Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 05:25 PM

1,228 posts, read 1,370,061 times

Advertisements

Smoked for 50 years and have the lungs, or lack thereof, to show for it. Quit several times for up to a year or two but each time a very stressful situation (once was divorce and strangely enough, the other was retirement) led me back to it. Just quit again six weeks ago with the help of Chantix and am determined not to back-slide. The specter of being on oxygen is not a pleasant one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2013, 06:33 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,506,760 times
Keep up the good work Ghostly 1 - my sister could not even make it from one room to the next without her oxygen tank - she became a recluse.

Old 10-28-2013, 01:42 AM

1,261 posts, read 2,147,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Same here. Candy addict.
Same here. I literally (literally, not figuratively) have a significantly more difficult time stopping my consumption of candy than I had stopping my consumption of cigarettes, and even opioid painkillers. I've recently developed an extremely bad black licorice habit. I mean real licorice drops from various places in Europe, not the fake stuff you can get elsewhere. I especially like the 100% licorice extract pellets from Italy. Delicious!

I am going to have blood pressure problems soon due to this...

Old 10-30-2013, 12:19 PM

542 posts, read 692,397 times
I had a co-worker who told me she stopped smoking by telling herself, "I want a cigarette, but I'm not going to have it, just not now." And whenever a craving hit she'd say that, and ended up never having another cigarette. She said years later she doesn't get cravings anymore.

My mom was a smoker for years. She only quit when her doctor told her that amputating her legs was a very real possibility because the circulation in her legs was getting so poor. I think she may have used nicotine gum, but it was years ago so I'm not entirely sure.

As for junk food - I read a book (Diet Rehab) that explained how fat and sugar become addictive. I followed the advice, replacing bad foods with healthy choices over the course of a month, and continued eating healthy. It's true that you have to re-teach your taste buds what good food tastes like, and not the easy taste of sugar, and you teach your body to crave good stuff, not junk food.

Old 10-30-2013, 03:19 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,530,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymillionaire View Post
Was it AA ? That made you stop drinking? What about smoking? Anyone just woke up & stopped whats your story?
I don't drink anymore because I can no longer afford such an expensive habit, it made me fat, and I found drinking too much made me feel more sick than happy as I grew up. So now I only drink occasionally and will usually enjoy a glass or two of whatever beverage we're talking about. If I'm getting really crazy with friends, I may consume as many as four maybe once a year. It's just a matter of choosing not too for me, I felt I no longer needed it.

Another factor that helped was replacing it with healthier alternatives when I wanted to relax with a cool, luxurious beverage after work. Now I enjoy kombucha and the finest teas and find them more satisfying.

Old 10-31-2013, 03:25 PM

198 posts, read 262,978 times
E cigs. You can choose your nicotine levels until you have 0. And they come in all kinds of fruity flavors. No stinky cig smell. I love it.

Old 11-01-2013, 02:35 AM

1,824 posts, read 1,722,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
Not everyone drinks to get drunk.

So true, I just drink 3-4 beers so I'm less intensely aware of how bad I feel. Have had serious anxiety & depression all my life. About 2-3 hours after breakfast, I start getting very uncomfortable, so time to have beer. May have 1 more before going to bed at 5 AM-10 AM. But I take several liver protection pills.

Old 11-01-2013, 02:55 AM

1,824 posts, read 1,722,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymillionaire View Post
True at the end of the day thats what this comes to!

So far my liver looks good! On a bad day I can down 2-2and half bottles at night. I don't get me. I do NOT drink during the day but I dont know what it is about night time that I feel the need to drink? Anyone else had a similar experience?

Now regarding drugs, I cant explain this but there were times when I was younger & wasted on alcohol & I had free offers for Coke etc. As drunk as I was I ALWAYS said no to hard drugs so I dont understand this alcohol dependance.

Fear of not falling asleep at all or by a certain time can make a person feel the need for a "nightcap". And night time is generally so peaceful & quiet, one does not expect their drinking to be interrupted by some annoyance. Alcohol is a depressant (relaxant) but "Coke" would be a stimulant. Some prefer relaxants, some prefer stimulants, some either is OK or neither is OK.

If you drink & worry about liver damage, there are pills that can reverse liver damage in many. One is Himalaya Liver Care, about $20 for a 90 day supply, available on Amazon. On the market since '50s, most popular liver protection in the world, proven effective in many clinical trials. Best wishes.

Old 11-03-2013, 07:18 AM

18,028 posts, read 27,475,785 times
I first got sent to A.A. when I was 18. I first got ripped when I was 10. Since about 18 I've either been trying to quit or control my drinking.

Drugs were used to stay away from booze for a while. I got sent to A.A. again when I was about 28 and I've been doing A.A. pretty much ever since. I've been sober in A.A. for almost 10 years now.

I only liked to smoke when I was drinking but still found it hard to quit. I found quitting Copenhagen extremely hard to quit but have been off tobacco for over 7 years now. I quit cold turkey and used hard candy to mentally replace the urges for about a month then weaned off the candy. Easier said than done.

I am a recovered alcoholic. Alcohol is no longer my problem today. I neither fear it nor tempt it. It's just sort of off my radar. Drinking for me was a fast ticket to a higher plane of consciousness and I've found a sufficient substitute and it does for me what I cannot, involve seeking the Almighty God. Anything short of that is something besides A.A. A.A. is not about going to meetings, it's not a cult and it's not self-help.

If you need to get and stay sober or control your drinking and can find something besides A.A., do it and tell people what worked for you! I'm an alcoholic because I cannot control the amount once I start and I cannot keep myself from the first one... will power, mind control, love thy neighbor, remembering my last drunk... none of that works for me

If you'd like to discuss this further with me, feel free to dm me.

Last edited by McGowdog; 11-03-2013 at 07:37 AM..

Old 11-03-2013, 08:47 AM

3,074 posts, read 4,727,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
I first got sent to A.A. when I was 18. I first got ripped when I was 10. Since about 18 I've either been trying to quit or control my drinking.

Drugs were used to stay away from booze for a while. I got sent to A.A. again when I was about 28 and I've been doing A.A. pretty much ever since. I've been sober in A.A. for almost 10 years now.

I only liked to smoke when I was drinking but still found it hard to quit. I found quitting Copenhagen extremely hard to quit but have been off tobacco for over 7 years now. I quit cold turkey and used hard candy to mentally replace the urges for about a month then weaned off the candy. Easier said than done.

I am a recovered alcoholic. Alcohol is no longer my problem today. I neither fear it nor tempt it. It's just sort of off my radar. Drinking for me was a fast ticket to a higher plane of consciousness and I've found a sufficient substitute and it does for me what I cannot, involve seeking the Almighty God. Anything short of that is something besides A.A. A.A. is not about going to meetings, it's not a cult and it's not self-help.

If you need to get and stay sober or control your drinking and can find something besides A.A., do it and tell people what worked for you! I'm an alcoholic because I cannot control the amount once I start and I cannot keep myself from the first one... will power, mind control, love thy neighbor, remembering my last drunk... none of that works for me

If you'd like to discuss this further with me, feel free to dm me.
Psychic change thru the steps did it for me with the booze, just like it did it for you. It works, it really does.

Chantix worked for the cigarettes after hundreds of countless vain attempts for 45 years.
I'll be 6 years in January. "Free at last, free at last thank God Almighty I am free at last."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology