Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2023, 07:39 PM

5,163 posts, read 3,653,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet life View Post
Ok, shame on all of you for not including the NY Giants in the playoffs. They were just there and coming back to take it up a notch. IMHO, Giants can split with Philly during the season to make the NFC East interesting.
The problem I see with the Giants making it back to the playoffs is they could be a better team this year, and still lose more games. The schedule is brutal, and until they can prove that they can beat the Eagles and Cowboys in the NFC East, they are always going to be behind the eight ball for now.

They have really been terrible against the Eagles of late--I believe they have lost something like 11 of the last 12 matchups? I might be slightly off there, but not by much. In addition, right now, the Eagles are simply a much better team.

Last season, they were 2-7 against teams with a winning record (incl. 0-4 against Philly and Dallas). They feasted on the AFC South (Going 4-0, only Philly in the NFC East did that, too). There is no AFC South on the schedule this year as they are playing the AFC East and the NFC West.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2023, 07:10 AM

78,335 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
You can't prove me wrong. lol.
*Shrug*, the upcoming season will tell the tale.

For a team that just needs some more pieces to turn him into Patrick Mahomes...they have a lot less money to do that now.

Old 07-31-2023, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
I like Fields a lot. On potential I would take him over all the starting QB's in the NFC North. He has breakout potential like Hurts. The problem is from top to bottom the Bears roster is really weak. How can a player breakout with no real help around him?

His year last year reminded me a bit of Josh Allen's rookie year. A one man show and every win they had was because of Hurts exceptional athletic ability. Josh Allen was surrounded by garbage on offense his rookie year. In year two the offense brought in Beasely and John Brown and he took a big step up. Then a massive step forward when they brough in Diggs in year three.

I don't think the Bears have made the same additions to the roster to help Fields along. Not that high on Claypool.
Bears didn't rush the rebuild and have a lot of picks next year, as such they will be somewhere around mediocre. I think that was wise to be patient.

However, that division has no good teams anymore so mediocre for any of the 4 may be good enough for a decent record and a first round playoff execution. (and I say this as a Bears fan lol)

Old 07-31-2023, 09:06 AM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Bears didn't rush the rebuild and have a lot of picks next year, as such they will be somewhere around mediocre. I think that was wise to be patient.

However, that division has no good teams anymore so mediocre for any of the 4 may be good enough for a decent record and a first round playoff execution. (and I say this as a Bears fan lol)

I'm not high on Fields. I think he'll have a decent career, mostly as a backup. Not "Clipboard Jesus" level, but.. Something like a Charlie Batch. He seems to have a decent head on his shoulders, which is far more than can be said of someone like Haskins.

Why teams keep drafting QBs from OSU.. I don't know. An argument could be made that the best QB drafted from Ohio State was Tom Tupa. He's the only one who ever made a pro bowl.. Yes, as a punter, but.. It's a pro bowl!

Am I forgetting anyone? From 1980 forward.. Tom Tupa is probably the best QB. Going off this list.

Old 07-31-2023, 10:09 AM

3,942 posts, read 2,338,527 times
Cardale Jones? Wow, he ate his way out of the NFL.

Old 07-31-2023, 11:12 AM

Quote:
I'm not high on Fields. I think he'll have a decent career, mostly as a backup. Not "Clipboard Jesus" level, but.. Something like a Charlie Batch. He seems to have a decent head on his shoulders, which is far more than can be said of someone like Haskins.

Why teams keep drafting QBs from OSU.. I don't know. An argument could be made that the best QB drafted from Ohio State was Tom Tupa. He's the only one who ever made a pro bowl.. Yes, as a punter, but.. It's a pro bowl!

Am I forgetting anyone? From 1980 forward.. Tom Tupa is probably the best QB. Going off this list.

Well, hopefully they don't offer him a quarter billion dollar contract before he wins his first playoff game.

Not sure about the whole QB thing from various schools, each player is different. I mean some don't even have any QB's get drafted often, idk just seems like a lot of those sports talk arguments are dog smiles.

Old 07-31-2023, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Well, hopefully they don't offer him a quarter billion dollar contract before he wins his first playoff game.

Not sure about the whole QB thing from various schools, each player is different. I mean some don't even have any QB's get drafted often, idk just seems like a lot of those sports talk arguments are dog smiles.

Yeah, but when it happens at that level.. don't you have to pay attention to it?

We're looking at 11 QBs across 40 years? At some point.. You really do have to look at patterns. I mean, obviously, the player should be looked at first, but.. It's like Penn State RBs. Saquon isn't apt to make the HoF, but.. he's the first Penn State RB to pan out and be considered a 'success' in many, many a year. I think Penn State had great RBs that flopped in the NFL even back before Ki-Jana Carter, who is probably the first 'big name' RB from Penn State who bombed in the NFL that I can remember.

Old 07-31-2023, 02:08 PM

1,977 posts, read 967,445 times
Quote:

Probably Troy Smith.

Anyway, put a team around Fields and he has the tools to succeed. He could be as good as Dak Prescott.

Old 07-31-2023, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Yeah, but when it happens at that level.. don't you have to pay attention to it?

We're looking at 11 QBs across 40 years? At some point.. You really do have to look at patterns. I mean, obviously, the player should be looked at first, but.. It's like Penn State RBs. Saquon isn't apt to make the HoF, but.. he's the first Penn State RB to pan out and be considered a 'success' in many, many a year. I think Penn State had great RBs that flopped in the NFL even back before Ki-Jana Carter, who is probably the first 'big name' RB from Penn State who bombed in the NFL that I can remember.
On further review, is there some reason why that graphic on Ohio State QB's leaves off their draft round?

I mean, the pattern I'm seeing is a bunch of past 4-6 round QB's from Ohio State and now some higher recent picks that get an incomplete grade and trying to label it as the same thing.

I don't even like Ohio State but that seems sneaky.

Old 07-31-2023, 02:28 PM

Quote:
On further review, is there some reason why that graphic on Ohio State QB's leaves off their draft round?

I mean, the pattern I'm seeing is a bunch of past 4-6 round QB's from Ohio State and now some higher recent picks that get an incomplete grade and trying to label it as the same thing.

I don't even like Ohio State but that seems sneaky.

it's not represented that they were all first round draft picks. They were QB draft picks out of Ohio State.. That did not have success in the NFL. At least, as a QB. Pryor actually had one decent year as a WR and Tupa was actually a heck of a punter.

For a school 'known for great QBs'.. It hasn't translated to pro success.

Same probably could have been said for Alabama up until Tua and Hurts. I don't recall a big successful QB from there between Namath and them.. Don't quote me on that.. i could be forgetting someone

I do think Fields certainly has a better shot than Haskins, simply because I think he has a better work ethic.. But.. He really hasn't shown me anything that says "He's a starter in this league". There've been some flashes.. But, he's going into his third year.. Has great rushing stats.. But the passing isn't there. And when you're a QB.. The passing is what's important. And, to me, I haven't seen a whole lot of improvement in decision making there.

This isn't a make or break year for him.. But.. Next year will be if he falters again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football