Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 09:50 AM

9,006 posts, read 13,831,283 times

Advertisements

This is why I think people should just say nothing,but nothing beats weight issues.

When people compliment others when they lose weight,such as my coworkers "compliment" me by saying"Oh,you look so young" or "you got so prettier".
Well,I don't see those as compliments.

For one,did I not look young when I was bigger?
Did I not look pretty bigger?

I then start to wonder what they thought about me when I was bigger.
Well,I do know since I regained no one says anything to me anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 12:00 PM

20,757 posts, read 19,951,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
wow, nothing is safe anymore. I will keep my compliments to myself.
That's how I feel now.

Old 01-16-2014, 01:02 PM

1,515 posts, read 2,272,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
That's how I feel now.
Nah, I still think compliments are nice. I'm pretty open with my compliments because it lifts people up and brings a smile to their face. I compliment strangers, I compliment friends, family. I like to find positive stuff in this crazy world of ours.

The double edged compliments are the ones that can go over so badly. Keep 'em simple in my opinion.

Old 01-16-2014, 03:17 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
wow, nothing is safe anymore. I will keep my compliments to myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
That's how I feel now.
Nah, that's not necessary. Just give a basic compliment without the editorial embellishments.

"You look nice." Not "You look a lot nicer than you did before" or some such variation.

"I like your haircut" or "Your haircut looks good", not it looks BETTER or makes you look younger, or some other double-meaning remark.

It's really quite simple. Be nice, or be quiet.

Old 01-16-2014, 03:19 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy20 View Post
Nah, I still think compliments are nice. I'm pretty open with my compliments because it lifts people up and brings a smile to their face. I compliment strangers, I compliment friends, family. I like to find positive stuff in this crazy world of ours.

The double edged compliments are the ones that can go over so badly. Keep 'em simple in my opinion.
Zackly.

Old 01-17-2014, 12:54 AM

687 posts, read 1,493,628 times
I try to give people the benefit of the doubt and believe most "non-compliments" mean no harm. They are probably squirming internally trying to figure out if they can fix it.

On the other hand, my SIL is one of the passive aggressive sorts. She's one that if you were to call her on her rudeness, she'd bat her eyes and insist that you were overly sensitive and that's not at all what she meant. Fortunately she lives clear across the country, and I've learned it's more fun to be SUPER appreciative of her "compliments" than to react in any negative way.

Old 01-17-2014, 02:02 AM

15,408 posts, read 6,192,353 times
Quote:

Yes, you are right. A simple, straightforward compliment almost always works fine.

Old 01-17-2014, 09:43 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:

Right - and though all of us can probably think of an example or two where we inadvertently stuck our foot in our mouths, it's usually not so hard to give a sincere compliment.

Right: "That color looks great on you!"

Wrong: "That color sure does look better on you than the color of the shirt you wore yesterday."

Right: "I love your new hairstyle."

Wrong: "Why did you cut your hair?" (Honestly, why do people ever even ask this?)

Right: "I knew I could count on you to help me with this problem. Thank you!"

Wrong: "Sometimes you get things right."

Right: "Come give me a kiss, you sweet boy!"

Wrong: "This is the first time I've ever seen you with a clean nose, so come give me a kiss."

Old 01-17-2014, 03:00 PM

4,991 posts, read 5,282,508 times
The compliment is because something has changed and someone else noticed the difference. In most of the examples, the person giving the compliment didn't say or even imply that the person looked bad previously. It's almost like the person receiving the complement has low self esteem and is looking for a way to be insulted. IMO, people are way too easily offended. Being easily offended is a rudeness in itself because everyone else has to deal with it.

I guess this is why nothing is described as just mediocre anymore. It's "amazing", "fabulous", or "to die for" even when it isn't.

Old 01-17-2014, 03:12 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,886,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
In most of the examples, the person giving the compliment didn't say or even imply that the person looked bad previously. It's almost like the person receiving the complement has low self esteem and is looking for a way to be insulted.
Really, in most of the examples?

What about mine:

"Wow, you look great! You lost a ton of weight!" [implication: you had a ton of weight to lose]
"I like your new hairdo--it's SUCH an improvement!" [implication: it looked bad before]

What about the examples other people posted: (I'm paraphrasing, didn't go back and copy/paste)

"You look so good, I didn't recognize you at first" [implication: looking good is unusual for you]
"I like your haircut, it takes years off your appearance" [implication: you looked old before]
"You look so beautiful today, I couldn't believe it was you!" [implication: looking beautiful is unusual for you]

Don't those imply that the person looked bad previously?

I mean, I'm definitely not a hypersensitive person, and I tend to get very annoyed by people with eggshell feelings. But those "compliments" above are certainly backhanded (if intentional) and inconsiderate (if unintentional).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology