Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2024, 11:00 AM

3,429 posts, read 1,560,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
and they are not bothered by the cheerleaders.
Why would they be? Not seeing the correlation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2024, 11:16 AM

19,717 posts, read 10,114,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blameyourself View Post
Why would they be? Not seeing the correlation.
They detract from the game too, but so do the stupid sideline reporters.

Old 02-04-2024, 11:17 AM

2,024 posts, read 981,353 times
Quote:
One could say the same about national anthem protests, but most won't. That's because it's simply a matter of people (men in particular) not liking things they'd prefer not to see (or feel that things that have nothing to do with football be kept off a broadcast). Halftime shows and fun commercials have always been a part of the Superbowl. The lovey dovey stuff has not.

The simple fact is that 70% of men have an interest in football. Coincidentally, the vast majority of those same fans don't like "chick flicks". I imagine there might be some men that try and appease their wives by sitting through some rom-com with them, but most would prefer to watch paint dry instead. Hence the animosity.

The situation is also a sad reminder that those with money often make the rules and get privileges not available to others (even people that have never shown an outward interest in football before).

For those that are too bothered, they have the same option available to everyone... don't watch.
The 2001 SB showed Kurt Warner's wife in the crowd quite a bit.

Old 02-04-2024, 11:25 AM

18,001 posts, read 27,450,890 times
Quote:
One could say the same about national anthem protests, but most won't.
Most have finally gotten sick of bringing such garbage into the one thing we can go to for entertainment and rid ourselves of our fights over politics despite of which side of the fight we are on. That's why most don't.

Quote:

The simple fact is that 70% of men have an interest in football. Coincidentally, the vast majority of those same fans don't like "chick flicks". I imagine there might be some men that try and appease their wives by sitting through some rom-com with them, but most would prefer to watch paint dry instead.
Die Hard is both a Rom Com and a great Christmas movie.

Quote:

For those that are too bothered, they have the same option available to everyone... don't watch.
I have yet to see anyone argue this one. Saying it and doing it are two different things just the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
The 2001 SB showed Kurt Warner's wife in the crowd quite a bit.
... and that was one handsome human iirc, ymmv, yada yada.

Old 02-04-2024, 11:35 AM

3,429 posts, read 1,560,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Most have finally gotten sick of bringing such garbage into the one thing we can go to for entertainment and rid ourselves of our fights over politics despite of which side of the fight we are on. That's why most don't.

Die Hard is both a Rom Com and a great Christmas movie.

I have yet to see anyone argue this one. Saying it and doing it are two different things just the same.
You're reaching. I don't know many that would confuse Die Hard with a rom com (a far cry from someone watching a Hallmark movie).

Most don't on the national anthem because they don't see it the same way but it's a fair comparison for the reasons that we're listed. The duration of the national anthem is quite short also (in relation to the amount of time they are showing Taylor Swift). And yet people were completely worked up over it.

Cheerleaders and sideline reporters have been part of the game for quite some time, so that's nothing out of the ordinary. It is also a rarity to see girlfriends and spouses being shown on camera at football games and you certainly don't see them highlighted at every game so that too is a reach.

I personally don't much care but for those who need an explanation on the animosity, I think my post above was a fair assessment of the situation.

I understand the networks wanting to show it for the additional fans not all that interested in football, but even they would have to admit that the additional viewership is not so great that it prevented the game on Peacock from being one of the least watched on the divisional round of playoffs.

And as stated, no diehard fan without the resources are ever going to sniff a skybox or get field privileges unless they're there due to the make-a-wish foundation and terminal with cancer so there might be some envy involved also (again, the ones with the money make all the rules).

But rather than reaching for outliers and trying to spin this, maybe those that disagree with my post above could give a logical reason on what they don't agree with or what I'm saying that's so controversial. For all I care, they can come back after every commercial break and show her. As long as I don't miss any of the game, I really don't care. However I do think people would be annoyed with it in general.

With that said, if I were a network exec, what I would do to completely blow the top off this thing would be to show Taylor's Skybox at halftime with her being absent. Then have one of the announcers say something like "I wonder where Taylor is" and then boom! There she is doing a duet with Usher.

Last edited by blameyourself; 02-04-2024 at 01:00 PM..

Old 02-04-2024, 07:03 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,114,371 times
Quote:
You're reaching. I don't know many that would confuse Die Hard with a rom com (a far cry from someone watching a Hallmark movie).

Most don't on the national anthem because they don't see it the same way but it's a fair comparison for the reasons that we're listed. The duration of the national anthem is quite short also (in relation to the amount of time they are showing Taylor Swift). And yet people were completely worked up over it.

Cheerleaders and sideline reporters have been part of the game for quite some time, so that's nothing out of the ordinary. It is also a rarity to see girlfriends and spouses being shown on camera at football games and you certainly don't see them highlighted at every game so that too is a reach.

I personally don't much care but for those who need an explanation on the animosity, I think my post above was a fair assessment of the situation.

I understand the networks wanting to show it for the additional fans not all that interested in football, but even they would have to admit that the additional viewership is not so great that it prevented the game on Peacock from being one of the least watched on the divisional round of playoffs.

And as stated, no diehard fan without the resources are ever going to sniff a skybox or get field privileges unless they're there due to the make-a-wish foundation and terminal with cancer so there might be some envy involved also (again, the ones with the money make all the rules).

But rather than reaching for outliers and trying to spin this, maybe those that disagree with my post above could give a logical reason on what they don't agree with or what I'm saying that's so controversial. For all I care, they can come back after every commercial break and show her. As long as I don't miss any of the game, I really don't care. However I do think people would be annoyed with it in general.

With that said, if I were a network exec, what I would do to completely blow the top off this thing would be to show Taylor's Skybox at halftime with her being absent. Then have one of the announcers say something like "I wonder where Taylor is" and then boom! There she is doing a duet with Usher.
The biggest issue for me with the national anthem is all these people they have try to sing it and it sounds awful.

Old 02-04-2024, 07:28 PM

5,133 posts, read 6,129,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
The biggest issue for me with the national anthem is all these people they have try to sing it and it sounds awful.
I can definitely agree with you on this, but every now and someone knocks it out of the park.

Jacksonville Jaguars share the hometown of the Lynyrd Skynyrd Rock band and the fans love southern rock.

This guy blew the stadium away.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zBU3J5XsiXI

Reba and Post Malone have the anthem duties for the SB. I enjoy both but definitely 180 degree different music styles.

Old 02-05-2024, 04:50 PM

2,045 posts, read 783,706 times
My biggest complaint about the Super Bowl in recent years has been the Stand Up To Cancer spectacle during the game.

Yes, we've all lost loved ones to cancer, but the Super Bowl is a party, a good time ... stop defecating on the fun with the cancer stuff.

And I'm not anti-Christian, but I could do without their depressing commercials during the big game.

Old 02-06-2024, 07:32 AM

9,495 posts, read 9,809,471 times
The odds are stacked against the 49'ers.

The NFL and Chiefs are enjoying a estimated $330M increase in brand value due to the Taylor affect.

https://www.news5cleveland.com/swift...ent=newsletter

Old 02-06-2024, 07:54 AM

8,660 posts, read 3,858,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
The odds are stacked against the 49'ers.

The NFL and Chiefs are enjoying an estimated $330M increase in brand value due to the Taylor affect.
Latest odds still favor the Niners, but it’s close. It should be a great game. ;-)

That said, a team’s brand value does increase relative to its ability to secure titles, as evidenced by KC in recent years. However, the franchise valuation for the Niners ranks 5th in the NFL whereas the Chiefs are 19th - a difference of about $2B.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football