Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2010, 10:08 AM

46,968 posts, read 26,011,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Granted I've been out for over 16 years now, but my recollection of discussions around disobeying an unlawful order had to deal with orders that violated military law and/or the Geneva Conventions, never over whether or not you believe a superior to lawfully be in that position.
My days in green are a while back (and in another country's armed forces, natch), but yeah - refusing an order from someone you recognize as a superior has to be on the content of the order. The Lt. Col. isn't just challenging the president. he's challenging everybody in the chain of command above him, starting with his CO. Which is also where it will end.

Quote:
This guy is toast.
He may be pondering a political career. Some here have already decided he's a political prisoner.

Old 04-16-2010, 11:55 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Isn't he about retirement age? Maybe he wants to get out sooner.

Old 04-16-2010, 12:06 PM

22,193 posts, read 19,473,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrover View Post
Please defend your assertion that anyone who questions the citizenship of Barack Obama is dumb. If this man, who holds his position based on his meeting the constitutional requirements to do so, can't readily produce uncontroversial evidence of citizenship, why should he retain his position? Any native-born American who had to prove his or her citizenship status could, with very little effort, produce a valid and irrefutable document that confirmed a birth on American soil. Why is it that the President of the United States is to be excused from having to do this very same thing? The subject of this thread had to produce his birth certifcate in order to be processed for deployment; why is Obama not held to the same minimal standard? Does anyone really imagine/beleive that if Barack Obama had a notarized copy of his American birth certificate, tucked away in the family safety deposit box, that he would just simply produce it and make all this controversy disappear. It is the very fact of his not producing it that reinforces the belief that such a document does not exist.

An analogy:

Teacher to student: "Did you do the homework assignment?"
Student: "Yes I did."
Teacher: "Please turn it in now."
Student: "I did it but I am not going to show it to you.
Teacher: "Excuse me, let me have it right now."
Student: "I will show you a note from my parents that states that I did it."
Teacher: "That won't do, I need to see the actual assignment."
Student: "You'll just have to take my word for the fact that I did it."

And so on and so on and so on... Get the idea?

What an awful analogy. The simple fact is he has publicly produced his birth certificate, something no other President has ever done. Yet the birthers still don't believe it.

Old 04-16-2010, 12:08 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,589,909 times
This guy deserves whatever the military decides.

Old 04-16-2010, 12:14 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,706,964 times
The Presidents Birth Certificate has nothing to do with his orders unless they were signed by the President

Old 04-16-2010, 12:39 PM

1,842 posts, read 1,708,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Granted I've been out for over 16 years now, but my recollection of discussions around disobeying an unlawful order had to deal with orders that violated military law and/or the Geneva Conventions, never over whether or not you believe a superior to lawfully be in that position. That's not an argument he can win. The proper authorities have determined that Barack Obama was born in Hawaii and is, therefore, eligible to hold the office of president. He was legally elected. This soon-to-be former officer has no case. And he would most certainly be convicted by a jury of his peers in a courts martial. No matter what their political convictions, they would judge based on the rule of law. This guy is toast.
Very likely. He has ended his career. This legal argument is off in the Hitler arena. He will be convicted. But that is just the start of the legal battle. (But courts martial are different from criminal courts.) This is an act of Honor on the officers part. He has said that he can not honorably follow his orders. He is taking the consequences for following his conscience, honorably.

Old 04-16-2010, 12:51 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,292,958 times
His discharge won't, most likely, be honorable.
False honor is egotism; or in this case, cowardice.

Old 04-16-2010, 01:03 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,065,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newonecoming View Post
He has said that he can not honorably follow his orders. He is taking the consequences for following his conscience, honorably.
Bull crap! He has reported for duty everyday until the Army revoked his access pass to the Pentagon and read him his Miranda Rights. From January 20, 2009 till this week, he has been obeying the same orders from the President that he always has - using his logic about orders originating from the CINC. You can't argue that you will accept some orders but refuse others solely based upon the question of the order givers authority.

Just a reminder, the irony of this position wasn't lost on U.S. District Court Judge Clay Land in his decision in Rhodes v McDonald
To press her “birther agenda,” Plaintiff’s counsel has filed the
present action on behalf of Captain Rhodes. Captain Rhodes entered
the Army in March of 2005 and presently serves as a medical doctor.
The American taxpayers paid for her third and fourth years of medical
school and financially supported her during her subsequent medical
internship and residency program. In exchange for this valuable free
medical education, Captain Rhodes agreed to serve two years in active
service in the Army. She began that term of active service in July
of 2008 and had no concerns about fulfilling her military obligation
until she received orders notifying her that she would be deployed to
Iraq in September of 2009.

Captain Rhodes does not seek a discharge from the Army; nor does
she wish to be relieved entirely from her two year active service
obligation. She has not previously made any official complaints
regarding any orders or assignments that she has received, including
orders that have been issued since President Obama became Commander
in Chief. But she does not want to go to Iraq (or to any other
destination where she may be in harm’s way, for that matter). Her
“conscientious objections” to serving under the current Commander in
Chief apparently can be accommodated as long as she is permitted to
remain on American soil.

Old 04-16-2010, 01:10 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,227,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DraggingCanoe View Post
"For the first time in all my years of service to our great nation, and at great peril to my career and future, I am choosing to disobey what I believe are illegal orders, including an order to deploy to Afghanistan for my second tour of duty there.

I will disobey my orders to deploy because I – and I believe all servicemen and women and the American people – deserve the truth about President Obama’s constitutional eligibility to the office of the presidency and the commander in chief."

Lieutenant Colonel Terry Lakin (selected for promotion to Colonel)

Not an April Fools’ joke: Army officer defies orders unless Obama shows birth certificate « Iowa Independent (http://iowaindependent.com/31168/not-an-april-fools%E2%80%99- - broken link)
joke-army-officer-defies-orders-unless-obama-shows-birth-certificate
The soldier should have followed orders as he had no proof of an unlawful order

Old 04-16-2010, 01:51 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,119,250 times
I'm sorry, but whatever this guy is using as an excuse not to report is not good enough when thousands of his fellow service men and women are fighting honorably in two wars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies