Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 11:20 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,985,890 times

Advertisements

I'm sure both sides of the aisle will be tripping over themselves giving it to them.

Glenn Greenwald has a great article on this and where the money is coming from.

Both the left and the right will enjoy this.

http://www.salon.com/news/opinion/gl...ael/index.html

Those would be the same "American taxpayers" who are now being told that they have to suffer cuts in Medicare and Social Security because of budgetary constraints, who are watching as the most basic social services (the hallmark of being a developed country) are being rapidly abolished (from the 12th Grade to basic care for children, the infirm and elderly), and are burdened with a national debt so large that America's bond ratings are being degraded by the minute. Why should those same American taxpayers bear the enormous costs of Israel's military purchases (as Israel enjoys booming economic growth)? Especially if the issue is presented as cleanly and honestly as Scherer did here, and especially if Israel continues to extend its proverbial middle finger to even the most basic U.S. requests that it cease activities that harm American interests, how much longer can this absurdity be sustained?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 11:53 PM

241 posts, read 474,747 times
Me as a Muslim
I hope that U.S stopped supporting Israel
enough with killing childrens in Palestine > that happend every summer !
My Jewish friends my problem is not with you
it's with your government

Old 03-23-2010, 11:55 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,295,951 times
Me, as an American, hope that they cut funding of Israel.
You don't want to get me started on Israeli politics.

Old 03-23-2010, 11:59 PM

2,104 posts, read 1,443,774 times
I think they can stand on their own two feet by now, at least in this aspect.

*puts on Nomex suit*

Old 03-24-2010, 12:00 AM

8,762 posts, read 11,578,593 times
To hell with Israel. STOP all funding that that damned piece of land. Let them defend themselves.

Old 03-24-2010, 12:01 AM

4,978 posts, read 9,517,568 times
I don't believe in giving foreign aid like that to any nation.

If a nation has a disaster, then we can help, but not millions or billions of dollars per year to buy our friends. Most of them turn on us anyway.

Old 03-24-2010, 12:05 AM

2,104 posts, read 1,443,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
I don't believe in giving foreign aid like that to any nation.

If a nation has a disaster, then we can help, but not millions or billions of dollars per year to buy our friends. Most of them turn on us anyway.
I agree with one caveat.

The reason <most, but not all> of them turn on us is because we are bi-polar. Can you imagine being another country trying to deal with us? We swing like a pendulum every 4 to 8 years. Both sides are guilty in this.

Old 03-24-2010, 12:07 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,985,890 times
I just wonder if this is an issue that grass root right wingers and progressives could get behind?

They would be attacked by right wing authoritarians, neocons, pro-Likud Democrats like Joe Lieberman and Steve Israel.

Old 03-24-2010, 12:08 AM

4,978 posts, read 9,517,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♠atizar♠ View Post
I agree with one caveat.

The reason they (most, but not all) of turn on us is because we are bi-polar. Can you imagine being another country trying to deal with us? We swing like a pendulum every 4 to 8 years. Both sides are guilty in this.

That's true. It isn't really the American citizens, it is our spinmeisters and plotters who do this. They play Risk with the world.

Old 03-24-2010, 12:26 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,472,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Me, as an American, hope that they cut funding of Israel.
You don't want to get me started on Israeli politics.
Cut 'em loose. I don't give a rat's ass about Israel. They've got all the weapons and bombs they need. The less we are in the Middle East affairs the safer we are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies