Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2018, 05:58 PM

2,047 posts, read 1,608,180 times

Advertisements

Another win today for the Chiefs! KC 42 PIT 37. (KC) Mahomes: 23-38, 326 yds, 6 TD.
Defense still needs work, especially the pass rush. Up next, the SF 49ers at KC next week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2018, 06:05 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,615,407 times
Wow! That Mahomes dude is... dare I say it (?)... he's a QUARTERBACK!

Congrats to KC and the sunshine boys on their record-breaking W!

Old 09-16-2018, 07:15 PM

1,805 posts, read 1,467,974 times
1 more touchdown than passes missed, 23 of 28 326 yards 6 TDs. 10 touchdowns in his first two games with no interceptions. The Steeler monkey off their back. First win in Pitt. since 1986. Patrick Mahomes is the real deal. 2-0 and coming home for the home opener against the 49ers. 2 wins on the road against 2 of the better teams in the AFC. Many thought the Chiefs had a real chance of being 0-2 at this point. If you were to tell someone who didn't know, that the Chiefs defense would have given up 1000 yards in their first 2 games they would naturally think 0-2.
Mahomes' 6 touchdowns went to 5 different receivers. He shows a maturity far beyond his years and more natural talent than 99% of quarterbacks. Health is the only thing that could keep him from being a generational talent.

Old 09-17-2018, 11:00 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,765,828 times
Dadgum that kid is fantastic.
I've been wondering if the Chiefs would at least play in a Super Bowl in my lifetime.
Now, I think they could win one or two or perhaps a few in the years to come. It's early in the season and his career, but I'm willing to jump the gun on that one.
Best (probable) franchise quarterback since Len Dawson, and already matching and breaking Dawson records.

Last edited by sub; 09-17-2018 at 11:43 AM..

Old 09-17-2018, 12:27 PM

18,223 posts, read 25,871,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
I've been wondering if the Chiefs would at least play in a Super Bowl in my lifetime.
Now, I think they could win one or two or perhaps a few in the years to come. It's early in the season and his career, but I'm willing to jump the gun on that one.
Best (probable) franchise quarterback since Len Dawson, and already matching and breaking Dawson records.

I was at the Mile High Stadium parking lot yesterday afternoon with friends and some Raider fans, had a flat screen and watched the Chief/Steeler game early. And all of us agreed on this one observation. Mahones is one hell of a quarterback. Like analyst Dan Fouts mentioned in pretty much each quarter, Mahones's throws were like laser shots. Hanging 42 on the Steeler D? Whoa!

Other than possibly Bill Kenney, I'm trying to think back to Dawson's era to come up with a KC Chief qb with those type figures. And also one thing on Lenny, he was stuck as a third string backup for a couple years with the Cleveland Browns when Paul Brown coached the club and IIRC he was with the Steelers club for three years previous as well. By the time he got to the Texans (now Chiefs), he was already 27 years old.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 09-17-2018 at 12:40 PM..

Old 09-17-2018, 02:02 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,011,782 times
Right now on pace for 640 points, which would break the 2013 Broncos record by 34 points. It's only 2 games and a lot can happen in the remaining 14, but it's definitely a start that's worth noticing.

Old 09-17-2018, 04:20 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,763,058 times
I’m not ready to buy in on Mahomes yet, but the dude does have me grabbing the debit card. His performance yesterday was against a Steelers team which is a blocked kick in Week 1 away from being a total dumpster fire on defense. I think KC is the favorite in the AFC West since I’m not convinced on the Broncos, but that defense is giving me cause to pause.

Old 09-17-2018, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I’m not ready to buy in on Mahomes yet, but the dude does have me grabbing the debit card. His performance yesterday was against a Steelers team which is a blocked kick in Week 1 away from being a total dumpster fire on defense. I think KC is the favorite in the AFC West since I’m not convinced on the Broncos, but that defense is giving me cause to pause.
I looked into their defense a little today. They are 29th in scoring, 6th against the run and 32nd against the pass. So epic are the opponents numbers against the Chiefs the total defense rank is 32nd. But there’s more to it. The Chiefs are 22nd in rushing yards per attempt, meaning the opponents abandon the run and go to the pass. This suggests the run defense may not be as good as the overall ranking, while the pass defense may not be as bad as it looks. After all they’ve played two top flight passers and they won’t face that every week. They’ve also played with a lead forcing opponents to throw more.

I’m a skeptic of the Chiefs over their defense and contend it’ll be their undoing, and after 2 games I’ve no reason yet to believe otherwise. But they may not be as bad as they look at a glance. If they can get scoring and passing defense to the low 20s that may be good enough to make the Chiefs a dangerous team.

This all assumes MaHomes doesn’t have ups and downs. I suspect he will but after the first two games everyone is excited about him.

Old 09-18-2018, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
I looked into their defense a little today. They are 29th in scoring, 6th against the run and 32nd against the pass. So epic are the opponents numbers against the Chiefs the total defense rank is 32nd. But there’s more to it. The Chiefs are 22nd in rushing yards per attempt, meaning the opponents abandon the run and go to the pass. This suggests the run defense may not be as good as the overall ranking, while the pass defense may not be as bad as it looks. After all they’ve played two top flight passers and they won’t face that every week. They’ve also played with a lead forcing opponents to throw more.

I’m a skeptic of the Chiefs over their defense and contend it’ll be their undoing, and after 2 games I’ve no reason yet to believe otherwise. But they may not be as bad as they look at a glance. If they can get scoring and passing defense to the low 20s that may be good enough to make the Chiefs a dangerous team.

This all assumes MaHomes doesn’t have ups and downs. I suspect he will but after the first two games everyone is excited about him.
This is not a very well worded post so let me see if I can clear it up a little.

Chiefs defense: 29th in scoring, 32nd in total D, 32nd in pass D, 6th in run D.

So overall the Chiefs rank at the bottom of the league in defense, with the run defense being the exception. However with the way their offense has jumped out to early leads, the Chargers and Steelers alike had to abandon the run, suggesting the Chiefs run defense may not be as stout as it's top line ranking suggests. It turns out the Chiefs rank 30th in rushing attempts against. This stat is perhaps a testament to their offense being able to generate a lead and make the opponents' offenses one dimensional in an effort to keep up. However it also suggest the lone "bright spot" on the Chiefs defense may not actually be a bright spot. It's easy to be a top 10 run defense when nobody is trying to run on you, so yards per attempt is a better metric for how effective the Chiefs run defense is. Here they're allowing 4.5 yards per attempt, good enough for 22nd in the league. And honestly that may not be a problem if their offense can maintain production near the level of the first two weeks.

Now, let's run a similar analysis with the pass defense because we may learn it isn't as bad as its 32nd ranking suggests. While the Chiefs have allowed more yards, it's important to put it in context: they've seen more pass attempts than any other team. This shouldn't be surprising since again, the Chiefs have played with big leads and their opponents have had to play catch up. They've also allowed more completions than any other team. Their completion percentage, while high, is actually not the highest in the league, so that's a positive. Yards per attempt is 6th highest in the league and passing TDs surrendered is 2nd highest. The other thing to remember is they've played two very good QBs in Rivers and Roethlisberger. While it's hard to argue the pass defense is better than the ranking suggests, it's definitely worth putting into context.

Ultimately I do think the Chiefs defense is a liability for this team. It may not prevent them from being a playoff team, but their prospects in the post season are probably limited for this reason. I pegged them a 7-9 or 8-8 team based on expecting Mahomes to have some ups and downs opposite a defense I anticipated would be generally bottom third. So far Mahomes has shown he can lead an offense at an elite level, but it's 2 games out of 16. I still expect some drop off, but Reid coaches that team well enough I don't expect the down moments to last long. That offense just may be able to carry the Chiefs to 12-4/13-3, even with the bottom ranked defense.

We'll see. It's a long season ahead.

Old 09-18-2018, 10:30 AM

2,660 posts, read 1,558,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
It's bizarre how close these first 2 games were considering how many points the offense put up. Mahones and the rest of this offense deserve a much better defense, they definately are not superbowl bound without some serious improvement with this defense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football