Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 09:28 AM

18,025 posts, read 27,475,785 times

Advertisements

The claims made about THIQ are speculation and the studies done on THIQ and TIQs are eloquent and outdated.

I disagree with the disease concept of alcoholism. It's sloppy at its best and lazy to the core.
They are making claims that are true though, but this stuff has long-since been hashed out by others eons ago.

For example, I agree alkies or potential make up 1 of 10 and that hard drinkers are not alky... but some cross the line in time. Some don't. You can't pour enough booze down a non-alky to make them one. You can kill them and make them sick though.

Alcoholism is not an addiction. Anybody can be an addict. Not so with alcoholism.

Alcoholism is NOT a disease.

There are folks who are alky who binge drink and some drink continuously, but seem to function pretty well, may not even appear drunk, depending on their current health, state of liver etc.

Then there's the continuous hard drinker who ain't alky. They can either moderate the amount they drink OR they can walk away and stay stopped. But they can't do both. Or perhaps they can depending how far progresses they are. The alky can do neither.

Some alkies CAN quit cold turkey. They just have a hard time staying stopped for a long time or for good and all.

With regards to THIQ, what doctor can I go to this week and determine if I'm alky or not? Prove to me 100% this claim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2013, 04:51 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,727,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Never started smoking. As for drinking, started when I was 21 and just quit 5 years later.
I started smoking when I was 16 and just quit 45 years later - with Chantix.
That was 6 years ago. Once the nicotine was out of my system for a year
I never craved it again. When I did the patch or gum I would be smoking within
days or weeks.

I started drinking when I was 17 and couldn't quit until I was 40 and admitted
I was an alcoholic. When I went to my first AA meeting an old timer asked me if I was
a real alcoholic but I told him I just had a "little drinking problem." He then said to me
"This isn't Little Drinking Problems Anonymous, your are in the Big Leagues now, son."

That was 28 years ago and by using the AA program the urge to drink was removed for me,
and has never returned. It's a wonderful life.

Old 11-24-2013, 04:32 AM

38 posts, read 64,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
The claims made about THIQ are speculation and the studies done on THIQ and TIQs are eloquent and outdated.

I disagree with the disease concept of alcoholism. It's sloppy at its best and lazy to the core.
They are making claims that are true though, but this stuff has long-since been hashed out by others eons ago.

For example, I agree alkies or potential make up 1 of 10 and that hard drinkers are not alky... but some cross the line in time. Some don't. You can't pour enough booze down a non-alky to make them one. You can kill them and make them sick though.

Alcoholism is not an addiction. Anybody can be an addict. Not so with alcoholism.

Alcoholism is NOT a disease.

There are folks who are alky who binge drink and some drink continuously, but seem to function pretty well, may not even appear drunk, depending on their current health, state of liver etc.

Then there's the continuous hard drinker who ain't alky. They can either moderate the amount they drink OR they can walk away and stay stopped. But they can't do both. Or perhaps they can depending how far progresses they are. The alky can do neither.

Some alkies CAN quit cold turkey. They just have a hard time staying stopped for a long time or for good and all.

With regards to THIQ, what doctor can I go to this week and determine if I'm alky or not? Prove to me 100% this claim.
This is all according to the American Medical Association, and the information is current. You are most certainly correct that you can drink yourself into alcoholism. It is caused by damage to the liver which results in the precipitation of THIQ. I work in the field.

When you refer to alkies quitting cold turkey, they are almost always binge drinkers. Your statement supports my own opinion. They cannot stay off the booze.

Alcohol is just as much a drug as any other drug. Ask a Doctor. It is common knowledge.

ALCOLHOISM IS A DISEASE. ASK A DOCTOR - ANY DOCTOR. It is simply a fact that is accepted in the medical books and currently with the AMA. Please argue the point with a real professional. I am just a Masters level Clinician with 22 years of experience. I do not expect my word to be taken seriously.

Old 11-24-2013, 05:17 AM

757 posts, read 1,025,371 times
I don't smoke or drink ever. But those who really want to quit should try stepping up on his/her mental toughness and will power. That's the only way IMO.

Old 11-24-2013, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawporri View Post
I started smoking when I was 16 and just quit 45 years later - with Chantix.
That was 6 years ago. Once the nicotine was out of my system for a year
I never craved it again. When I did the patch or gum I would be smoking within
days or weeks.

I started drinking when I was 17 and couldn't quit until I was 40 and admitted
I was an alcoholic. When I went to my first AA meeting an old timer asked me if I was
a real alcoholic but I told him I just had a "little drinking problem." He then said to me
"This isn't Little Drinking Problems Anonymous, your are in the Big Leagues now, son."

That was 28 years ago and by using the AA program the urge to drink was removed for me,
and has never returned. It's a wonderful life.
That was cute. Nice story!. Just wondering, from your perspective, was it your willfulness and toughness that got you sober. Or, something else? Or, both?

Again, I like the "big league" comment!

Old 11-24-2013, 02:06 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,727,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvest123 View Post
That was cute. Nice story!. Just wondering, from your perspective, was it your willfulness and toughness that got you sober. Or, something else? Or, both?

Again, I like the "big league" comment!
My will-power and self-knowledge were no more effective against my alcoholism
than they would have been against a malignant tumor. They did serve me well by
enabling me to continue to drink for much longer than I should have. The tough guys
are the ones on skid row with their "short dog" sleeping in cardboard boxes in the dead
of winter. My sponsor would always tell me that AA was a chicken **** program for
chicken **** people and I was one of the chicken ****s.

What got me sober was a Higher Power doing for me what I couldn't do for myself. As far
as the nomenclature goes medically, it is irrelevant to me. I do know that medicine is
not science but I have tremendous respect for the medical profession and the practitioners
that serve humanity. I just had heart surgery and would have surely died
prematurely without having an awesome Electro-physiologist perform his treatment.
When I went into that OR I thought I had just walked onto the deck of the Starship
Enterprise.

Old 11-24-2013, 02:09 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,026,941 times
Never started. Never will either. The food out there is full of enough man made chemicals without wanting to willfully ingest more for 2 hours of high only to feel like crap the next day.

Old 11-24-2013, 03:11 PM

Quote:
I work in the field.
Orly? I did about 30 years of lab work myself.

Quote:
Alcohol is just as much a drug as any other drug. Ask a Doctor. It is common knowledge.

ALCOLHOISM IS A DISEASE. ASK A DOCTOR - ANY DOCTOR
Alcohol is not a drug, it is food.

Ask a doctor? No thank you. They have an agenda, an ego, and a bank account to feed.

For me, this stuff is simply life and death.

Old 11-24-2013, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Orly? I did about 30 years of lab work myself.

Alcohol is not a drug, it is food.

Ask a doctor? No thank you. They have an agenda, an ego, and a bank account to feed.

For me, this stuff is simply life and death.

Then ask the people that make it. They will tell you the same thing. The manufactures will also tell you the same thing about alcoholism being a disease.

Ethanol is and always has been known as a drug by modern medicine. It is so deadly a drug that until the 1980's, you were considered disabled for being alcoholic.

I think we both can agree on one thing, for both of us it is a matter of life and death. I work with a recovery program that uses many different techniques to help those that suffer with alcoholism. Unfortunately, we learn a great deal every year, but the techniques stay the same and recovery rates continue to drop because of lack of funding in the public sector.

If you think about it, and we also agreed on this that 1/10 of our population is at risk for death or serious illness leading to death because of alcohol. That is an epidemic whether it is a disease or behavioral. Either way, it never gets the attention that it should. Taxes and the govt make way too much money to let it get too bad of press. The same with smoking. Kills millions every year and it is as legal as sugar.

I never meant to get into an argument about all this. I simply live it in my profession and personal life every day. If I offended you, I sincerely apologize. I hope and pray that you and I both stay on the opposite side of the statistics - which ever way you look at the situation with booze. Sometimes I get preachy, and I should know that never works. It never did with me. My thoughts and prayers are with you. I hope all goes well for you.

Old 11-24-2013, 06:41 PM

Well thanks. I'm not upset about any of this, just passionate.

If folks want to call it a disease, fine with me. But believe me, I've been on the firing line for the recovery of alcoholism and my "technique" of getting and staying sober has met with much disdain and persecution and I'm punchy.

I will respect your believe in alcohol being a drug, but I still think it's a food as well. I see absolutely no need to make booze out to be the bad guy. Most folks can enjoy it and drink it with "impunity". Hats off to them.

Some of my colleagues call alcoholism a disease and I just personally believe that it's not necessary. Nor do I believe that it's a behavioral problem. I think that the over-use of alcohol, like the abuse of drugs, is a matter of seeking a higher state of consciousness, and all that entails.

I look forward to conversing with you about this here and elsewhere, thanks for the friend request, I will reciprocate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology