Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2024, 05:53 PM

17,994 posts, read 27,448,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggermatt15 View Post
That's a good two cents. I think Detroit was the average fan's team, mostly because as you point out, they were the true underdog - first division title & NFC Champ Game appearance in 30 years. They have a pretty likeable team also and are very exciting to watch. I think they will be back.
I think they really blew it.

They may not get another sniff for another 30 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2024, 06:15 PM

1,979 posts, read 968,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post

Why? The same team should remain intact in 2014. The Lions also have $46 million in salary cap space. Honestly, Detroit is a player or two away from being a title contender every year.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/detroit-lions

Old 02-10-2024, 07:36 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,019,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggermatt15 View Post
Why? The same team should remain intact in 2014. The Lions also have $46 million in salary cap space. Honestly, Detroit is a player or two away from being a title contender every year.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/detroit-lions
Brother, I'm keeping the faith for the Lions.

Old 02-10-2024, 07:48 PM

3,429 posts, read 1,559,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post

Agree and their record can easily reverse if all those gambles start going the other way. Their coach cost them the NFC Championship game

Old 02-11-2024, 07:55 AM

14,321 posts, read 14,613,373 times
I think they'll be a contender this year, but NFL isn't a walk in the park. Teams get wise to schemes, coaching/players habits, it will not be as easy.

They won the division but that won't be a given this year. Yes, I'm a Pack fan, but they're well coached, on the rise. The NFC North teams play teams from the West. Schedule with 49ers, Rams, Bills, Seattle, Dallas will be interesting to see how they do, if they continue . . .or not.

Old 02-11-2024, 09:01 AM

354 posts, read 128,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
I think they'll be a contender this year, but NFL isn't a walk in the park. Teams get wise to schemes, coaching/players habits, it will not be as easy.

They won the division but that won't be a given this year. Yes, I'm a Pack fan, but they're well coached, on the rise. The NFC North teams play teams from the West. Schedule with 49ers, Rams, Bills, Seattle, Dallas will be interesting to see how they do, if they continue . . .or not.
I 100% agree. That's why I don't like early season comments from most talking heads.
They usually rely on last season stats but don't place much emphasis on teams studying other teams schemes and the changing dynamics of new schedules.

I think the Ravens, Eagles, Cowboys, Bucs and the Browns are not going to do as well next season.
Sadly, I think there's great expectations for my Texans and Lions but I don't think they will live up to it either.

There's just too much variation from year to year. Not only will opponents study the one and Outs of CJ Stroud's play (He can only be a rookie once) but the schedule is much different.

My Texans will play the Bills, Dolphins, Ravens, Bears, Lions, PLUS the Cowboys on the road, The Packers on the road, the Vikings on the road, and the Chiefs on the road.

The Lions have it almost as bad. Road games against Division opponents are bad enough, but they also play the Cowboys, Niners and Texans on the road

I think the Lions and Texans have the stuffing to make it to the post season, but I have doubts that either will win their division. I think the Packers will edge out the Lions, and the AFC South is always a surprise.

I'm supporting the Chiefs today, but sadly this is a down year for Mahomes and the Chiefs, so I expect they will be back stronger next season and unfortunately go deep in the post season yet again.

Old 02-11-2024, 09:30 AM

116 posts, read 35,390 times
Would have preferred a San Francisco against Baltimore Super Bowl.

Old 02-11-2024, 09:35 AM

2,045 posts, read 783,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WidowedBuckeyeDad90 View Post
Would have preferred a San Francisco against Baltimore Super Bowl.
Me, too ... would have netted me $843.

Old 02-11-2024, 10:48 AM

8,856 posts, read 6,848,510 times
Detroit won't surprise anyone next year, but I like their path forward, growing from the inside out. Also, a great pass-catching tight end seems to be a cheat code that's really hard to defend.

As for the Chiefs, as long as they have even adequate wide receiver play, they'll be fine next year. It appears that they've solved a big part of that.

Old 02-11-2024, 11:09 AM

25,701 posts, read 12,779,845 times
I have not watched the NFL since some of the players kneeling during the Star Spangled Banner began.

They lost me totally....I have zero interest since that took place.

The next day, I'll watch some of the "best of" commercials, & maybe part of the half-time show.

I don't begrudge others who enjoy it though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football