives, I think there are types of liberals that are far more intolerant than the vast majority of conservatives. Someone who is a moderate liberal or a libertarian-leaning liberal or an anti-authoritarian liberal are all pretty tolerant. If you get the ultra-PC type (like the person who once flipped out at me because I used the term "sexual preference" instead of "sexual orientation" in a debate on gay marriage; even though I was favor of it), you're going to going to unfriended the second you use the term "black" or "mailman". Also, nanny statists are also unpleasant f--kers who will automatically view you as worse than a serial killer if you so happen to mention you took your kids to McDonald's one day ("Oh, did you inject them with heroin and rent them out them out to some pedophiles while you were at it?")

But generally speaking, liberals are pretty cool and let's not act like there aren't conservatives who would not flip out over really important things like saying "Happy Holidays".

Old 04-04-2012, 09:09 AM

3,045 posts, read 3,192,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
C-D proves this study right every day

Online, liberals far less tolerant than normal people
A new study shows that liberals are more likely to unfriend, block or hide those whom they disagree with than conservatives are.

Liberals tend to respond defensively with anger, even trying to shut off or silence critics.

Civil discourse is not tolerated by liberals, according to the study, who prefer to block or unfriend diverse opinions that differ from their own.
An online forum hardly qualifies as a social networking site. Whether or not this would hold true, you're likely comparing and apple to an orange. Also, saying that one group are "less tolerant" is a poor use of language. Less tolerant to other opinions is not the same as less tolerant. For example, someone could be less tolerant to, for example, a white supremacist advocating violence against non-whites. In doing so, they could easily be considered more tolerant of other cultures and ethnic groups.

Old 08-24-2012, 11:49 AM

7,006 posts, read 6,991,857 times
Default More intolerance from Hollywood Leftists..

Actress Jean Smart: I'll Never Forgive Anyone For Being Republican

Liberal Democrats- leaning forward to a more bigoted, intolerant nation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies