Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2014, 12:11 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,884,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sade693 View Post
What's really sad about all this is it seems to just confirming different people's erroneous beliefs rather than making anyone take a step back and really think about what happened.

*The "incels" and lonely virgins of the internet are using it as evidence that all women are sheeple who are only interested in a very particular type of guy and who cruelly reject everyone else. (Hopefully this will at least make them qualify their false assertion that women only care about money. Dude was super wealthy, and his type of woman still wasn't interested).

*The people who mock "incels" and adult virgins are using this incident as evidence that the latter group are unstable losers.

*The rest of the country, too shallow see this incident as anything other than a reason to drum up tired political debates, are comfortable resting on the "oh, well, he was just mentally ill" conclusion. As with all these kinds of events, I find this reasoning (or lack thereof) the most disturbing. "Mentally ill" is not synonymous with "mass shooter", and to make the two equivalent is to stigmatize a slew of ailments that affect a sizable portion of the United States. That stigma makes people potentially at risk for an illness significantly less likely to want to see a therapist or psychiatrist.

Anyway, to answer the question, no. The real catalyst here, as has been mentioned already, is that the internet has created communities where people with no sense of personal accountability and who feel sorry for themselves can find support from like-minded people. Sometimes that support turns into horrifically misguided encouragement and reinforcement. But what can we do about that? Ban online communities? Hold forum moderators legally responsible for mentally unhinged posters? ...I can't think of any real solutions here.
I agree until the last paragraph. I often read his supposed homebase community (PUAH). Nobody there was overtly encouraging rampages, and some people were warning that the site had future crazies. Some members (which I wasn't) provided de facto emotional support and guidance to each other. I don't know why Elliot Rodger got such a warped idea of his own mate value, with an appearance that made him weird and creepy even before he opened his mouth (a la Cillian Murphy in Batman Begins - lol others have noticed) and height and ethnic background likely working against him. PUAH was fairly good at opening eyes as to what women want and aesthetically how men can look the way and would have called him out on his delusion. But I don't think he really asked for feedback there. By the way, I think the cops let him off because they were fooled by his wimpy, boyish typical incel demeanor. Edit: I think one change we might see in online communities is admins occasionally reviewing messages between members, i.e., "private messages" are no longer called such.

Enlightening news story - http://www.latimes.com/local/la-me-i...ry.html#page=1

Last edited by goodheathen; 05-25-2014 at 12:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2014, 12:13 PM

121 posts, read 121,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flathead4 View Post
Exploding bullets? Banana clip? Put down the XBox controller.
I see that reading is not fundamental in your world. Or did you miss the 1990 part? You know 24 YEARS AGO?!!!

I can see that I am wasting my time here.

Looks like it's dartboards against wallmaps for mental midgets such as yourself. I was more than willing to engage in a discussion with the thought that people could be reached in the name of prevention. But, I see it's more important to engage in "oneupsmanship" on an internet forum instead of intellectual discussion.

I'll just go grab the popcorn.

You people can grab a dart.

Old 05-25-2014, 12:20 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sludlowe View Post
OR we could euthanize mentally ill people and never have these problems
You first........

Old 05-25-2014, 12:21 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davros View Post
So you've heard and seen all average women getting hit on by average guys who had good intentions?
Average guys don't "hit on" women. Men are the top and the bottom of society. The guys at the top can pick and choose, the guys at the bottom are aggressive sociopaths, and the guys in the middle just go about their lives being decent guys. If your average woman sits around waiting for an average guy to "hit on" her, she's going to have a long wait.

Old 05-25-2014, 12:22 PM

2,777 posts, read 1,782,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad apples View Post
Most of those people are sad on the inside and that's why they make fun of others because of insignificant differences.
Actually, they've found the problem with bullies is that they have too much self-esteem, not that they're secretly unsure of themselves or insecure. They don't always bully others because they secretly feel weak, it's probably because they lack empathy. They enjoy tormenting the weak because they cannot identify with them... they might as well be swatting a mosquito.

There is definitely a growing trend towards hating the weak or the poor growing among young people. Narcissism is exploding as well... not just in terms of feeling entitled to sex, money, status, etc... but in terms of growing violently enraged if they aren't able to get these things. It's actually really scary.

These people refuse to admit that they might be flawed or need to improve, so they conclude the world must be at fault... and once they start to see themselves as above it all, then they stop seeing other people as people and start seeing them as evil oppressors.

I was a lot more of a narcissistic jerk in my 20s... it's something people go through. But combine that with the culture that is all about the consumer and the isolation of personal entertainment devices and endless amounts of distraction, media violence, moral relativity and sex, and its kind of surprising this doesn't happen more often... but it has definitely started becoming more common.

Old 05-25-2014, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
So, if this were the case, how is that any different than guys who claim they can't get a girl, but they're not hitting on the plain or less attractive girls, but only setting their sights on the hot girls? It goes both ways.
Much different. Men are the ones, at least traditionally, who do the chasing and initiating. These women in question are getting chased, just not by the chasers they want. Men are hoping not for who they ideally would want....they are hoping for anybody, but they're not getting any interest or attention from any female.

Old 05-25-2014, 12:24 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,651,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odo View Post
Actually, they've found the problem with bullies is that they have too much self-esteem, not that they're secretly unsure of themselves or insecure. They don't always bully others because they secretly feel weak, it's probably because they lack empathy. They enjoy tormenting the weak because they cannot identify with them... they might as well be swatting a mosquito.

There is definitely a growing trend towards hating the weak or the poor growing among young people. Narcissism is exploding as well... not just in terms of feeling entitled to sex, money, status, etc... but in terms of growing violently enraged if they aren't able to get these things. It's actually really scary.

These people refuse to admit that they might be flawed or need to improve, so they conclude the world must be at fault... and once they start to see themselves as above it all, then they stop seeing other people as people and start seeing them as evil oppressors.

I was a lot more of a narcissistic jerk in my 20s... it's something people go through. But combine that with the culture that is all about the consumer and the isolation of personal entertainment devices and endless amounts of distraction, media violence, moral relativity and sex, and its kind of surprising this doesn't happen more often... but it has definitely started becoming more common.
I've never seen research showing that bullies have high self-esteem.

Old 05-25-2014, 12:27 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,651,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Much different. Men are the ones, at least traditionally, who do the chasing and initiating. These women in question are getting chased, just not by the chasers they want. Men are hoping not for who they ideally would want....they are hoping for anybody, but they're not getting any interest or attention from any female.
I don't know. Are you telling me that if an average-looking or even ugly guy approached unattractive girls, that he would constantly get rejected? I don't know if I buy that.

Old 05-25-2014, 12:29 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davros View Post
Suppose what you say is true.

Then why are you wasting your time farting at the wind if nature/God designed it this way?

Accept what you cannot change, dude.
Darwinian politics has been pretty thoroughly discredited, "dude." If your answer to social problems is, "Nature/God made it that way," you don't belong in this society.

Old 05-25-2014, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
I don't know. Are you telling me that if an average-looking or even ugly guy approached unattractive girls, that he would constantly get rejected? I don't know if I buy that.
From my experience, I would be inclined to say yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology