Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2010, 06:12 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,189,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njguy View Post
Just for anyone who wants to know what they'll pay:

Obama Health Insurance Tax Calculator
Anybody noticing that, while most insureds have an 80/20 plan, the calculator uses a 70/30 one?

This calculator is more flexible, allowing for more family size options

What does the health care bill mean to me? (washingtonpost.com)

If you try it for yourself, be sure to read the text about co-pay and deductible responsibilty.
Keep in mind, none of these calculators take into account any rise in premiums which, at this point, there is not one guarantee against.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 07:09 AM

3,219 posts, read 6,580,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Anybody noticing that, while most insureds have an 80/20 plan, the calculator uses a 70/30 one?

This calculator is more flexible, allowing for more family size options

What does the health care bill mean to me? (washingtonpost.com)

If you try it for yourself, be sure to read the text about co-pay and deductible responsibilty.
Keep in mind, none of these calculators take into account any rise in premiums which, at this point, there is not one guarantee against.
How I see this is that many single people living in more expensive areas of the country and not earning a "mint" might relocate to cheaper regions to save $$ and to pay these unstable (b/c it's the US government) premiums and to make ends meet.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:14 AM

1,233 posts, read 1,218,208 times
Hmmm... Maybe this tax fact that you point out is a very good argument for having workers paid living wages,.. and increasing the minimum wage!

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
It should also be VERY enlightening to all to realize that 60% of Americans are paying 3% or less of their income in federal income tax. And of that 60%, 67% are actually getting more back from the federal government than they pay in federal income tax.

There are a lot of people not paying their "fair share."

Old 03-24-2010, 08:21 AM

"A man like him?...Prince of Darkness"?...Wow, strong words!

So, did you actually buy Sara Palins book at your latest TeaParty Klan meeting? I am guessing yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adysmom View Post
The danger to America is not Barack Obama but a citizenry capable of entrusting a man like him with the presidency. It will be easier to limit and undo the follies of an Obama presidency than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to an electorate willing to have such a man for their president. The problem is much deeper and far more serious than Mr. Obama, who is a mere symptom of what ails us. Blaming the prince of the fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their prince. The republic can survive a Barack Obama. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president.”

Old 03-24-2010, 08:27 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,061,904 times
Quote:
Just for anyone who wants to know what they'll pay:

Obama Health Insurance Tax Calculator
Hmmmm....we don't earn near $250,000 and this calculator says our tax bill will increase $3630 per year.

I'm not sure how to reconcile that with:
Quote:
I can make a firm pledge, under my plan, no family making less than $250,000 a year will see any form of tax increase. Not your income tax, not your payroll tax, not your capital gains taxes, not any of your taxes. Barack Obama
I can hardly wait to see how much our premiums go up. I'm sure glad Obama is looking out for us middle class folks.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:32 AM

It is well within any Presidents rights to criticize anything he damn well pleases. That is Politics and the tale of the tape comes at election time.

The Supreme Court on the other hand is supposed to comment on matters of Law only (so as not to appear biased) and,... not Politics. Them good ol boys on the court should have kept their damn mouths shut. Period. They messed up big time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorhugo View Post
The lawsuits, whether the Nullification issue or the challenges involving the Commerce Clause or Supremacy Clause are not so clear cut and all up to 'interpretation' in which the Devil is in the detail. In this instance the all three are intertwined and the court must determine a degree to which the Commerce Clause can be applied. In so doing it will venture into rights not granted to the federal government, being rights reserved to the states. Ironically. I think that this Court may have been unduly influenced by the disdainful and disrespectful behavior of this President and members of his party during the State of the Nation speech. Even the more liberal jurists may tend to come much closer to a centrist position on this critical ruling, because of that display against the Supreme Court as a whole. Imagine yourself having to sit still for such treatment. The President may pay a very high price for his gratuitous display of self-indulgent arrogance. In one fell swoop the High Court can administer an old-fashioned *ss-whupping to the demonRATs and THIS PRESIDENT.

SCOTUS is the fat lady who hasn't begun to sing her aria quite yet!

Old 03-24-2010, 08:40 AM

268 posts, read 453,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimer2 View Post
Hmmm... Maybe this tax fact that you point out is a very good argument for having workers paid living wages,.. and increasing the minimum wage!
You can't just "increase the minimum wage". I've been beating my head against a wall with Dems over this for so long. People seem to think that we can just be handed more money and everything will be okay.

The value of the dollar is based on overall wealth. Read up on the gold standard to get a better idea. But you have to understand, for one person to earn a dollar, another person has to lose a dollar. If you increase the minimum wage, the cost of living will go up.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:57 AM

268 posts, read 453,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimer2 View Post
It is well within any Presidents rights to criticize anything he damn well pleases. That is Politics and the tale of the tape comes at election time.

The Supreme Court on the other hand is supposed to comment on matters of Law only (so as not to appear biased) and,... not Politics. Them good ol boys on the court should have kept their damn mouths shut. Period. They messed up big time!
It is in fact not well within the Presidents right to LIE outright for a political agenda. He cannot do "anything he damn well pleases" at all. He is in service to our country. Or maybe you've forgotten that?

And how exactly did the Supreme Court follow any political agendas? Do you have any idea what the hell you're talking about?

Oh I forgot, the President said it so it must be true. To hell with doing my own research and coming to an objective conclusion.

It really, really saddens me to know that people, in this day and age with technology and the internet, can be so f---ing naive.

Old 03-24-2010, 09:39 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,972,033 times
Quote:
The HC bill is now law, Hooray!

American citizens now get to see extra deductions taken (extortion) from their paychecks for about 4 years with nothing to show for it in that time, Hooray!!!

Then............(time will tell).
The US economy is going to collapse long before that happens.

Old 03-24-2010, 09:41 AM

I did not say that the President can do anything that he damn well pleases. Did not say that Presidents do not lie. I said that he can say what he wants. Free speech and all...He answers at the Polls come election time. Kinda works that way.

Who is being naive about the Supreme courts agenda? Overturning years of well established case law limiting contributions to politicians is very political. So is appointing a President to pack a court.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezy is BACK View Post
It is in fact not well within the Presidents right to LIE outright for a political agenda. He cannot do "anything he damn well pleases" at all. He is in service to our country. Or maybe you've forgotten that?

And how exactly did the Supreme Court follow any political agendas? Do you have any idea what the hell you're talking about?

Oh I forgot, the President said it so it must be true. To hell with doing my own research and coming to an objective conclusion.

It really, really saddens me to know that people, in this day and age with technology and the internet, can be so f---ing naive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies