Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 09:10 AM

8 posts, read 9,409 times

Advertisements

I stopped smoking with the patch. I was coughing my lungs up one morning and listening to the radio when they announced a clinical trial for smokers to test the Nicoderm patch for over the counter sales. Up to that point it was prescription only. This was before August, 1996.

So I got accepted and I was given a full physical and breathing test (all free). I was also paid for my transportation. I was started on the highest level of the 3-step system, and 5 days later I found I was getting dizzy from the level of nicotine in the patch. I had another 2 weeks before I could go back to the study docs, so I cut it in half (nobody told me not to, tho it's on the box now that you shouldn't). I covered the cut edge of the patch with surgical tape so it wouldn't "bleed." Anyway, after about 6 weeks of wearing the patch, I didn't need it anymore.

My habit was mostly psychological, I guess. It was something to do with my hands. I was used to grabbing a cigarette when I got in the elevator at work, on the way down to go to lunch or home, and I would light iut the moment I hit the street. We were called Nicotine Nomads because we went from place to place to find a place to smoke. Break time was oin the roof of our building. It could be 20 degrees and 30 mph winds, and we'd still go. But having something to do with my hands was the worst part.

I have been smoke-free for 17 years! I have no urge to smoke, although sometimes I have the urge to pick up a cigarette and blow smoke back in somebody's face, usually in a bar or restaurant.

Drinking was a bit more difficult. I spent several years carrying a 64-oz "sippy-cup" of water around with me. That's exercise as well as having something to do with my hands. lol It worked. I still drink occasionally but I don't get drunk anymore. For one thing, I'm on a fixed income and I'd rather havce food and meds; for another, I just don't like the bar scene that much anymore, although I do go to our local place on wing night. Love my wings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2013, 09:11 AM

18,026 posts, read 27,475,785 times
If quitting was easy we'd have quit long ago and we'd have quit someplace else, that's a for sure.

Old 11-03-2013, 09:20 AM

3,493 posts, read 3,206,432 times
Chantix was the only thing that got this nicotine addict to stop - read on:

The first week I had to deal with all day nausea and weird dreams. Then I went to the full dose and it got worse. I quit the Chantix after about 10 days. Guess what. For over three months thereafter, I'd light one up and put it down and forget it.

This stuff works! BUT You have to play around with when to take it. Make sure you don't take it on an empty stomach and never take it less than 5 hours before you plan to go to sleep. You don't have to take it for long either. It has very very long after effects. I went with the "pulse" system. Stopped it for 4 months then went back on it - the second time with very few side effects. But lo and behold, with no nicotine fits at all...I quit completely in about 6 months and for some reason, have absolutely no drive to ever pick up another ciggie ever. A puff on one makes me sick. I haven't even touched the Chantix in years.

I am not in any way financially connected to this drug or its pharmaceutical company.

Old 11-03-2013, 09:46 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,975,323 times
AA for my father in the 80's. It worked.

Old 11-03-2013, 12:07 PM

88,617 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawporri View Post
Psychic change thru the steps did it for me with the booze, just like it did it for you. It works, it really does.

Chantix worked for the cigarettes after hundreds of countless vain attempts for 45 years.
I'll be 6 years in January. "Free at last, free at last thank God Almighty I am free at last."
That is great! I'll hit two years off nicotine on December 12. Still so happy to be able to say, "I don't smoke".

Free at last is right. I was a slave to those damn things.

Old 11-03-2013, 12:16 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,330,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymillionaire View Post
Was it AA ? That made you stop drinking? What about smoking? Anyone just woke up & stopped whats your story?
Giving up Smoking was easy, they asked me for $10 a pack, that was the end of that addiction.
Alcohol isnt entirely gone but old age is taking care of that addiction.
Food is now an addiction i'm having trouble with..

Old 11-03-2013, 12:23 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,727,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That is great! I'll hit two years off nicotine on December 12. Still so happy to be able to say, "I don't smoke".

Free at last is right. I was a slave to those damn things.
After about 18 months thoughts of smoking were gone.
Great job MQ, you don't ever have to pick up another
coffin nail again.

Old 11-03-2013, 05:29 PM

769 posts, read 977,269 times
Thankfully I never started smoking. My asthma dr would have strung me up by my toes. I have decided to quit drinking wine because my riding pants were getting snug. I will stop drinking before I have to buy new riding pants.

Old 11-03-2013, 07:19 PM

18,026 posts, read 27,475,785 times
Oh my, that would be a tragedy.

Old 11-03-2013, 08:51 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,727,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Oh my, that would be a tragedy.
Regular Earth People - Don't ya just love 'em ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology