Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 09:30 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,956,563 times

Advertisements

Yesterday, 11-2-13, I celebrated my ninth smoke-free anniversary. This, after smoking for 55 years. I used the medication, Wellbutrin, and while I won't say it was easy, I was so determined that this would be the quit that "took", I worked through the urges. To this day, I occasionally get the feeling that I want a smoke, but I know that wouldn't be a good idea.

Although I drank a bit when I was young, it never was something I had to have. My Mother was an alcoholic and I worried that I could slip into that abyss. I will have an infrequent glass of wine at a celebration of some kind, but alcohol isn't something I look forward to or drink routinely.

The smoking quit is the one of which I'm the proudest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2013, 10:09 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,180,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymillionaire View Post
Was it AA ? That made you stop drinking? What about smoking? Anyone just woke up & stopped whats your story?
Hmmm... I love driving my car much more than getting drunk. So it's never been a difficult choice to stay sober all night if I need to drive myself home later on. At a nightclub, I can still have fun just drinking ice water.

I guess that early on, I realized that I didn't need to be drunk to have a good time at night. I never believed the crap that ad agencies produced insisting that getting drunk was the best thing to do every weekend. And for the last 20 years, I can go for months not drinking at all. I can have beer in the fridge and forget to drink them.

Old 11-04-2013, 05:56 AM

87 posts, read 48,878 times
After 45 yrs of smoking ( and enjoying it) I had to give up because I could no longer afford it ... my hubby is ill and I'm now his carer ...tried all the usual gimmicks ..nicobate patches..gum..inhaler ... then Champix ..what a nightmare ..that drug should be banned .. anyway ..made the Big Switch to 'vaping' and had no withdrawals at all ...delicious flavours to vape ( with nic which I import from the US) and I've never felt better ...hubby even likes the aromas and best of all ..I'm not smoking .. I call my ego -cig my PV ( personal vapouriser) some of my friends have also shaken the habit by using a pv ...recommend it to anyone ... 99.5% rate success with those who've taken it up ... life is too short to suffer unnecessarily!

Old 11-04-2013, 11:20 AM

18,025 posts, read 27,472,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawporri View Post
Regular Earth People - Don't ya just love 'em ?
Milk-fed kids, I tell ya. I'm sure I've spilled more booze on my tie than some of these "drinkers". Gee, I think I'll stop drinking beer this month so I can work on my abs.

If a gym commitment helps you to control your drinking/smoking, do it!

If legal consequences deter you from imbibing or if limiting your alcoholic intake to thrart off a bad case of gas works for you, do it! But if that crap is not working for you, DM me. We'll talk about it.

Old 11-04-2013, 12:35 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,727,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Milk-fed kids, I tell ya. I'm sure I've spilled more booze on my tie than some of these "drinkers". Gee, I think I'll stop drinking beer this month so I can work on my abs.

If a gym commitment helps you to control your drinking/smoking, do it!

If legal consequences deter you from imbibing or if limiting your alcoholic intake to thrart off a bad case of gas works for you, do it! But if that crap is not working for you, DM me. We'll talk about it.
Is there an outfit called "Little Drinking Problem Anonymous ?"

Old 11-04-2013, 04:15 PM

How about I Can Control And Enjoy My Drinking And Want To Tell The World About It Anonymous?

Old 11-04-2013, 07:08 PM

1,228 posts, read 1,369,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
How about I Can Control And Enjoy My Drinking And Want To Tell The World About It Anonymous?

Old 11-04-2013, 08:43 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,305,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymillionaire View Post
Was it AA ? That made you stop drinking? What about smoking? Anyone just woke up & stopped whats your story?
I smoked only for 4 years and that was decades ago. While I enjoyed smoking (really, I did), I always took notice of how much better my lungs felt after taking a good brisk walk. I also resented the cost of supporting that habit, which was only around $1 per pack at the time, and knew I was going to squelch that vice in due time.

Then I walked off a job in a rage and never touched a cigarette since. Flat quit. I think it was a subconscious decision to start completely over with a clean slate.

Old 11-04-2013, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostly1
Trolling? Stupid?

Being an alcoholic and the recovery from it is life and death for me. I could have died many times due to my drinking. That's my experience. That's my truth. I take this topic gravely serious.

I've also been on City Data forums since December of 2006. And you?

Folks who've been on City-Data this long don't troll, nor is it your job to moderate the likes of me. In fact, it's against the TOS.

Old 11-04-2013, 11:29 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,204,357 times
I quit drinking cold turkey this past spring. I was arrested for DUI 5 years ago and mandated to go to drunk driving school and 3 AA meetings. I chose the morning school session because I could stay sober long enough to get to class and then drink to my hearts content at night. I was very surprised that 3 people were kicked out because they failed the breathalyzer and one woman go kicked out "graduation day"! I didn't feel so bad that I could control myself until nighttime.

The 3 AA meetings were of no use to me, I was just there to get my paper signed so I could complete my punishment. I'd get up and say I was NOT an alcoholic and I was just there because of the court. This was all while my husband was dying. He was supposed to be as stress free as possible. Yeah, right. I was doing a great job of that! BUT....he was an alkie of 40 years. Went into the Army stone cold sober and came out a rip roaring drunk. I digress. Anywho, pulled one over on the court but just drank at home instead. No more drinking and driving.

Hubby died in '12 and I continued to drink my merry way to the grave. One night I decided not to drink and it's been 8 or 9 months since I had a drink. IDK how long because I don't think of it. I just don't drink anymore.

Smoking, that's another thing. I have quit two times, once for 3 1/2 years, another for a year. 3 1/2 years was hypnosis and the other year was the patch. Having a spouse that smokes does not help. Chantrix did make me not want to smoke but the dreams were wicked bad.

Now I'm almost in the mood to do it again. I bought a carton of smokes today but I also bought the patches so when the mood hits me, I'm ready and don't need to wait to go buy them. I buy by the carton at one particular place because they only sell cartons and everywhere else you just pay 10X the price of a pack. My smokes are almost $8 a pack at every other place, $6.10 if you divide the carton by 10 from my place I noticed Marlboros are almost $10 a pack the other day!

I can see the savings from not buying booze, I'll be rich when I quit smoking!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology