Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 06:47 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,668,752 times

Advertisements

Parkinson's patient gains national attention from health-care rally confrontation | The Columbus Dispatch

Here is an update on the man with Parkinsons.

Also, the man throwing the money was a member of AFP "Americans for Prosperity".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2010, 07:06 AM

15,866 posts, read 21,452,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
You wouldn't be making such a naive judgment like that if you understood how hard it is to quality for Social Security Disability. And just because someone has the energy to have someone drive them to a protest rally to spend a couple of hours doesn't mean they have the energy to work a regular job. Most disabled people have to pace themselves around the ups and downs of their disease and will pay for it the next day after an outing.

Good for you if you "managed to overcome" your disabilities. But all disabilities are not equal and your compassion is underwhelming for those who are worse off they you.
My ex and good friend had an allergic reaction to cipro when he was 19. His reaction is so rare that no one really knows how to control what is happening to him- neurological damage, nerve damage, SEVERE pain, chronic fatigue, and that's only the beginning. He is now 24 and still does not qualify for Disability. He started off college pre-med and ROTC, and only finished a year late as a photography major because the department was willing to work with him through his bad periods.

We went to a rally for health care recently and similar things were said and done to him by teabaggers counterprotesting. He looks like a normal healthy 24 year old- until you see pictures of him before. At 19, he was incredibly in shape with large muscles from his time in ROTC. He had a full head of wavy hair. Today, his muscles have atrophied and he's gained a bit of pudge from being forced to eat ramen for every meal. He has balded more than many 40 year olds (something that does not run in his family). The only way you can tell he is different is because of the braces he wears on his wrists.

I always balk when people tell me that disabled people should just "work through it". My friend has spent more time in the hospital in a few years than most people do in their lives. There is no such thing as Dr. House and doctors still don't know how to cure it- they've been saying it should clear up on it's own for as long as I've known him. He does not have the energy to work a full time job, and even if he did, who would put up with him constantly being at the doctors or the hospital? Few employers. He self-employs doing photography shoots but due to his illness and the general market, those are limited and do not bring in much money. Certainly not enough to cover medical bills, even with MassHealth.

I fight for healthcare for him. And for me- I graduate in May and have no idea how I will manage my chronic illness after that. Teabaggers have told me I should take personal responsibility for myself- apparently they have never had bills to pay.

Old 03-19-2010, 07:17 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,796,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Both are wrong. Just keeping things equal. What a shame obama made fun of Special Olympics......we elected this man......the tea party people are citizens and while I don't agree with what they said, they aren't elected officials.

So I guess if the tea party comment disgust you, you are disgusted by obama's comment as well.
Good lord, even the most basic understanding of logic (or just common sense for that matter) shows your "argument" to be, well, fallacious (that's the nicest word I could think of).

False Analogy

A List Of Fallacious Arguments

Old 03-19-2010, 07:35 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,048,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
If you follow the clip on the youtube you'll see it's legit. Furthermore the guy who threw the money at the man was with some "grass roots" group. The leader of that "movement" was on Hardball tonight and said what the man did was despicable and did not represent his organization.

It's real. And frankly, it's nothing more than what we read here everyday. I don't know why anybody would try and pretend it's not real.
O.k., Janelle.... here's "his story"....

Quote:
A demonstrator at a Columbus health-care rally who was chided for looking for a handout "on the wrong end of town" actually is a former nuclear engineer with a doctorate from Cornell University.

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content...e.html?sid=101
The original video was taken by the Columbus Dispatch. It's real. Just like their many, many posts on this forum are their real feelings about similar issues .... just like Rush Limbaugh's comments and body movements mocking Michael J Fox were real.

Conservatives have no problem mocking and criticizing disabled people.

To them, 'If you're disabled-- tough ****. Get a job. I don't care what happens to you. Just don't ask me for anything.'

Old 03-19-2010, 11:34 AM

31 posts, read 73,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
Wrong. They are debating a public insurance option. It's not even close to Communism.

In a communist health care system, the hospitals would be government owned ran by government paid employees.
You are so cute! Your child-like gullibility is enchanting. Just how long do you believe it will be before healthcare employees see "U. S." on their paychecks?

Some of the proposals we have heard of, found in these bills, would put the government in the position to make your healthcare decisions for you via policy, rules, regulations, restrictions, and what will or won't be reimbursed.

Explain to me what it is when the government decides to take over 17% of the entire economy. Explain to me just what you call it when the government has gonads to step between a citizen and his/her doctor attempting to sway the healthcare outcome by means of dictating what will or won't be covered?

You have been "dumbed-down" and made to believe this is entirely an "insurance thing". This beats will not stop with mere insurance. It seeks complete control. If you can not see that, I truly feel sad for you.

Believe what you want. Support what you want, but when you get it in its full glory, keep your mouth shut the way you wish the opposition would behave right now.

Old 03-19-2010, 11:44 AM

31 posts, read 73,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
No, you can start. Start by giving examples of these "Communist-like propositions, ideas, legislation, and tactics". I'll give you a pass on the "etc".
Another: Direct control of 1/6 of the U. S. economy via forced "insurance", the influence of the already massive third-party payer system (Medicare/Medicaid)...that's not enough for you? The filthy rotten tactics (not democratic) employed to get even this far in the face of unequaled opposition...that's not enough for you?

Old 03-19-2010, 11:55 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,344,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyAxles View Post
Some of the proposals we have heard of, found in these bills, would put the government in the position to make your healthcare decisions for you via policy, rules, regulations, restrictions, and what will or won't be reimbursed.
LOL. You just described a private insurance company. Tomato Tomato

Old 03-19-2010, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyAxles View Post
Another: Direct control of 1/6 of the U. S. economy via forced "insurance", the influence of the already massive third-party payer system (Medicare/Medicaid)...that's not enough for you? The filthy rotten tactics (not democratic) employed to get even this far in the face of unequaled opposition...that's not enough for you?
1/6th does not Communism make...

Old 03-19-2010, 12:01 PM

3,020 posts, read 8,618,662 times
Don't blame the entire tea party movement for the actions of a couple of idiots. I mean most conservatives I know don't blame the entire democratic party for the actions of their leader. Heck many democrats are already distancing themselves from him.

I guess the man should have been given special consideration since he had Parkinsons. Only non-parkinsons protestors should be harassed.

Old 03-19-2010, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETex2 View Post
I guess the man should have been given special consideration since he had Parkinsons. Only non-parkinsons protestors should be harassed.
What's the point of harassing anybody?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies