Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2018, 02:58 PM

1,805 posts, read 1,467,974 times

Advertisements

There is an old adage about the importance of Jimmies and Joes over X's and O's. While I've been firmly on the fire Bob Sutton bandwagon, upon a bit deeper inspection, the Jimmies and Joes on the Chiefs defense are not fundamentally sound, especially when it comes to tackling. There are also some flaws in Bob's schemes too. Far too many time he has only 3 rushing the passer when the results show better when 4 or 5 or even the occasional 6 rush. So when it comes to fixing the Chiefs defense it would appear that there is no quick fix if your aim is a dominant defense. However with the dominance of the Chiefs offense and their ability to seemingly score at will a dominant defense isn't necessary. It might be that a good defense isn't necessary as long as the defense is just good enough. The excellence of the Chiefs offense will naturally lead to the defense being on the field more and being run against less and passed on more. It should be noted that the Chiefs have faced 2 of the top 3 or 4 quarterbacks, depending on where you rank Andrew Luck, in the AFC. and faced them on their home turf I might add. With all this being said, so far I think the Chiefs defense is bad but it has been just good enough to not let Phillip Rivers or Big Ben beat them on their home fields.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2018, 10:39 AM

2,660 posts, read 1,558,804 times
I disagree on your assessment that the defense has been good enough to get past those 2 games. The points given up in those games will insure a team loss most of the time in the nfl, the absolutely only reason the Chiefs are 2-0 is the record setting offensive effort. The Chiefs defense may be the worst in the entire NFL, they are abysmal.

Old 09-19-2018, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
I disagree on your assessment that the defense has been good enough to get past those 2 games. The points given up in those games will insure a team loss most of the time in the nfl, the absolutely only reason the Chiefs are 2-0 is the record setting offensive effort. The Chiefs defense may be the worst in the entire NFL, they are abysmal.
In both those games the Chiefs won the toss and deferred. Starting the game with their defense on the field first. In both those games the Chiefs scored first, stopping the opponent in both games on their initial possession. Yes I agree the defense is horrible but it has managed to be just good enough in the first two games to allow what may be the best offense in the AFC to prevail.
Will this level of defensive suck cost the Chiefs? The odds say yes, but the odds also would have said it already should have.

Old 09-19-2018, 04:26 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,558,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0marvin0 View Post
In both those games the Chiefs won the toss and deferred. Starting the game with their defense on the field first. In both those games the Chiefs scored first, stopping the opponent in both games on their initial possession. Yes I agree the defense is horrible but it has managed to be just good enough in the first two games to allow what may be the best offense in the AFC to prevail.
Will this level of defensive suck cost the Chiefs? The odds say yes, but the odds also would have said it already should have.
I'm not sure what needs to be done with this defense to make them a superbowl contender, but it would be a real shame to watch this fantastic offense go to waste this season - here's hoping they can figure it out.

Old 09-19-2018, 07:09 PM

Default Week 2 AFC offensive player of the week

Pat Mahomes gets the award for the second week in a row. I enjoyed Baldy's breakdown video of the Chiefs offense.
Mahomes, Fitzpatrick among NFL Players of Week - NFL.com

Old 09-23-2018, 12:49 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,765,828 times
Chiefs 35-10 at halftime.
Mahomes is still being Mahomes.
This week, he went and broke himself a Peyton Manning record.

Last edited by sub; 09-23-2018 at 01:09 PM..

Old 09-23-2018, 03:58 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,615,407 times
Mahomes is the real deal, you homies!

Old 09-23-2018, 06:12 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,993,050 times
Andy Reid will find a way to squander this amazing start for Mahomes and the Chiefs. I jest. Wish them all well. I hope the Chiefs can keep the momentum going.

Old 09-23-2018, 09:00 PM

Another week and another touchdown record for Patrick Mahomes. He eclipsed Peyton Manning's 12 touchdowns in the first three weeks of a season by tossing three to bring his total up to 13. And that is 13 TD's with 0 interceptions. Kareem Hunt scored on 2 short TD runs and the Chiefs took a 35 to 10 lead into half time on the back of TD drives on all 5 of their possessions. The 2nd half had Chief fans cussing the just good enough defense and Andy's turtle act as the 49er's did their best to make a game of it coming within 11 points for a 38-27 final.
I love the record setting offense but there will come a time the just good enough defense won't be.

Old 09-23-2018, 09:38 PM

26,223 posts, read 49,072,443 times
Great fun to watch this team in 2018.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football